HALO... NOVA review!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by helmania, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helmania

helmania Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I am a strict believer that if you are going to blatantly COPY someone's idea, COPY it right or dont touch it at all.

If when bungie was making the original HALO, they used terrible voice overs, soul-less, mindless Enemies with no character or personality, if they used a story that was written by a 5th grader, and strap all of that to garbage controls, than we would have had NOVA about 8+ years ago and the Xbox would have been a failure.

One must agree that a quality game takes a little time in the oven to cook. So when gameloft announces a game two months ago and it's already out, one must wonder how much time was spend on quality control. As expected, the success of NOVA is leveled by it's cloning of Microsoft's API more than what NOVA offers new to the table which is... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Graphics: The game looks great, they have captured the Halo level design from hallway to hallway. 9.0

Sound: The machine guns in all of gameloft games sound the same. Yes I understand recycling is a way to save money, but for what is supposed to be a flagship title, I expected to hear more than the "clink, clak, boom, boom" I've already heard from Brother's in Arms, Avatar and Terminator. 6.0

Gameplay: Well if you find going from corridor to corricor, shooting highly BORING enemies and having CORTANA tell blabber in your ears every minute, then you are in luck, as you are a person who is easily impressed. The problem with NOVA is the story never hook or engage the player. The confrontations with the enemies aren't entertaining to take attention away from the horrendous plot not to mention the many glitches that should have not been in the final cut. My compass had disappear once, I had to restart the entire level to get it back. I FELL out of the map once and was floating in space. Multiplayer matchers have no specific goals and can go on forever. Shotgun is useless in MP. However my biggest grief with this HALO to the (1/8th) power, is gameloft DELIBERATELY not providing a TILT control option.

Tilt control is the best way to play these type of games as you are able to aim AND fire at will. However the current control options FORCE you to first FIND the enemy and THEN shoot. You think they would notice how well it works in CoD Zombies and implement it the same way. Nope, too much to ask for. 3

Conclusion:
    Nova, comes off as an exercise, a beta, meant to test the waters and clear the way for a REAL later game in the making. It's also meant to cash in on the HALO fanboys, which on that note, NOVA succeeds!

Final Score: 6.3 (Average)

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Prepare for flaming

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd probably agree with a good portion of that review, but... it's still in the wrong forum section.

4. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Your logic has some holes. I'm not a Halo fanboy, and have only played the game twice on my friend's XBOX over the course of five years. NOVA hooked me from the start, but not because of the story - it was the amazing pushing-the-envelope graphics, fully functional online multiplayer, and the feeling of satisfaction from mowing down enemies.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not flaming. I do agree with some parts of your review, I was just giving my opinion.

5. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Right on the money! But you have to be new to the forums, because what you describe is Gameloft's main MO. Most of their games are blatant copies of console games, that's why they have that soulless, processed feel. They are mainly meant to be token console game experiences geared toward cell phone platforms. That being said, some of them can be fun as long as you keep this in mind, and don't expect anything more from them. Take them as they are, and they can be fun little consolesque time-wasters, which is really the point.

6. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Is he ight about only being 2 months since it was announed, feels longer if yes.

7. drixz

drixz Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Maybe you should factor in the current price of that app as well, which is like only 1/10 of the Halo games when they came out... No?

8. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    ok here we go again,where's Hmar :D

9. UndeadZed

UndeadZed Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    i have to dissagree about the sound if you have played almost anygame or watch any tv with sound effects you will notice the exact same Arghhh and ahh over and over again, also all games have glitches and or bugs deal with it life (javaline glitch for example never should have made it through but hey people didn't say hey this game sucks just because) if you want to spray and pray for the game thats all well and good but yes in mos games as well you must first find the thing you are shooting then shoot it

10. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I thought the game was actually awesome - despite having many similarities to Halo. Some of it reminded me of Metroid Prime. I have to say I'm not that far into it so far, but its really fun to play. I like it much more than Modern Combat.

11. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Gameloft haters/ indie devs and their beta testers/ ngmoco fanboys and girls unite here!

12. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    there's one unique and new in NOVA
    that is to be able to customize the controls, you can relocate virtual buttons and i really like it, i putthe shoot button on the same lvel as where i drag the screen and i put the reload/switch button above it
    it really works for me :p

13. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
  14. helmania

helmania Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. My sincere intention is not to bash the game but to tell it like it is. Cause honestly those 5 STAR reviews in the app store are just driving me crazy.

Anyway, I'm gonna go watch Avatar now. Since I have already wasted $10 on the iphone game, I figured the movie can't be that boring.

See ya!

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I find that tilt control is the worst option for FPS on this platform. Tried it with CoD:Zombies for three minutes and gave up in frustration. The joystick/swipe method
    works as well as that of any FPS in any portable platform, and I, for one, have no problem running, aiming, and gunning.

Two things, Helmania: 1) you need to understand the difference between ranting and reviewing. 2) Starting threads repeatedly on the wrong section shows a lack of respect for this forum that is pretty galling. It also displays the same sort of carelessness that you accuse of Gameloft developers.

Finally, the notion that you have to be a Halo fanboy to enjoy Nova is both factually incorrect and pretty insulting.

16. UndeadZed

Sep 9, 2009
    this

17. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    What are you smoking? Avatar is the best action game for the iPhone to date! Your saying your not here to bash but you just keep on doing that! Btw and not here to flame you but your review is the worst review I have the displeasure of reading :)

18. UndeadZed

Sep 9, 2009
    am i about to say this but i agree with you this is very akward

19. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    I thought it was pretty accurate, myself. You have to remember, Gameloft does just make token console-type games a lot.. thats been pretty much their mission statement.

20. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Hahahaha! Weird indeed btw just between you and me I think minigore is awesome now!