Advice on if I should buy Agricola?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by -Kiki-, Jul 25, 2015.

1. -Kiki-

-Kiki- Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Hello!

I just bought all three of the Sorcery! titles, and now I have $9.48 left. I am stuck between buying Agricola or just some IAP for Junk Jack X.

I've wanted Agricola for a while, but I have a two concerns.

1.) I only have an iPod Touch 5th Generation, will the game still look nice on this device? It seems like it is much more of a tablet game and I'm worried it won't display nicely on my iPod. I've heard some people say that the words can be hard to see on the smaller screen.

2.) How difficult is the game? I've read a couple different things and I am getting mixed answers. Everybody agrees that it is complex game, but some people insist it's better to learn the game from the physical version around friends. I have never played this game before. I know there is a family mode, which is supposed to be easier, but is it too hard to learn on my own with just the app? I've heard the tutorial is good, but others say it's not enough. It just confuses me. I don't want to buy the game and just be completely confused and never play it.

I would appreciate any and all answers! Thank you to everybody who helps out! :)

2. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Hello Kiki. I can't answer your first concern, but as far as Agricola being a difficult / confusing experience, I never found the game difficult to understand personally although I played Le Harve beforehand which feels a bit similar (same designer) so my experience learning the game may have been easier.

If Junk Jack X is a game that you really enjoy then I would recommend buying the IAP for that instead of Agricola since you know that's a sure thing. Agricola sometimes just doesn't connect with some people although others find it to be their favorite boardgame. I would recommend buying Agricola when you have the money to burn and don't mind taking a chance.

3. -Kiki-

-Kiki- Member

Jul 25, 2015
    That's what I've been thinking too, to just buy it when I have more money to burn. I'm going to wait though, see if I get any other responses and see what they say! At the moment I am leaning more towards the IAP though, because I can't find out how the game looks on smaller devices. Thank you very much for your reply! I suppose if the game is too confusing I could always just Google whatever is causing trouble. It's so popular/well known I'm sure somebody would have an answer!

4. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Agricola the board game? I played it on an IpT5, and it wasn't half bad. However, I'm biased in where I've played the physical board game before, so I already know the rules, won't have to go through the tutorial, nor spend too much time reading through the rulebook. Also helpful to have familiarity with the stuff, even though it takes a bit of adjustment from the actual bg, and how to do things given this interface.

If you have any rules questions, feel free to post here, pm me, or go onto the rules section for that game on www.BoardGameGeek.com

That said, I did fire up the game upon reading this thread, and will say you should expect to do a bit of scrolling/panning, and for text to be small (you can still read it due to Retina displays high density of pixels).