Universal 100 Rogues (By Fusion Reactions)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, May 4, 2010.

1. Azuvidexus

Azuvidexus Well-Known Member

Tried to play after patching a couple of hours ago, this time I lasted longer on the level (before crashing), but at the end I still did...

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    This update seems to have made the game worse yet. Trying to go to the shop at the first boss stage is a complete mess. After tapping an item the screen is just a few black and white boxes. It's getting to be quite ridiculous, the bugs in this game. Oh, and when I tried to continue a game I had going before the update, the game just crashed. I had to start over. Then I got to that item shop.

Plus, and I know this just means I'm lousy at it, but I don't understand why they'd make the game harder and not easier (in Easy mode). I have yet to make it out of the Dungeon level. The game seems impossible. I guess I just don't understand how to play it, and I suppose I never will. In any case I've had a lot more fun with the less entirely rogue-like, Sword of Fargoal. I'm sure I'm in the minority, though.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    So what you are saying is the achievement for killing 9 enemies with the spell is now practically impossible?

I don't know how things that once worked fine are now broken, shouldn't these updates go through a testing period and a review process? How does an update with some many problems that everyone is encountering get through the review process?

4. WesPaugh

WesPaugh Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    The Software Developer, 100 Rogues
    Rochester, NY
    #2504 WesPaugh, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    I take it as a compliment that you so greatly overestimate our process. As sole software designer, developer and tester for a game with a fairly large number of features and a growing list of devices to support, I do what I can to fulfill backlogged promises and valid concerns and criticisms from players, and continue working almost round-the-clock to provide the most steady stream of improvements possible. Writing and maintaining sophisticated, automated test cases falls to the wayside as deadlines loom, although I run some tests of basic functions like loading a game with each class, level, monster and item possible to see if anything starts smoking, and these tests are improving all the time.

I have tested this problem with the shop. It worked on our test builds on all devices (I personally test iPhone 3G, iPad and iPhone 4) throughout the week leading up to ship and did not encounter any problems, apart from a glitch which stretched the tooltip far beyond the right border of the screen (I believe this is what people are seeing, but haven't gotten conclusive reports). It did not occur each time an item was touched, or each time the shop / locker was used, and selecting a different item would correct the problem, so 2.5 was shipped with this bug enclosed, being that the improvements to the rest of the game far outweighed its impact.

The shop tooltips also work on my iPhone 4, downloaded straight from the App store today. I have yet to see it, but when I find, fix and ship it, I will post here and on our forums. it will be a good half-day's work, at least, and that opportunity may not present itself for another few days, but I will make sure it does before 2.6 ships out. If you could provide more information or a screenshot, I would appreciate it.

I would say that it was equally impossible, if not more, before. I believe the rule for the achievement was coded as, "If each crystal that dropped his a target, fully unlock the achievement". I haven't tested it since achievements were first built because I have had other problems of higher priority but, if it is not working as such, it will be addressed as soon as I can. I can guarantee that for 2.6

@Coldcoffee ScoundrelTeleport works fine now. She was missing a materialize animation, but that was included in 2.5.

5. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Ahh i encountered the locker bug~ but i feel too lazy to post a screenshot~ You disregard them anyway :/

6. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Huh? No, a screenshot would be super helpful right now. It's probably going to take me an hour or two just to reproduce the thing (I've already tried in two or three games), and there is possibly more than one problem.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks for the response. Im not saying that things shouldn't get screwed up from time to time but it seems like new updates bring new problems. :(

I guess I'll put it aside until a new update comes out. Any idea when the new character may be added?

8. Coldcoffee

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Here...

Attached Files:

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I seem to recall that my screen looked a lot worse at the item shop then coldcoffee's screenshot. Unfortunately I moved on from there (without buying anything, of course - it was impossible), so I can't post a screenshot. I should have taken one. Of course I died again in the Dungeon level, because I suck, so I'll have an opportunity to go back to the 1st item shop and see if it happens again. :) I'll post a screenshot if it does.

10. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Ok, cool, thank you coldcoffee. That is what I had been seeing before launch with a tooltip just going crazy for no apparent reason (the brown, rounded border gives it away). There may be a different problem in the shop, or it could be just the same problem screwing up differently sized tooltips in a different way.

In any case, that has definitely helped me in confirming and understanding the situation.

Edit: Also, thank you for that screen name. Coffee finished an hour ago and I'd forgotten about it.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #2511 crunc, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    Ok, here it is, except it looks at lot worse then this in action because the screen is flashing crazy while doing this:

[​IMG]

Note that this time it didn't do it immediately, rather only after I touched a 3rd item in the shop. From then on, even after leaving the shop and going back, it happened every time I touched an item in the shop, though slightly different each time. For example sometimes the flashing part was a little bit of text that appeared just below the rectangle. Unfortunately I couldn't capture that as it flashes quite rapidly.

Also it might be worth noting that I am running iOS 4.1, not 4.2.1

EDIT: as you can imagine, it's rather hard to buy anything in the shop when it's doing this. :)

12. Coldcoffee

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Your Welcome~

13. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Definitely. That's a lot worse than I'd expected or imagined, and looks like a combination of a couple different problems, only one of which is the tooltip with item info being offscreen. Thanks!

14. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Got it to level 11 (hardcore) and got gang raped by a bunch of bruiser type dudes. Damn this game is hard.

15. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    2.6 has been submitted to Apple!

New Features
    Rogue Mode: A difficulty setting truly worthy of the label "Roguelike"
    Skellyman In-App Purchase can be restored after installing 100 Rogues to a new device via "Restore" button

New Content:
    Teleport Tiles: Find these swirling portals throughout the dungeons, which will teleport you or your foe to random locations

Balance Changes:
    Teleport range shortened slightly

Performance Improvements
    Framerate no longer drops when viewing the minimap

Bug Fixes
    Item Shop / Locker Tooltips no longer draw incorrectly, sometimes blanking other parts of the inventory and causing map info labels to flash
    Vampire Bats no longer begin to stack their health leech ability after saving and loading
    Crash fixed when summoning a dead monster in Hell using a quadbone
    Magic Crystals Badge updated to match the recent change to AoE shape

16. casualty

casualty Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Awesome! :D

17. keithburgun

keithburgun Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Game Design, Author
    Westchester, NY
    Seriously, guys - Rogue Mode is *so* much fun. Any of you who have been playing the game more than a few months are probably going to ONLY play on Rogue Mode, because the % of game-time that you are forced to make difficult decisions is so much higher.

For a while, I've thought that the game played a bit slow, but this is not the case on Rogue Mode where just about every turn matters. Hooorayyyy!

18. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Have been enjoying the game thoroughly, but even after beating the Satan on Normal, I still can't figure something out. Namely - how do I use ranged weapons? I tried to equip the bow and even when I have arrows in inventory, no targets are highlighted. Ditto fairy's wand - it is supposed to be ranged too, right? The only ranged weapons I was able to use were rocks and throwing daggers...

19. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Once equipped (and assuming you have arrows for the bow), you simply tap on the enemies, just like you do with melee weapons. The enemies don't become highlighted.

20. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    2.6 is out! Go die in rogue mode! A lot!