Games you went back to and got hooked on?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GeekyDad, Jun 24, 2012.

1. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I do this a lot, actually. I buy games because they're either on sale or free, but for whatever reason (usually busy with a virtual stack of other games), I put them on the shelf after trying them for only a few minutes. Then a drought hits (usually around this time of year), and I start sifting through my backlog.

This time Aralon came up. I remember nabbing it when it went on sale (late last year, I believe it was), tried it, thought it was a decent attempt at a mobile Elder Scrolls, but the camera was a bit annoying and there were a ton of other games I was fooling around with at the time. So, I erased it and moved on. Just went back to it recently, and dang, if it isn't more than merely a shadow of the Elder Scrolls series. Honestly, I'm not sure any RPG could come close to that amount of depth, but for an on-the-go equivalent, this game is pretty fantastic.

So, what are some games you've push aside only to come back to and get hooked on?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Chaos Rings. "Beat it" with one set of characters when it came out, then set it aside meaning to get back to it. A year and a half later, just as CR2 is about to come out, I decided to finish all 4+ playthroughs and I absolutely loved it. There is so much more to the game than I expected...

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Disc Drivin'. First got it a little over half a year ago, played it for a while, but got bored soon. Got it back like 1-2 months ago and have been playing it almost daily ever since.

4. neo_

neo_ Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Pew Pew. Read about it somewhere on the internet and downloaded it, played for a while and though I liked it ,just forgot about it. Couple weeks later was getting bored so tried it again. Hooked!:D

5. Hero Academy. I downloaded it, started it up, saw it was only two player, and quitted out. I didn't know the rules and didn't want to take the time to learn them while battling a real player.

Fast forward three weeks...

I was off work and decided to give it another try. I started a couple of games, began to understand the rules, started a few more games, and by the end of the day I had 25+ games going. From that point on, I've been hooked!

6. Dangerous & GoF2: two games I never delete from my device.

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #7 Coldar, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
    Just another solitaire game but maybe with a rather nice theme is what I had thought of Fairway Solitaire and then buried it. Awhile later opened it up while on lunch break and my jaded outlook changed after a few courses.
    Still going back to it to finish up some for the 3 stars.

Sworidgo is another I thought as just another platformer and never cracked it open till I had time to be curious. Now its become my main game as of a few days ago.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    If you never delete them, you're not really going back to them, are you ;). I wish I could have kept GOF2 on my device, but I purchased the Hd version and it is gigantic[/]. Since you can upload a save to the cloud, I deleted it figuring I'de come back to it later (this was before the Valkarie expansion came out for the HD version).

I just re-downloaded Pleolithic Wars, a paid CCG type game which I originally downloaded for free; it was one of those release for free, begin charging the next day sort of situations. I've never seen it advertised or talked about, but it's a remarkably fun game, a bit similar to Playdek's newest. It's played on a board divided into 2 zones; terrain affects abilities and can be changed with cards, etc. I've probably played it for 4 hours solo between last night and today.

I know there are a lot of CCG, TCG, MTG, Ascension fans etc. on these boards; I'm a bit surprised no one seems to be familiar with it. No publicity is part of it I'm sure, but that goes along with games made by a single person, which I believe this was. Still, the community here loves to support the lone, mad scientist types, just look at Mission: Europa.

9. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Ziggurat, Space Tripper and Epoch.

I play Ziggurat basically every day, but when I first got it, I wasn't digging it.

Space Tripper was too frustrating for me at first, but now it's my go-to game when I want a shooter but my fingers are too friction-ish with the screen to play a normal shooter.

I really liked Epoch at first, but then got bored with the tedium, and then re-discovered my love for it when I broke up sessions into smaller dosages rather than playing it all day.

10. I got to check out Ziggurat, curious to see what it is about since I never heard of it before.

You know for me, a lot of games made by popcap kind of are like this. This includes plants vs zombies, peggle, and chuzzle. All of these, I play for a while, then forget for a while, but keep going back. Now, after writing this, getting an urge to play plants vs zombies again.... See ya..

11. The Mad Mule

The Mad Mule Member

Jul 9, 2012
    To me, PvZ was a one-time play through kind of game. All the levels start off incredibly slow and just when they're ramped up, the level is close to ending.

12. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    The bards tale
    Before that it was space miner and tomb raider guardian of light

Next will be Ravenmark(only played some of it) and fft

Then probly GoF2 and lost winds/2 etc...lol

13. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    This guy just wrote a review here about it:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2333384#post2333384

Humorous trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwlTAJxOmx0

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Aralon for me, gave it a quick go and thought 'meh', just didnt 'click' with it. My friend played it a few months later, totally addicted, said i had to keep playing it, which i then did and LOVED it, brilliant couple of weeks playing that game.

Dangerous is one game i want to get hooked on, still hasnt clicked with me. Same for Mission Europa, remember hearing such great things but seemed a crazy mess when i played it, think its another i need to keep playing and try to get into it

15. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Squids, didn't get why it's good when I first got it. Managed to finish it and then Squids Wild West within a week.

Had Bard's Tale on my PS2, didn't play it but enjoyed the game tremendously on my iPhone.

I have several adventure games like the Hector series, can't seem to find enough time for them.

16. RunnyGnome

RunnyGnome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Dungeon Hunter 2. Man, that game never gets old.

17. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Ski Safari, I found it to be alright...nothing too great, especially compare to somthing like Jetpack Joyride, Zombie Carnaval or Blot, but after the update I downloaded it again, and I can't stop playing it.

The update just totally changed the game for the good to me, TOP 3 runner for sure.