iPhone TanZen for iPad is coming soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Little White Bear Studios, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    #1 Little White Bear Studios, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
    Our most successful game on the iPhone is coming to the iPad! If you're a TanZen fan, this new version delivers the same great experience you loved on the iPhone, but adds even more Zen goodness to the mix. We hope you find these additions a compelling reason to pick up the iPad version of the game. As always, TanZen is predominately the work of myself, and my wife, in addition to the wonderful audio work done by Atomicon. Your continued support means a lot to us, and we hope you enjoy TanZen for a long time to come, in whatever form you choose to play it in.

New Features:

- Entirely new graphics!
    Everything is new, and built from scratch. You want HD? You got it! TanZen for the iPhone clocked in at about 4.5MB. TanZen for iPad looks like it's going to easily hit 50MB before we're finished.

- Dramatically increased sandbox for solving puzzles!
    No more cramped space. Enjoy a vast sandy background, where there's room to explore all your puzzle solving ideas.

- Multiple sand backgrounds
    In addition to the traditional TanZen background, you'll also get a number of subtly textured backgrounds to choose from, to add a little spice to your Zen playground.

- New achievement system!
    As always, all puzzles are unlocked from the start. But for every page of puzzles you finish, something fun will be unlocked!

- All the puzzles from the iPhone version, plus more!
    Puzzles have been reshuffled, so you'll get a mix of new and old puzzles throughout.

- New puzzle picker layout, showing many more puzzles per page
    Easier progress tracking, with much less scrolling.

- Multiple save slots for family play
    Sharing your iPad with the family? All possible options and progress are now saved per player.

- Streamlined interface for all menus and options, with everything accessible from the main screen
    All options can be accessed via a single button from the puzzle or the picker screen. Everything is done through custom popups, so you will never leave your main screen. Change options, and watch the changes happen live.

- Support for left and right landscape orientations
    Want your headphone jack on a particular side? You got it!

- In game iPod music picker
    Enjoy the standard TanZen music, or pick your own, from inside the game.

- Hints on top
    Every double tap will reveal a hint above everything else on the screen, which means no more hints hiding behind other pieces.

- Last puzzle played button
    The button that returns you to the puzzle picker screen now acts as a "last puzzle" button when you're in the puzzle picker. No matter what page you scroll to in the picker, pressing this button will open the last puzzle you had been working on.

- Optimized rotation ring
    The ring has been resized to better fit the new piece sizes, and allow for easier selection of pieces that are near each other.

- Improved Masters Mode layout
    The thumbnail image has been moved to top center, allowing for easier viewing, and a return to the traditional TanZen placement of the default pieces.

- Volume controls for sound effects
    Full range volume control for the sounds, instead of just on/off.

- Custom, themed, popups
    No more blue popup system messages. Now when you're in TanZen, you're really IN TanZen.

2. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    I just had an orgasm.

3. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
  5. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Same here. DANG, that's amazing.

6. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Glad you like it! :)

7. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Wow that looks great! Color me excited. :D

8. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks a bunch! :)

9. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    If I get an iPad this'll be one the first things I'll get. Hopefully you guys can make it so that pieces can be rotated with two fingers

10. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    It has been discussed, but since we don't have an actual iPad to test that sort of thing on, that's not something that can go into version 1.0. We'd need to do a lot of playing with an iPad to see if such a control scheme option makes sense.

11. lanstar

lanstar Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Wow it looks awesome! Will it be a universal app? Or a standalone new ipad app?

12. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks! It will be standalone. Its file size will be too big for universal, plus we couldn't afford the work involved without making it a separate game.

13. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Really looking forward to this! Also, I have a suggestion for the pop-ups. First, where's the button you tap to choose options? If it's on the side, there should be a little wooden rectangle coming out of the top, connecting to the button, like Apple's pop-up boxes that are new in 3.2.

Otherwise, it looks amazing! This will probably be one of my first iPad buys. Make sure you submit before March 27th so you get to be in the grand opening! :)

14. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    The big black rock(button) on the bottom right side of the screen brings up the menu bar. The menu bar contains all the buttons for options, help, skins, etc. Pressing one of them brings up a sub menu. Pressing anywhere outside a menu area removes the menus entirely. Perhaps popups isn't the best term. Think of them more as sliding trays.

Glad you like it! No plans for launch day. Letting Apple test the game for us is not good enough. They make sure it doesn't crash, and not much else. The simulator does not let us test important things like iPod music picking, general feel and rightness of the UI at the correct iPad size, and anything to do with performance. So, there will need to be a final testing and fit n' finish phase after we get a device on the 3rd. If there are no surprises, it will be on the store shortly after launch. :)

15. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Whoa. Freaking amazing. :eek: Definitely a first minute purchase for me.

16. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Awesome, Mew! Figured we could count on your support! :)

17. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Damn you bear, stop trying to make me buy a iPad with such a good looking port too the iPad! :mad: :p

18. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    yes, spend $500-600 on an ipad just for a (how much is this going to cost?) ipad tanzen port ;)

19. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Hey, read my username! Now do you understand why i would do that? :p

20. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Just think, what I'm showing you are just the defaults. :)