Best iOS Gaming Device?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Exact-Psience, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The Apple Smart Cover is a piece of crap IMO... :)
    I can see why you wouldn't like a case like mine for tilting, although the case itself doesn't weigh much in itself, and I've been using mine that way...
    It does fold so you don't need the "stand" feature all the time.

Standing up in a bus I would never personally attempt to use my iPad under any circumstances, but sitting down a case like the one I use (Targus 360), it's way better than anything I've tried.

As I'm writing this, it's resting on my thigh while I'm lying on my couch, and I'm writing with both hands and my iPad is sitting secured, not a wiggle, it doesn't move at all. Can't be done with any other type of stand, case or sleeve.

And it can be used both horizontal and vertical due to the pivot feature.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've got an ipad 3 and an ipod touch 5th gen but i must admit i do 99% of my gaming on my ipod. I think a chunk is down to i'm so amazed at what this small device can do, fits in my pocket (an ipad mini wouldnt) and in the palm of my hand or backpocket i've got movies/music/books/comics/games, just love it

I've been playing games non stop on my ipod touch for ages (I have had a break ;) and i'm so used to it. Playing games on my ipad feels a bit odd !

I think my generation were so amazed at the Gameboy when that first came out, that great small device that after that i've been excited when something such as a Pocket PC (i had in the early 00's ) and now an ipod touch arrive and i can do so much with this small gadget.

From sitting in a cafe, to on the train or bored in a hotel room with work, having the ipod with me saves me, love that device.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I remember playing Lego Star Wars on a friend's Gameboy Advance when I was like 7 or 8...I don't remember much except wanting one really bad haha.

Just looked on Wikipedia and the thing apparently had a resolution of only 240x160....:eek:

4. Wow, I am almost the exact opposite. 99% ipad, 1% iphone for gaming. Though I do use my iphone alot for reading news, sports, and TA when I am on the road without ipad, on the john (can't wipe holding the ipad), or sometimes use my iphone when I'm laying on my bed, though never for gaming.

Gaming wise nowadays, probably play about 75% hdmi tv, 24% on my new ipad screen, and 1% on my iphone.

But there was a long time after my laptop got stolen that my iphone was it. My computer, gaming machine, music player, etc. and I still cherish it even though I rarely use it for games.

I actually use it more as a wireless joystick like the joypad app, or other propriety joystick apps. At least its useful for something! :p

5. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    The screen in the ipad 2 looks ok to me even when comparing it to the screen on my ipad 4. I mean, the lack of retina does show but its really not that bad and it runs every game thats been released so far butter smooth.

The ipad 4 feels heavier than the 2 so its a little more tiring to be holding it for long periods and while it is faster and has a beautiful screen it didnt blow my mind, its nice but not much nicer than an ipad 2. So all in all an ipad mini should be a-ok for gaming for a while.

Off the small devices I love the size and design of my ipod 4, its a shame it doesnt have a beefier processor beacause it does lag with loads of games.

And finally the 4s has the same excellent performance of the ipad 2 but even though I have lots of games in it I dont play with it as much as I do need my phone battery to last through the day for work reasons but when I get a new phone it will become a full gaming device and became the thing that my ipod 4 meant to be.

So EP, if you already have an ipad and an iphone you surely wont see any major differences barring the size and design so it really boils down to personal preference.

6. Peter@forgevault

Peter@forgevault Active Member

Jan 12, 2013
    The iPad mini has a decent sized screen for both graphics and comfort(for touch screen controls). It's light enough to manage with one hand, and small enough to fit in most coat pockets(which is a huge plus). I use my iPhone 5 for business and my iPad mini for everything else.

The new iPhone and iPod touch aren't bad either with the wider screens, the graphics are certainly much better than the mini but the controls can get cramped(depending on the game). Personally, I don't like putting games on my iPhone simply because its a very expensive device : I can most certainly see the allure of an iPod touch 5 as a gaming system however.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #27 Exact-Psience, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    Hey thanks for the input everyone... I just went back to the iStore earlier and I brought my ipad3 to compare, and sure the lack of Retina is noticeable, but test-playing a few games (Shadow Warrior, Shadowgun: Deadzone, TR2, Run N Gun, Fruit Ninja and Asphalt 7)and i didnt get bothered by the lack of retina at all.

