About app store: isn't the place after ©(copyright) left for developers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by banaroo, Jun 14, 2011.

1. banaroo

banaroo Member

May 26, 2011
    #1 banaroo, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    Is the company after "©" in app store the game developer? If it is, why is it a differen one in pocketgamer website? "
    I used to thought the company title after © was the game developer, but I get confused now as I find the game "Diner Dash" and "Slice it!".
    Pocketgamer shows In-house is the developer of "Slice it!" while Other Ocean Interactive for "Diner dash", so I went to official website of Other Ocean Interactive and found that's it!
    Why should publishers take over the place left for developers EVEN IN APP STORE?
    How's that?:confused:

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    do you mean a developer of the same name took the place of another?

4. banaroo

banaroo Member

May 26, 2011
    I mean, I saw from the website "pocketgamer" that the developer of "Slice it!" is "In-house", while the developer of "Diner dash" is "Other Ocean Interactive", but in app store, the company name after "©" is just the name of their publishers.
    Additionally, I visited the official website of "Other Ocean Interactive" and found "Diner dash" is developed by it indeed.
    so the place after "©" in app store is not for the developer?

5. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    From what I know (which isn't that much) of how copyrights work, the distributor of the game might actually own the rights for it. Or it's just the appstore automatically adding that symbol at the end of things.

6. Eupatria

Eupatria Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    That's the problem
    Big Apple
    #6 Eupatria, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    So your question can be put actually in this way "whose info should I refer to? Pocketgamer or app store?

7. banaroo

banaroo Member

May 26, 2011
    So if I were a developer, I will lose the right of my game as the publisher published it?
    Is it necessarily so? As I know it's not applied to Chillingo...

8. banaroo

banaroo Member

May 26, 2011
    You guessed it!
    Sorry for my poor expression:(

9. Supper001

Supper001 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2011
    Sportsman
    I also find this problem. Each time before I buy a game, I'll browse some reviews about this game. Once before I download Legendary Wars, I happened to find that in Pocketgamer, it says that the publisher is Appular and the developer is Greyhound Games. However, in the Appstore, it says that the publisher is Liv Games and the seller is Liv Games too. I was totally confused and get this game out of my game list. Why this kind of disaccordance just happens? Who is the real developer and publisher?

10. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I don't know much about this. Let's see if someone else knows anything. Maybe you could also ask in the developers forum? People there probably have more experience.

11. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    @Banaroo:
    it's probably due to the license agreement that a dev signs with a publisher- like if they sign over all the assets to the publisher, then they might not get credit.

Also, FYI: "In-house" is not a developer. It means that the development of a game is done by one of the publisher's own studios.

12. banaroo

banaroo Member

May 26, 2011
    I was wondering if there is any "agreement" cases involved to get this confused, but it's hard to get a conclusion.
    Maybe I should turn to developer section for help.
    Thanks anyway:)

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think it's determined on a case-by-case basis. In general though, you'll see the developer's logo on the game's splash screen... probably along with the publisher's logo, but they're either obvious because you've heard of them or wouldn't take too long to hunt down via Google.