iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Just picked this up because of the sale. I can see there's a huge game in here, but holy monkey do I ever hate the interface.

I don't really know where to start so I'll just pick one annoyance: is there any way to speed up the scrolling text?! Hitting ok before it finishes does absolutely nothing.

2. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    This is one of the best games I've played on iOS. I got it on release day and played until the very end. It's a pity there's no new game+, arena mode or multiplayer. I don't feel like reinstalling just to see how it looks in retina. Any chance they'll bring Final Fantasy Tactics A2 or whatever it's called to iOS?

3. XD indeed! And thanks, I'll purchase it soon.

4. LordAbsu

LordAbsu Active Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Menu > Options > 4. Message Speed > FAST

Also, try:

Menu > Options > 12. Touch-Activated Menu Items > ON

5. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Oh dear God, thisx1000

It makes the experience much better overall.

6. LordAbsu

LordAbsu Active Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Glad it worked out well for ya. ;)

7. MrOstrich

MrOstrich Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    How does this run on a 3GS? I know its a port of the psp version and that studders in battle....

8. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010

It runs ok, but not perfect. I’m having 0.5sec frame rate slowdowns almost every time when moving the camera, and every time when someone casts magic. So I’m getting fps hiccups quite often. Apart from that it runs smooth and looks good.

Non jailbroken 3GS on iOS 4.3.3 here btw, game is updated, version 1.1.0.

9. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    #709 Narziss, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    I'm sorry, I just bought this game, and I really need help with something that seems fairly basic: how do you change your class?

I beat the first level and after appearing on the map screen, I want to change some of my characters' classes, and I also want to dismiss some of them, since I bought more of them from the npc at the first town.

How do I change class? How do I dismiss characters?

Why can't I seem to figure it out?

Thanks for your help.....

10. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    To change class
    At world map
    Press menu>>party roster>>press menu>>job

To dismiss
    At world map
    Press menu>>select party roster>>press menu>>dismiss

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Have you tried turning off Enemy Colors (it makes your units shine blue and enemy units red

Once I turned it off it ran perfectly, I thought 1.1 would slow things down with retina but it still runs perfectly as well

12. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    omg...! and I read the tutorial like 20 times, I scoured the internet, and I was about to delete the app, when finally you saved me!!!

Thank you! I was going crazy... I bought the game like two weeks ago, and I haven't even been able to enjoy it because I couldn't figure out how to change my class!!

13. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Is this game in anyway similar to shining force 2. I usually don't really like tactical RPGs but that game was thr one exeption... I guess because it had the the story and feel of a regular Rpg.(or jrpg/turn based)

14. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    You're welcome :)
    I hope you enjoy this game as I did :D

15. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010

Thanks for the tip, but there is no difference at all, still lags a bit in the same moments – when starting to move camera and casting magic. There are also small lags when enemies choose their actions (attack, move etc.). I think it is the problem of the usual Square Enix lazy porting. The frame ratio seems to be a bit unstable too, and the game is a battery drainer, makes my 3GS quite warm – another proof of poor coding. I can understand that games with advanced 3D graphics (like Epic Citadel on Unreal engine, not a game actually, Real Racing 2, Galaxy on Fire 2) can drain battery, and I am aware that my 3GS is not a super quick machine by today's standards, but come on – FFT has a simple 3D environments with 2D bitmap characters :/ Anyway the game is playable but I'd like to see some performance updates in the future.

16. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

This is £3.50 on the PSN store for PSP (for Playstation Plus subscribers at least) until the end of today. I was holding out for the iPad version and also distracted by Disgaea but anyone think that PSP version is worth picking up for that price over this?

17. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    psp version has way too many slowdowns.... i found it unbearable to play...

having played the original PSX version and then the PSP version, i almost wanted to break my psp in 2... oh and if you run both version on a PSP (PSX and PSP versions), you will notice that the psx version runs smoother and way better than the PSP one...

haven't played it on iOS but people seem to be running it smoothly.... at this point, it's your pick

18. arnoldc

arnoldc Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I has mixed feeling on this. I prefer PSP keypad control on isomeric view game like FF Tactics but let down by slowdown and no further development. iPhone version runs pretty well on four generation devices and SquareEnix will continue to support it. I would say, for PSP, get Tactics Ogre. It is pricier but well worth it.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #719 Ayjona, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    Even if you always carry your PSP on your person (thus countering the argument that FFT is a very nice game to always have available, as it loads very quickly (on iOS), and thanks to the turn-based nature + in-between mission fidgeting with weapon loadouts and job optimization, is very well adapted to a few minutes of play whenever you happen to have the time), I'd still say that the touch controls + the (in my case, on an iPhone 4) complete eradication of slowdowns is well worth an additional 10 dollars.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is a game you'll probably be enjoying for 50+ hours (some report having sunk hundreds of hours into the game), and better controls (even if they are still, frankly, rather primitive and clumsy) and no lag are improvements that you will benefit from for a long time. Whereas lag and even clumsier console controller controls are problems that will either grow in their capacity to aggravate you, or at least never quite go away.

The improved graphics (War of the Lions was an improvement over the original, but the iOS version of War of the Lions has further graphic optimizations and touch-up) are another nice bonus, and with Square Enix's plans to remake and Retina-enable the unit models, the game might come to look even better on iOS in the future.

20. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Just an observation: I played the game for close to 200 hours on PSP (went through one save for around 50 hours, then hit a dead end where I hadn't levelled up enough and couldn't go back, so had to start all over again and did another 150 hours or so). I never once thought the game was running particularly slowly or controlled badly. Admittedly I only played the original PS1 version for a few hours up to the point I couldn't take the terrible translation any longer, but still, I simply didn't ever think 'Christ, this is painfully slow'.

That said, I still bought it on the iPod, just so I could have it again after I got rid of my PSP. :D There were only ever two games on that system I missed, and now there's just one. If you take your PSP around as much as your Apple device, sure, I'd say £3.50's a steal... but then firstly, I'm probably not the most impartial fan, and secondly I don't have a PSP any more. :p Still, just saying. The more FFT, the merrier.