Releasing on iOS free or paid version? And some promotion advices needed.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fynteam, Jan 21, 2017.

1. fynteam

fynteam Member

Oct 10, 2016
  2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Low installs could be partially due to your game title. Chess puzzle makes me think of those "get the King in 3 turns" chess exercises/riddles you have in newspapers. Going by title and screenshots I'd say niche game, which automatically means less downloads.

Free/paid depends on quite a few things:
    - your current monetisation model
    - how does it fare on Android, earnings-wise? Afaik Android players are even more reluctant to spend than iOS folks.
    - how much effort it is to rework it into a paid title
    - audience: looks like a rather casual game, so free should be better

Steam Greenlight:
    I know next to nothing about how things go there these days. If it's not much work to release a Steam version, give it a shot.

Marketing/promotion:
    Most important detail is missing: what's your budget?
    Without knowing that, I assume zero and can only give the usual advise: try to stoke interest on gaming sites and social media. Of course, this is more difficult if you don't have a good follower base already.
    If you didn't already, make a game thread here on TA. Contact other sites as well, but don't count on getting any replies, that's pretty much up to luck.

3. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Your game has a very nice, clean look to it.

Do you have a trailer or gameplay video? for my game the videos have helps spread the word. Its a great way to give people an overview of what they are getting:)

4. fynteam

fynteam Member

Oct 10, 2016
    I changed game title from chess puzzles to logic puzzles but effect is zero.

My current model is Ads between levels and IAP. But due to a small amount of installs revenue is small.

It's Unity and I can compile for different platforms and it's not difficult.

Yes, now my budget is zero and I try to post my game to different sites but result is sad.

Yes, I have video(link on this forum in my first post), but not very good for publishing in market. I'm working on it now.

5. mokoolapps

mokoolapps Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Male
    Mobile App Developer
    First, congrats, the game looks interesting.

I would suggest free for iOS, you got a plan of making money. If you go paid you may not even get people in the door unless you have a brand or really detailed game play that goes viral. The good news is that Apple revenue is higher then Android revenue in my experience.

You need to be constantly tweaking and testing your title, keywords etc...

For Apple App Store Promotion, email [email protected] to see if you can get a App Store Feature.

6. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Let me say: game looks damn good. Gameplay seems fun too.
    I think the problem is marketing, as always. Hard to get a word out on your game these days.
    Strong competition from big boys.

I suggest u release as paid first on iOS. See if Apple notices it or not. Then, you can always
    update to a free+in app purchases later (or free+ ads).

Good luck to you.

7. Bestreviewapp4u

Bestreviewapp4u New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    the methods of app promotion

Hello, there!
    I have read your posts and summarized your questions as following points:
    1. you want to get more app installs and revenues with effective methods
    2. you don't know whether you should upload your app in iOS with free or paid version
    3.is it worth to try put the game on steam greenlight?

the answer to question 1:
    in terms of your situation, your app have high quality and most users who have installed your app would like to leave high ratings. Therefore,you have to do app marketing to make your app become more popular so that get more installs. There are some tips of app marketing:

1. advertising in popular social media
    2. write some blogs to introduce your app
    3. celebrity effect
    4. offline advertising
    5. cross promotion
    6. email marketing

the tips of making money with your app:
    1. IAP
    2. time-limited installs
    3. advertising in your app
    4. freemium
    5. Subscription
    6. Offer wall
    7. collaborate with a reliable app store optimization company(ASOTOP1)

the answer to question 2:
    Actually, uploading your app in different platforms is an effective method to get more app install, and the iOS have more potential marketing and users. About the version of your app, I recommend you create a free version to do, because most users would like to install your app with free version. You can get revenue from other methods that I have mentioned above.

Sorry I have no idea about the question 3, but I will learn more information about this question.Hope these methods can help you a lot!

8. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Your app looks pretty damn good. How long did it take you to make it? If I were you, I would try and release for iOS. I think you'll get a lot more downloads.