Contacting Reviewers Through Twitter?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Micah B, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Micah B

Micah B Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to both marketing games AND Twitter. We spent a year developing our first game Forces of Nature and marketing has been a fail so far. I emailed a bunch of game review sites and we got a couple reviews but I think I need to do another round.

I've heard people say it can work well to talk to reviewers through twitter.. but how do you do this is a non-rude way? Like what exactly would the tweet look like?

Thanks!!

2. ns804apps

ns804apps Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Normal interaction you need dialog with them before you ask for a favor. If they post about a review and you like the review or the game let them know they are people too and people like to help people they know.

3. ryansumo

ryansumo Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Freelance artist
    Manila
    I can sympathize, it can be a little tricky to get your game in front of people without sounding like a total douche.

Just be friendly. Try to respond to tweets that aren't necessarily just about you or promoting your game.

Here's one tip to be able to talk about your game in a not so douchey way. reviewers will often post about their (shock!) reviews on twitter. You can reply, saying that you liked the review or that you were pleased to find out about the game they reviewed (hopefully all true) and maybe they'd like to check out your game too sometime in the future.

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I can't even find your game via a google search which doesn't bode well for it. I think the name might be an issue. Want to provide a link so we can see what you are talking about?

5. Wizardo

Wizardo Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    THIS

Everybody on Toucharcade who've made a game should have a link in their signature. I love checking out poster's games.

Elevator Joe looks cool BTW.

6. Micah B

Micah B Member

Jun 25, 2013
  7. CrazyToothGames

CrazyToothGames Active Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Developer
    Reno, NV
    I too am new to promoting an iOS game. Is it crazy to simply Tweet "at" a potential reviewer? I feel like that's rude.

We just released URP! for iOS and have gotten incredibly good responses from players and from people on this forum - but of course we need major exposure to get things really going.

Any other advice regarding Twitter and contacting reviewers in general? We sent out individual pitch emails to over 80 sites... haven't heard back but it's only been a week.

Check out URP! www.crazytoothstudio.com/games

8. Yeah, just treat them as people, just like twitter in general. If you want a favor, make it worth their while if you're out of the blue. If you are friendly, be legitimately friendly because you want to be. You'll get out what you put in.