Review on games on sale during Easter weekend

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Romeo Longsword, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Romeo Longsword

Romeo Longsword Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Hong Kong, London, Osaka
    Lots of good games on sale this weekend and I had problem making decisions on what to buy. At the end I brought a lot of games (compare to my usual spending rate) and I will try to give my rating on the games I have brought to help others.

Galaxy on Fire 2
    - at 4.99 USD, as it's rep show it's a really well developed game, lots of details on customizing your ship, different design of ship suit for different tasks, visual is pleasant and the action is nice.

However as many other space trading sandbox games out there, like I have played Wrapgate, you would trade a lot at first to save money and only to pick really the best one or two weapon combos and ships and set for the rest of the game, though you can free roam after the main quest, once you have completed the main storyline and got the items you want, the game become less interesting. I would not had brought this for more than a 4.99 game and would give GOF2 a 4.5 out of 5, but it is not a must buy in my personal opinion.

Superbrothers S&S: 2.99 this is not a sale price, but it's art, game culture and the sensation on sight and sound is so well designed that it truly worth the mention. FOr me 2.99 is a good prince for an artistic adventure game like this, may be a little bit like King's Quest in the old days but with much greater art and style, to me this is a must buy, 5/5.

Deadspace at 0.99 - We all heard enough about this well polished game, I personally got scared while playing with the headphones on at night, I am not a fan of scary games but this is a must buy as it is just a very well done game it would be a great miss out for not owning it on your iphone. 5/5.

Fight Night at 0.99 - Fantastic fighting game, I like boxing but not a huge fan personally, but the game's boxing feel in terms of tactics, combo and reaction, all these element makes this a typical boxing game in a very good way.

There are complaints about there are not enough boxers to fight against, I personally did not mind too much about that however I do feel that at the end of a Legacy mode experience, there are only runners and none runners as types of oppositions, and 3 mins x 12 round often is too long for my personal attention span. But one of this would stop be picking this game and to me it's a must buy. 5/5.

MMA EA Sport
    at 0.99 - Unless you are an MMA fan such as I, if you are already picking up Fight Night then I would not recommend you to get this one. It is very easy to win matches and the test of your reaction, in terms of being a fighting sport game, it's not the greatest I have experienced. My fighter has won about 40 games and had not lost 1 at the highest difficulty and I am not an expert in this. I will let this one slide though with 0.99 price tag it does not matter.

FIFA 11 at 0.99 - If you go to the appy store, one guy's review has given this a 5 stars and said, "nice game for toilet". I imagined that he would play this during his poo time, and he was right, it's not a game that you I could seriously put thought, plan or much expectation in it.

The game flow is fast, there appear to have a lot of game modes, but really, there are only 2, one off matches or you play a competition such as cup or league. There is no management, career modes in this, not to mention I think the play ratings and even their position are really quite outdated. I am a football fan and I would had let this one slide. 3/5.

NBA Jam at 0.99 - I am not a basketball fan, nor had I played this too much when this first came out on arcade back in the old days. But it is a very very fun game, the movement, animation is really satisfying, the players have different characters and abilities which you can pick to suit your style. so much better than FIFA 11, it's a good buy.

2. jgynwa11

jgynwa11 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Full-time iPhone Gamer
    Great reviews!

For Fight Night, you actually do have the option to reduce the number of rounds so it doesn't get too long.

I agree that FIFA 11 could do with a career mode or manager mode but it's still a great game (compared to PES 2011 or Real Soccer 2011) without those modes.

3. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Nice, succinct reviews. I like your idea of reviewing several games at once.

4. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Good job. Easy to read, and I think you are right.

5. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Couldn't people go to Video reviews or detailed reviews if they wanted these games?

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I tried only the lite version of Galaxy on Fire 2 and personally it feels like its enough for me. It is quite fun (combat was the minor weak point for me), but once you get to a certain point (getting the ships or equipment/weapons you want, mine & trade to your hearts content, and other things), the game doesn't draw me in anymore. I remember back with Freelancer on PC, after beating the game & doing a bunch of extra stuff until I got the stuff I wanted, I was just burnt out on the game (& genre).

