Well heres a idea..make a premium version of freemium games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Yourplague, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Yourplague

Yourplague Well-Known Member

May 7, 2012
    #1 Yourplague, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    Why doesn't a developer take all the concepts of the classic games that are said to be ruined by freemium, and remake them as premium? Just the concepts and hell put a pretty spin on it too if it looks good.Im not exactly sure of how many downloads it takes to make it the top game section of the appstore but you can atleast count on the people on this forum that were outraged about a classic ruined to buy your game.

2. Yourplague

May 7, 2012
    #2 Yourplague, Feb 9, 2014
    Umm, can people edit the title of my threads? My original title was "Well heres a idea.."

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Meh. They make money out of the freemium version. Why pool resources in making a paid version if people would just prefer to get the free version instead? Most people unknowingly pay a lot more on IAPs that they think they would on a paid game... Which is why freemium works for most.

4. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Sometimes developers do make two versions. However, unless the premium version actually generates as much money overall as the freemium version, they aren't going to do that.

5. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Preimum version of Clash of Clans?

No timers? No epic grinding?

I don't get the idea.

6. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Because your not the market they're targeting. Why make a premium version when they can make some good money off idiots who WILL pay that $2 to make that timer go from 4 hours to one minute? Though I love that idea, it'd be so nice to have a game like that dungeon keeper game by EA which is utter crap, NOT have timers...

7. Yourplague

May 7, 2012
    I dont think yall know what i mean, im not saying all games should be remade into premium games, especially those of which that revolve around timers and such. What i was referring to before my title was changed was just games that were ported to ios and is originaly a premium game turned freemium or a into obvious cash grab.Usually these games get a huge uproar from fans of the original game saying how the dev ruined the game.Im not saying the dev that made the freemium/cash grab crap game should be the one to make the premium either, what i am saying is his mistake can be a opportunity for another developer to play hero and make a pretty penny while hes at it.This new devoloper could step in and remake this game the right way, the premium way.This dev can see the good/bad of both the crappy game and the original and use that to shape the new game.At the very least those of which who were in a uproar should be lined up for this new premium game.

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #8 Bool Zero, Feb 9, 2014
    I honestly believe there is room for it to exist. The people paying for the IAPare largely the people uninterested in buying a full game and those people would rather pay incrementally to enjoy a game rather than pay a lump sum up front, period. They are playing these games conditionally, upon the waning if their interest and as soon as their interest has peaked and dropped off they are on to the next freemium game. They are not looking to invest large amounts of money initially despite perhaps doing so over the course of playing the game because these gamers aren't looking for finite experiences... These games are distractions for them and they play them
    Angela for the enjoyment of "chasing the dragon" of the next upgrade; not to meet the end game.

People here will say that is illogical, but the very nature of freemium is illogical in its own right. It caters to a certain type of consumer whom places a different mindset on their expenditures. That person that is willing to spend $5-$10 on IAP on a freemium game is the same person that often will not entertain the notion of spending $2.99, $3.99, $4.99, etc, on a premium price game.

I think we here often think we speak for the AppStore majority when that is not the case. It it largely dictated by casual gamers who are not willing to buy a game outright but are willing to spend that very same amount or more on a freemium game. Hence why I think a system like this could actually work. The two wouldn't affect each other.

The only wavering factor I see here is that the premium price would have to be much higher than the expectant price of the typical mobile gamers, and closer to that of a retail games pricing ($39.99 - $59.99) in order for it to be worthwhile to the developer/publisher while maintaining the freemium model for the rest...

9. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Oh, I get it, but if a company makes the decision to convert a game originally conceived as premium into a freemium model, they're doing so with profit in mind and it wouldn't serve their interests to also release a premium version. If it did, they wouldn't have freemiumed it in the first place.

10. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Only a small minority actually are prepared to shell out for premium games.
    On this forum, the premium loving rate is pretty high, but most casual gamers will not, and often have never actually spent a cent on the AppStore.
    I usually despise consumable IAP, but in my eyes, there's nothing wrong in offering a lite and a fee to unlock the rest of the full game..