Dear God, how do I force myself to play the games that I buy?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Empfmil, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Empfmil

Empfmil Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    You all know about it and you are probably all doing it, buying more games than you have time to play. New and shiny releases and sales are too tempting, I know. So how can I (we) figure out a way to actually force ourselves to play more of the games that we buy? I don't have a good answer to that, so thats why I'm asking for any pro tips to solve this particular problem.

The only good way I've found to actually play some more games is when I visit mom or dad who lives a bit out on the countryside where the internet connection is shite and there is not much to do except taking the dogs for a walk. So I end up spending the evenings playing more ios games than usual.

Sometimes when I have a few games on my phone I feel unsure about I will say to myself that I will try them all for at least 5-10 min, and the ones that don't still interest me after that time, I will delete and completely forget about.

So, what's the cure for this disease then? How can I more easily get over the hump of actually playing the games that I buy? Leave suggestions and witty comments at your leisure.

2. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Just play 'em god damnit!

No seriously, I put all new games on a page and all games I'm currently playing on another page. Then, I have a page with all my game directories labeled by genre, that everything gets moved to eventually. Works pretty well for me although sometimes I just stare at them all, trying to decide what to play next.

3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    In the end I just add almost all games I want to my Appshopper wishlist.. I try to buy only 1 or 2 at a time and then play until I'm finished or until it gets too frustrating. Then I just move on to the next game on my wishlist. If something happens to be on sale, then that's great. If not, its fine too. I don't get hung up on 100% finishing games though since like you mentioned, there's always new stuff coming out.

As a side benefit using this method for me...sometimes after a week or two I'll remove games from my wishlist that I added mostly due to hype. This really helped control my purchases. I also find if I buy games that's on a sale, I tend to finish these less (cause I think I'm "wasting" less money)! lol...

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    There is a social group called "Anonymous Appoholics" in the tA social groups section.
    I assume that hundreds, if not thousands of tA users share your problem. Including me.

5. Empfmil

Aug 23, 2012
    Somedg: sounds like a good tip thanks :)

Vov: i can't find the group through the TA app? Please help?

6. saucybag

saucybag Active Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I suffer from this too and I'm starting to find that I was putting loads of games on my device at once because A: i can and B: it seems like a waste not to fill it, but I just ended up treading water. So I started to make a "purchased" list and began focusing on one Main game at a time whilst having one or two pick up n play titles on at the same time and I have ended up ticking off so many titles from that list in the past year. Good luck with it dude

7. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Do the games you play add value to your life?

While it's hard to stop acquiring games that drop to free or go on sale, keeping in mind that your time is valuable and is the trade off worth it, might help you to decide which games to download in the first place, which games to keep, which games to play more of and which games to play less of and ultimately delete. I struggle with this constantly.

Anyone reading this might want to do a google search for "the minimalists" and read a pretty cool blog (not mine) about how to implement minimalism into their lives in order to simplify life and spend time doing things that you love with people you love as opposed to spending time acquiring things (iOS games) which only temporarily fills your life with happiness.

8. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I love this. I recently started getting rid of games on my PS3 and my iPhone. I'm trying to clear them out and have a core few. Having so many games made me feel like I had to get to them all eventually.

9. Empfmil

Aug 23, 2012
    Well its very hard to say that videogames, comics, movies etc give much meaning to my life as opposed to being a decent pastime. But you see its not that my free time is precious, i have an abundance of free time since i am suffering from both a nasty liver disease and also kidney cancer and can't work and don't have the strength to even leave my apartment for long. So I do soend the time reading comics, playing steam games and ios games, and watching movies to take my mind off how difficult life feels sometimes. But maybe i have still aquired too many things to pass the time and should think of quality over quantity instead. I should focus on a few very good games and finish them instead of buying more, but its hard not to get tempted by sales and new releases :)

10. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    You were spot on with the quality not quantity part.

I've had my ioad just over a year and went mad for first six months buying anything at sight etc it doesn't take long to end up with a full device, and at first I'd keep paid games that I didn't enjoy so much and delete free ones that I thought were better because I felt like I was throwing money away deleting paid apps.

I've stopped buying games right at launch unless it's really something I want, I'll add them to my watch list and pick up the next week if I still want them, more often not I'm not so crazy about them, and the ones I do purchase keep me going til the week after.. I still end up with more than I can play somehow but I'm not spending as much as I used to as my vouchers seem to last longer.
    Sometimes even waiting a day before hitting buy makes all the difference once the initial "want want want" has worn off.

If games and Comice etc get you thought the day and distract you from the awful pain you must suffer then they are adding quality to your life. I'd say dload anything you want if it makes you feel better and makes you happy. Not the advice you wanted I guess lol.

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Chances are anything you buy will just become a freemium convert before you get a chance to play it anyway. Worked for me, haven't bought anything for iOS for a long time and I think Table Top Racing was that final nail. And ignore the forum hype, I think people just rush in and try to be early discovering the next big thing for the week and generally over compensate.

12. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sorry but,
    That's highly illogical
    :)