The Gameloft Concession

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Nullroar, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    First off, this is NOT a thread to bash gameloft. If you have a problem with the company, please take it somewhere else. This is to talk about one thing only, and that is:

What do you think about the alternate offer of the "full" versions of Starfront: Collision and Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden?

Were you satisfied with the original in-app purchase of the full game? If not, *WHY*?

Personally, I was waiting for this from them. I didn't want a "free" paid game, but I have a hard time justifying my reasons. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

2. Liam2010

Liam2010 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2010
    The reason they released a full version is because quite a few people never or ( sometimes) have wireless internet so the cant install the IAP.

3. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I think it's great because people who are jailbroken can't install IAPs - and there are a lot of jailbroken iPhones, iPod touches and iPads.

4. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    #4 Nullroar, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    I'm less interested in their justification for doing it (their official statement was "player" feedback, which is a combination of the wireless internet folks + jailbroken folks + folks scared it will disappear from the app store like Glyder 2 or Sword & Poker and they won't be able to get the full content back from a folder on their comp) and more your feelings about the move.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    what is alot.. and how many of thoose jailbreaker only jb to warez apps?

i think the idea just did not work out.. offering a free version alot of people might have thought this is just the demo..

another thing could be ranking & visibility.. people don't really check the grossing toplist.. so thoose 2 games are stuck on the most frequented section.. the free one.. getting and keeping visibility there is difficult without the benefit of earning actual money. this has to come from a second step the IAP

another thing is secondary visibility via price reduction.. its always free.. if you change the iap price thats like 99% to be missed by most users out there.. so making sales will be difficult to communicate.

etc. etc.

there are tons of reasons.. whats more interesting is if they go free+iap for future releases, or stick to the more classic approach.

6. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Interesting observation.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #7 Vovin, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

No, more a fact that's known since IAP's were inducted.

8. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I think it's pretty clear that they won't. They tried it out and for the reasons mentioned it failed. They'll probably stay away from the Free + IAP model from now on.

9. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Another big reason they did it was to combat piracy right? I thought it was a novel approach and, as Mr. Ugly said, we will be able to see just how successful it was when they release their next game.

10. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    They said piracy had nothing to do with it (who knows whether that's true or not though). But the approach was apparently also great at fighting off regular purchases. I don't understand why you'd think they'll do it again in future games. By their own admission it was a failure and they'll go back to the classic system of lite and full versions.

11. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    You should read between pr lines. Read what they wrote before, what they wrote while and what they wrote after, its all pr babble.

And since gl releases lite versions of most of their titles adding an iap for unlocking the full version would be a logical choice.. Full and free+iap makes sense

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Uh. People who are jailbroken can indeed do IAP. And that's without having to jump through any hoops. I just did two last night.

13. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Yes, jailbreakers can buy the in-app-purchase. I think the point being made above is that IAP is harder to steal without paying.

I don't see the problem with locked purchases, except for the possibility of the publisher going away. The examples of Sword & Poker or Glyder 2 are great examples -- I stumbled across this thread wondering what happened to Glyder, because I was going to install it as a Pilotwings 3DS antidote. Guess I'll have to sync it from home instead of downloading it over wifi.