Universal Arkanoid vs Space Invaders (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, May 18, 2017.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'd agree on the whole "Yeah but what happens when they shut down the servers" thing if we were talking some brand new indie dev no one ever heard of releasing a questionable game that might get pulled from the App Store at any moment... But Taito has been around since 1953, Enix since 1975, and Square since 1983.

Of their mobile games, the most apt comparison to this game would be Space Invaders Infinity Gene which has been on the App Store, without interruption, since 2009. Really the only decent criticism of Squeenix on the App Store is sometimes they can take a while to update their games and they exist in a weird kinda-sorta half-broken state after major iOS updates. But, when this happens, it's not like they're the only one doing the "Oh shit, the new iOS broke all of our games" dance.

At the end of the day we're talking a four dollar mobile game, it's not like we're investing in bars of gold and silver we're going to throw in our safe and save for when our kids graduate college. Hell, I just ate a $5 sandwich I will quite literally poop out tomorrow. Enjoy Arkanoid vs Space Invaders for what it is and don't worry about whether or not you'll be able to play it in a decade.

2. cenn

cenn Active Member

Aug 14, 2015
    #22 cenn, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    just some info as to why it seems like a freemium game.

this used to be marketed as a Line game under the name Line Arknoid va Space Invaders, and it was released in Japan a while back.

Japan mobile games are usually smaller than 100mb so that they can be downloaded without the need for wifi, then need further downloads from there.
    so i wouldn't say they're being dishonest or anything.
    what you're all getting is a Line game re-released as a premium game in North America.

edit: it's officially a thing. Taito has re-released it in Japan as a premium game, Square Enix is just the NA publisher.
    Taito has been pretty good with all its iOS apps so i wouldn't worry about this one disappearing.
    personally i think the mechanics were pretty solid, it's like one big Taito game mash-up celebration.

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Thanks. Downloaded and for some reason the post install download also went fast. Maybe just hit the server at the right time?

Haven't had time to play but looking forward to it.

4. bigghurt

bigghurt Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2012
    So I know this is kind of a strange thing to bring up but the last oh I don't know 10 games I downloaded from squeenix have had extra downloads. Also Namco bandai games so I'm a little surprised anyone is angry about something like that.

5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #25 Qwertz555, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Reading Taito, i always hope for a new Raystorm or Dariusburst type of game. Pity. But this very fast and positive review, my love for Break-Invaders and a full account (finally) let me download this little pearl immediately. The additional download took me not even two minutes. No biggie, for me.

Initial imps...love that i can move my paddle left-right AND up-down to define a straight shot when needed. I guess that some strategical decisions will grow out of this. Controls are great. Giving me volume sliders and language settings, is giving you some big hugs for both in return, thanks!

Whenever i thought i made a better score by replaying all early levels, nope, i still can't get gold. I might have to return later, i'll see...

Only a few levels in, but i love this mash-up and would recommend it, already.

Edit: i got a different and colorful icon than the one shown here on TA. Underneath it says AvsI

Edit: completing a sector unlocks hard mode. Here you get gold. Tough as nails it is, because time is reduced plus dodging powerdowns.

6. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Damn since Chaos Rings 3 i think i rarely enjoyed a mobile game so much. Instant GOTY for me.

Very fun, brings out a LOT of nostalgia here (almost 40y old, i miss my amstrad 6128 Q.Q )

7. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Lol, imagine how old I am because I had a CPC 464 :)

8. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    This game is actually extremely fun I have been playing for a couple of hours . I don't know about you guys I didn't even have to wait for a download it just brought me straight to gameplay tutorial. Though I prefer the icon that is shown here rather then the one that is actually on my home screen.

9. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area

More nostalgia, you say? Head over to the New Lode Runner thread and join the rest of us old guys for today's double dip into the past (yes, I've got quite a few years on you.) #

10. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Yay, fellow Amstrad survivors! I had a CPC 464. Gosh, our demands for games were lower then. Kids these days...

This does look cool. I don't understand why people are complaining about an additional 80Mb download though. I'm not dismissing your complaints - I just want them explained! I think the only time it has bothered me was for a Bandai Namco game, which would do it all the time, practically every second or third time I booted the game up. great game though.

11. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Old school gamer here... apple 2 computer here!

12. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Maybe they found a fix? I DL game from App Store in 30 seconds. Opened app, read story, said would DL with wifi and it DL in 45 secs. Not sure if it needs to DL even more?

13. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    #33 Mattosai, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    And according to your nick, i guess you're french like me :D yeah the cpc 464 was with tapes , with face A and B and waiting haha, old good times :)

i think i did A6128 > nes > amiga500 > amiga1200 then ibm pc etc (ultima underworld, wing commander , gahhh)

For the download i like in app downloads in my case because unlike a full 300mo app requiring wifi , you can use cellular data (4G is a LOT faster than my home wifi connection and i have a 40Gb phone plan.)

14. Deckard74

Deckard74 Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2012
    My very first computer was an Acorn Electron, now does anybody in here remember that chunky breadbin!

Regarding the game, I'm loving it, nice gradual difficulty ramping with some fun replayability with the Hard mode to get the gold medals and lots of different characters/weapon customisations to beat the levels. Seeing that Rainbow Islands character also made me nostalgic for the Amiga 500 version of that game, a perfect coin-up conversion #

15. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    1. Qwertz555, thank you very much for explaining the medals system.

2. Owned an Apple IIC. Absolutely loved all of the Sierra Online Adventure games, but to go from one screen to the next, loading times were insane. Thank goodness for those hint books with the markers over at Electronics Boutique!

16. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Yes I'm French lol, I remember the hard time I had to type hundreds of code lines from specialized magazines to run a very basic game and after spent the night to find out where are the bugs... I remember also my first 8086 based PC which was a Tandy 1000 SX without hard drive. I still have the game "Lode runner" on a 5 1/4 floppy disk.
    I have also a Bouygues 4g plan because I don't have ADSL..

17. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Man this game is fabulous!

Btw, if you want a good read check out Shaun's article.

18. retroboy27

retroboy27 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Male
    Data Analyst
    Ohio, USA
    #38 retroboy27, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Not entirely unrelated. They're all classic Taito titles from the old arcade days. It's a pretty awesome game, even without the nostalgia factor.

19. crazychimp

crazychimp Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I loved my Amiga 1200, nothing like playing Rise of the Robots which came on 10+ floppy disks. The Amiga was so much better than the Commador 16 plus 4 it replaced :)

20. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Hell yeah!!

I am LOVING this game!!! It's so well done. I love the price. I love the control. I love pretty much everything.

You really cannot go wrong here.

Billy