For me, NBA Jam lite version feels perfect for me. The length is just right for me. The game is just as fun as I remembered back then (despite being slight more difficult to control compared to having physical buttons). I don't follow basketball so having all the teams and players doesn't really impact me since I don't know them.

7. jgynwa11

jgynwa11 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Full-time iPhone Gamer
    They could. But sometimes review sites tend to view games too technically and forget that the most important criteria for a good game is for it to be fun. That's why I always prefer to hear from a fellow gamer than from a website.

8. Stealthy Monk

Stealthy Monk Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Best line in any review ever! Is there where gaming is going on ios?

9. Romeo Longsword

Apr 7, 2011
    Hong Kong, London, Osaka
    #9 Romeo Longsword, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    2x Post.

10. Romeo Longsword

Apr 7, 2011
    Hong Kong, London, Osaka
    #10 Romeo Longsword, Apr 25, 2011
    I really like the decision you have made here.

For any space trader games on the iphone or in single player mode, they all ended up like what you have said. Which would just become aimless at the end, I am really surprised how expensive space trader games usually are on the market, the impression of these sandbox space trade games suggests endless hours of play, but really it isn't for points we have both mentioned above.

I think you have done great to just had tried the free version of the game and not had brought it, but it has an expansion coming out (never heard of that happened for an iphone game before) and also being a polished product I appreciate their work and management + attitude as a game company and thus they got the money from me :)

The problems with a lot of space trader games that does not ended up being an endless hours game, part of it is that you can't farm items like in RPGs, as you don't have "magic", nor do you have multilayer. I would like unlikely to buy any more space game in this format in the future.

I think you have done well on NBA Jam as well, but there are unique value in this game for it's humor and fun satisfaction that's worth the 0.99 from me.

Yes they sure could and should, when I am shopping for games, I often seek views from both the players and a number of reviewing sites, I found it very helpful to hear a collection of opinions espically from the players. That is why you would see people asking "is this any good" from posts here and thus I would like to try to help others who are in the middle of making these sort of decisions.

The Easter weekend had many good sales and likely people would not want to miss out some of these great deals and could do with some opinions before the weekend ends, you could of course also contribute to this area instead of challenging the value of this thread. :)

I have employed this culture of gaming and found it rather pleasant as a result :)

11. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Max and the Magic Marker is my favorite sale purchase. A platform game where you draw your own stairs, ramps etc. Awesome. This may look like a kids game, but it's actually quite challenging to get the fastest times. I ignored this game when it first came out, but now consider it one of my favs. Some people have commented on T.A that it's difficult to draw, but IMO the drawing is perfect. Grab this one!

Fight Night Champion is an iphone / ipod game (no iPad version yet) so I got it for my ipod, despite usually getting iPad apps only. The game is fun, especially knocking out a real champ like Ali. It's got a career mode, where you try to re-build the career of a chosen boxer. I'm glad I nabbed this one for a buck too.

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    While I can afford to get these games, I guess I still have really good self control (despite always wanting to buy games).

I think the main problem with sandbox games are like you mentioned. I get bored with these and am not too interested to keep exploring. I think I would like GoF2 if the space combat is more fun (at least for me). I read though part of the long GoF2 thread and other reviews and it seems like the combat through the whole game is pretty weak. I'm not as into the trading or the mining part. I am still pretty tempted though.

Yeah, for NBA Jam, I'm pretty sure EA will eventually have another 0.99 sale again. If I want to get it again, I"ll just wait for the next holiday... Mother's day is coming up in a few weeks.. lol

13. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Title: Review on games on sale during Easter weekend
    Then:
    FAIL.

Btw, as covered on Toucharcade front page, the one must have game from this Easter sale is Dead Space.

But yeah, NBA Jam is awesome and Fight night is great.

14. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Um, fail? Did you even read the rest of the sentence:

Who failed now? :cool:

15. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Still, it's not on sale, so why put it in a 'games on sale' thread? Why not just create a separate thread if he loves it so much instead of sneaking it in? So more people notice the promotion like a subliminal message? lol.