Best of all, it felt very light, the different controls schemes on the tested games worked perfectly, and playable with both hands for a long time (ipad3 was too heavy for a 2-hour gaming session).

Videos were so much better on the ipad3 and internet browsing looked horrible on the mini though.

So, for my quest to get meself a better iOS gaming device, i went ahead and ordered an iPad mini, black. The black back looked awesome, but it somehow gets fingerprint smudges over it.But no biggie, i will rock the mini when my order comes to me in about a week.

Again thanks for all the input guys! Really appreciate the help!

8. Your observations are spot on here. Good luck with your new ipad mini, the lightness is so great, I wish my new ipad was that light.

9. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    My two cents:

I also have access to a 4S and an iPad3. Generally speaking, I prefer almost everything on an iPad3 except games that use tilt mechanics. Some games it doesn't matter though, like if there is a virtual controller and tilt, I could go either way, but if I'm using my index finger to play with and am having to tilt, I don't want to mess with an iPad. I'm trying to visualize what my grip would be like on a Mini, but I suspect I would wind up having the same issues with it as with an iPad just because of the balance of it more than the weight. It seems like the Mini would be good for games where you're gripping each side but I think those are fine on the iPad, so I don't really see much of an advantage.

Another things is the Mini's like an iPad2 and may not be running contemporary games for much longer. There are already games that aren't quite up to snuff on 4Ss and I don't think developers are going to keep supporting Minis in reference to their newness, but rather the hardware itself, and it'll be like the new-ish iTouch4 where people are freaking out that nothing is running on their new device.

10. landseer

landseer Member

May 28, 2012
    iOS game would never better than PSP
    without real joysticks and bottoms
    :mad:that is my opinion

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    If you hate touchscreen gaming then why are you on these forums, if I may ask?

12. I would rather have my new ipad than a PSP any day of the week. But wireless joysticks will be coming soon due to competition from Microsoft Surface and Google Tablets which will have them. The Gameloft Duo Gamer Joystick already exists, and it works exactly like an xbox controller. So the day will come, just the question is when. That will be the day the ipad is finally a full blown console.

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dont feed trolls.

14. Albatross

Albatross Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I guess all the iOS gaming devices are just as good.
    I like small devices such as the iPhone or iPod Touch because you can carry them around in your pocket where ever you go, but then again, large devices like the iPad have a larger screen - a pretty tough question to answer. Happy Posting :)

15. Arghaali

Arghaali Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Thanks for this info! This should make gaming on iPad much better.

I am still trying to figure out why people would play such complex games as Baldurs Gate on an iPad rather than desktop (or any other massive RPG title for that matter), because for me mobile gaming has always been about those toilet games like Cut the Rope or SuperRope or JetPack Joyride. But I have to admit it happens from time to time that I spend 2 hours playing something like Asphalt 7 and I'm like whoa what just happened here?

And yeah, the convenience of no load time and mobility is amazing. Aaand back to the topic now :) iPad Mini is really great to use and hold on to, but as pretty much everyone agrees the lack of retina display is a serious bummer.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Well... i just hope ipad mini 2 doesnt come out until after at least a year and a half so i could enjoy my ipad mini and get the best out of it before it gets obsolete. At the same time, i should have enough saved up to buy ipad mini 2 :D

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Probably coming this November, along with the iPhone 5s and iPad 5.

If you want to upgrade, sell the device a week or so before the event, you'll get within $50-$100 of its original cost. Then upgrading is pretty painless. That's what I do and it works brilliantly.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I'll keep that great advice in mind!

Anyways... I'm posting from the TA app on my new iPad mini! It came earlier today and I can't stop tinkering the settings and syncing stuff since I got home!

Browsing isn't as good but the games, even with the lack of retina res, looks beautiful. Sure the games run so much better and brighter on the ipad3, but the mini can hold its own and look pretty great!

One more thing I want to point out. Some titles experience slowdowns or sluggishness on my ipad3, but it's butter smooth on the mini.

I am enjoying every minute of my new ithing