Newbie wants advice on racing/running games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kateharp, Oct 21, 2012.

1. kateharp

kateharp New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    I am new to gaming and to this forum and not very skilled. I really like temple run but it is way too hard and fast for me. Does anyone have a recommendation for another game like it, but is easier?
    Thanks!

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    TheEndApp is similar to Temple Run, but is slightly easier, more fun, looks better, and the controls are more responsive.

3. shawnbuddy

shawnbuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2012
    My favorite runner is Blood Roofs. A lot easier than Temple Run and it mixes combat and bosses into the mix. Don't give up early on, it seems a bit tough at first but when you save enough to get some wings things get a lot easier.

4. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    #4 Eoghann, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    I'm a sucker for endless runners, and these have been on my device since the first time I got them.

Subway Surfers (FREE)
    Very tight controls, and a variety of fun characters. My personal favorite. This is only swipe controlled. You run on three lanes. Not tilt based like temple run. Gets faster as you progress.

[​IMG]

Agent Dash ($0.99, used to be free) Three lane type gameplay, like Subway Surfers. Gets faster as you progress.
    [​IMG]

Pitfall ($0.99) Mainly swipe based. There are some tilting elements though. Does NOT increase speed as you progress. Hazards appear more often as you advance.
    [​IMG]

Beach Buggy Blitz (currently free, technically an endless driver) Drive as far as you can. You reach checkpoints to continue running. Pretty neat game.
    [​IMG]

Other options:

One Epic Knight (Free) Swipe based.
    [​IMG]

Endless runners are a very popular genre. The best part is that a large majority of them tend to be free. :) And this is just the "behind the back" endless runner category. Don't get me started on the sidescrolling subgenre. xD

5. {:L.S:}

{:L.S:} Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    #5 {:L.S:}, Oct 21, 2012
    Ahh, endless runners. My favourite genre of iPhone games. :)

Lane Splitter - £0.69 - My favourite endless runner/rider.

Jetpack Joyride - Free

Running Dead - £0.69

Ski Safari - £0.69

Probe the Humans - Free

Go Ninja - Free

Sketchman - Free

And not exactly runners but still, distanced-based games:

Berzerk Ball - £0.69

Mini Glider - Free

Doodle Jump - £0.69

Chicken Deep - Free - like a reversed Doodle Jump

Nuts! - £0.69

Flick Home Run - £0.69

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #6 Exact-Psience, Oct 21, 2012
    Did somebody say runners? :D

Most of the best Runners have been mentioned from the posters above already but they forgot a few of the most enjoyable games on the genre that are more forgiving as they either start out slower than most runners, or they dont get you to the game over screen in 10 seconds. Or probably because some of them are just a bit old, but theyre still awesome!

Zombie Tsunami (a very enjoyable runner game, and a little forgiving too)
    Zombie Parkour Runner (very easy to learn and finish, but tricky to get 3-stars)
    Infinite Warrior (very easy to learn, and a huge update is coming. Graphically awesome too)
    Gun Runner (a little on the easy side, but requires some grinding to get better at)
    Necrorun (still one of the best side-scrolling runners on the appstore, great music, great retro graphics, and starts out pretty forgiving)
    Steel Runner (similar to Gun Runner, and pretty easy on the running side, but heavy on the action side)
    Tiny Wings (still one of the best, and a kid can play it as well)
    Mirror's Edge (great game, and starts very forgiving)
    Captain America Sentinel of Liberty (very similar to Mirror's Edge, but has more Capt America action in it. Also very forgiving)
    Rayman Jungle Run (very easy to finish despite the speed, but tricky to 100% complete)

These are all side scrolling runner games, and are more forgiving than their behind-the-back-view counterparts, but they are very enjoyable, and I have bolded the titles that i highly recommend.

Some of them are free by the way. :)

Hope that helps.

7. kateharp

kateharp New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    What a great forum. You all made excellent suggestions. I find the apple store very unhelpful since they only show the top 100 best sellers (or perhaps I don' t know how to search on it correctly) . All these suggestions seem much better! Thanks so much!
    Kate

8. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Hadn't come across Beach Buggy Blitz before but got it as a result of this thread. Really enjoying it!

9. Here are the best runners on my new ipad. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

10. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    I've been playing endless runners since I got an iPhone. But I'm happy to find a few hidden gems from other user's replies. :)

A lot of the guys and gals have covered a lot of endless genre. But if you still want to explore more of the "endless" but not necessarily runner genre. Here's a few more:

Bumpy Road: An endless sidescroller, where you manipulate the earth to keep your cute couple from running into hazards.
    [​IMG]

Tony Wings: Gorgeous endless flyer.
    [​IMG]

Mighty Fin: Lots of fun, lots of costumes, controls like Tiny Wings
    [​IMG]

Prince Penny: Tilt based, endless chariot riding.
    [​IMG]

Zombie HIghway: How far can you drive?
    [​IMG]

11. Wow, that bumpy road looks like fun. Was getting ready to buy it, then noticed it was 2.99 and had some 99 cent sales, so will wait til xmas to see if it goes on sale then. Let us know in the price reduction forum if it goes on sale, cause I would like to try the game, it kind of reminds me of contre jour as a runner.

12. {:L.S:}

Jun 17, 2012
    Agreed. If you don't have Appshopper you should get that. All my 'wants' go in my wishlist and then I get notifications of price drops. :D

13. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    Definitely recommend Appshopper, it updates on price drops, price increases and such. Both Appshopper and the Toucharcade app are a must for the mobile gamer! :)

14. {:L.S:}

Jun 17, 2012
    I use both Appshopper and AppZapp Pro. App Zapp I use for new releases and Appshopper I use for game updates and price drops.