Are there a lot of games that require 3g or later?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by twolves21, Mar 27, 2011.

1. twolves21

twolves21 New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    So i was planning on getting a itouch 2g 8gb, but i was browsing the store on my sister's itouch and i saw the Dead Rising Mobile game and it said that i'd need 3g or later to play that game. Playing games is really the only thing i plan on using the itouch for so im wondering are there a lot of games that need 3g or later? (listing some of them would be great) and also do you guys think that many of the bigger games (such as dead space or street fighter) will need it in the future?

2. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    If you want an idevice for gaming purposes, and you want the quality games, yes you need a 3rd gen (32GB and up- 8gb is the same as 2nd gen... i learned the hard way) or a fourth gen device. Also, for the best games, you should have a 32 gb device, since many are a couple hundred mb. All of gameloft's (a company that produces some of the best games on the device) new title require a newer device. Already, you will see that games with great graphics and "hardcore" gameplay require the new devices. If you are a casual gamer however, an older device will be okay for a while.
    BTW.... welcome to TouchArcade :)
    oh yeah.... its called the ipod touch :)

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Quite a few of the bigger titles do now and it seems the earlier models are being phased out although probably the vast majority of games still support them as a huge number of people own them. For gaming really I'd advise the lowest you want to go is an Ipod touch 3rd gen or iphone 3gs they have a far more capable gpu (graphics chip). Another option is now might be a good time to find a first gen ipad going cheap.

Of course when the 5th gens appear the third and fourth might start to go the same way.

If you do buy a third gen touch be wary that a lot of people own second gens and believe them to be third gens the basic rule is only 32gb and 64gb models were true third gens with the improved hardware.

4. twolves21

twolves21 New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    alright thanks guys, i think i'll look for a 3rd gen 32 gb in that case

5. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Why don't you get a 4th gen? They're the same price.

6. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    I would just get a fourth gen, unless all you want is casual games and puzzlers like angry birds, doodle jump, etc. You could just wait until late summer for the 5th gens to come out so you can get a 5th gen or a 4th gen on sale. But i wouldn't get the second gen since more and more games recently haven't been supporting older devices. A few games i know don't support second gen are...

Infinity Blade (awesome game btw)
    Pape Sangre
    upcoming Battle Bears games
    And pretty much every upcoming gameloft game.

7. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    It seems like devices have a 2 year cycle thus far with iOS. I'd grab a 4th gen iPod touch at a minimum as you should still get a good year in a half out of it if history continues to repeat itself.