16. mcwaller123

mcwaller123 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Student
    Montreal
    #16 mcwaller123, Apr 25, 2011
    Disagree totally abt the FIFA 11 review! Thats one of my fav soccer games,or even games that is currently in the app store and for now,you couldnt find any better then that,and i got more then 350+apps and from them,like i said,this one is one of my top! And im not alone to think like that,as you can see ,in many stores,im usin' canadian one,After EA brang up a 0,99$ sale to it and after the update with new bugs fixes,retina display(wonderful graphics,even better then the Ps2 and similar or better then the PSP too!),and Local Multiplayer(mhh yeah ppl are more interested to get Online multiplayer features,not Local...) well the game has only 5 stars rates and came up to the top 50,25 and +! Great gameplay and great stuffs too,ony issue with it is that they got to update the squads/teams or that we trade players by ourselves..,to bring more features that was on te previous Fifa games for iphone,like Be a Pro Mode... And of course to get online multiplayer...thats it! If we get those,that game would be more then perfect! And it is worth more then 5$ in my opinion!Compared to Pro Evolution Soccer and x2 soccer,thats the best,like i said,game of that type that you could find for now. I think that youre a bit to severe/rough and hard with the review and this app should earn and deserve more then a 4.5/5 rate!

Other then that,the reviews of others are ok,not complete and well made ones,except for GOF2, but are sayin probably the general of the content in those games,and i think that this thread shouldnt be here too and should be in the User Reviews section ok... Mhhhhh :p !!!

17. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Yes, exactly like that. ;):D

18. Romeo Longsword

Apr 7, 2011
    Hong Kong, London, Osaka
    #18 Romeo Longsword, Apr 25, 2011
    Because the idea of the thread is about helping others to make decision on what to buy for many great deals this weekend, not about policing or showing you are so clever that you realize Supoerborthers is currently not on sale (lol).

You have to understand what is your favorite is not everyone's favorite, telling us that you have 350 apps does not make your view more valuable, people have different backgrounds and views, just listen to them all but keep your own? You don't have to say "sorry I don't agree you are wrong now begone!" It's very primitive.

You are free to review on others reviews, but I am rather content on what I have offered, which are comments on rather I think these games worth the money, you can take it or leave it, but I hope you or others can found it helpful, nevertheless what I wrote are a little bit more helpful than your last section of comment I am sure.

19. mcwaller123

mcwaller123 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Student
    Montreal
    Yeah ur right,but well was sayin that i got 350apps/games to tell u that i got experience by reviewing games in the appstore and also now here too(made for Coin Drop! And Nhl2K11)...and i was just sayin sry as a jk,you know,cuz i of course already know that many have their taste and all and all,but i was also afraid that if ppl that didnt have the game and that can probably enjoy it like me and most of ppl,and look at the review that you made for it and is thinking to not buy it,well thats why i wrote a reply to disagree,and i want to let ppl now my "review version" too to see if he could posssibly grab it for 0,99$ that is a great deal for i(still in my opinion...)t,and to see if he will like it like many,and cuz like u said again,ppl have different taste....

And all of those games are good for some and arent for others......you can say that ur makin this to show ppl if it is worth the money,but anyway theyre on sale and u couldnt also know what ppsl taste are... And when u said that ur tryin to be helpful with ppl,thats what i was trying to do to let know ppl to think about grab Fifa or not,was givin' and completing what u said by giving them more info about it and givin them another review for them like to compare,understand what i wanna mean? :) and u couldnt say that your little review is better then mine or anything,cuz i was just trying to complete your review with more info of it and i just changed up the rate(i make complete reviews of NHL2k11(biggest&huge one!) and also of Coin Drop!(small one) that u can find in the user reviews part section of the touch arcades forums...if u want too see my "real" reviews there...)...and me too i wanna help ppl so lets not make a war/disaster convo and replys eachother abt that too.... :) :D :)

20. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    We all can see that :p

Lol, you don't have to be that defensive. If anything, it's you who are saying 'my review is better now begone from my thread'. He's just saying his opinion about the games.. Or is no one allowed to say anything except 'thanks for the super awesome reviews' in this thread? :eek: