Universal Blazing Star - (by SNK Playmore)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 25, 2012.

1. TravisR2H

TravisR2H Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I hope toucharcade does an article on SNK's recent releases. These are very high quality releases from a major arcade developer. This is what I was hoping for when the Icade was developed.

I hope Toucharcade can give them some exposure to encourage them to keep releasing these with Icade support. I will definitely be buying every release if it has Icade.

2. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Didn't see this one coming. I guess I'll be getting this one too along with "manos" tonight.:D

3. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #23 soldat7, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    DotEmu again? Insta-buy.

Edit: Bluetooth multiplayer? Insta-insta-buy

Edit 2: Controls are a bit tough for me.

4. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    #24 drloony, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    This game is too hard to control, makes you appreciate how cave ports their games with flawless controls. Then you play a what seems like a great game but I can't even play it on iPad, maybe I need an icade controller? Even on IPhone the game is hard to control cause finger blocks the screen. Insta delete :(

5. Yikes, the controls are bad? The ipad is really uncontrollable, is this true? I was about to buy this program. Oh well will wait and see what others say.

6. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Sadly, it is difficult to control (you get *sorta* used to them.) DotEmu is a good dev though, so I'm sure it will be updated.

7. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    It controls kinda sluggish, but still playable. Surely it'll get updated. Just hope the NeoGeo games keep on coming to ios...

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    What makes the controls bad? Is it direct touch? God I hope not. If so they definitely didn't do their iOS homework...

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It's relative touch and joystick options...

But the ship speed hasn't been increased to go as fast as you can move your finger... Which is what I think snoop means by sluggish.

I don't have a problem with it, I'm totally LOVING this one!

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Ah that doesn't usually bother me, though I know many people don't like the feel of it. Games like this would be way too easy if you could just zip around as fast as your finger can move. I'll definitely be picking this up.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Totally agree... This isn't some bullet hell title,even on the hardest difficulty... It doesn't come close to the amount of bullets that cave games have... So there's no real reason to have super speedy ships... I think it feels perfect, especially using a joystick on my iPad... Which I normally hate. The relative touch feels great on the iPod... Though on the iPad... If you're use to holding it instead of laying it down, it might feel a little strange. =o/

12. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Loving this game, SNK is on a roll!

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Those controls...christ, if I wasn't loving everything else, I would just frickin' delete this in an instant. :/ DotEmu did another spectacular job of porting this over, but man the controls are just so frustrating.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Find the controls fine, relative touch works well, havent tried the 'joystick' option yet. Really liking this, be great if SNK keep releasing a new game every 2 weeks

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    My main problem with the controls is probably my fault, because I usually play horizontal shumps by controlling the ship with my right hand. So, you can move the controls, yeah? Well yeah, you can....but you can't place the A and B buttons in the lower left corner. Automatic pain in my hand within five minutes...now, if this had auto-fire, that wouldn't be a problem...but yeeeeeep. Don't know what to do with this one right now.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Get your point, are you left handed then or is just your preference for shoot em ups ?

An option to auto-fire or switch buttons to the other side would be good but so far i'm loving SNK's releases. Shame they dont do much publicity about them but on the other hand its a great surprise when these suddenly appear on a wednesday night

17. DotEmu

DotEmu Well-Known Member

Controls

Hello all,

Yes, we did take into account original speed ships (which are different) into the touch mode controls algorithm, in order not to make the game too much easy. We do understand from feedback here that some people are looking for "1:1" touch mode controls (ship moving as fast as your finger).

Let us discuss with SNK Playmore if we can push an update with "1:1" ship speed mode, as some people here are more used too. Might take a few weeks, though.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    By the way (grovel grovel), great work in the last couple of weeks with Metal Slug (thankyou !) and Blazing Star

Please could you answer these questions...

Can both games be icade compatible ? I heard Metal Slug is but i cant get it working, doesnt seem to be an obvious option in the game ?

Also i take it there'll be more SNK/Dotemu games coming out ? Great job so far with them, would be nice to hear some hype about them (so its not a complete surprise when they suddenly appear)

Got both of them, great stuff

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm right handed, but yeah...it's just a preference. I'm slowly getting used to...well, the pain (lol) but I dunno...I just want to delete it, but I can't. The more and more I play, the more the game grabs me...that descent during the boss fight in level 3 just made me go WOAH!!!

20. I want this bad, but hearing about the controls.... Well, I'm sure that I will do what I always do and buy it, hmmmm... What should I do?