Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    suxxx... i bought the 3g package because its supposed to come with a free download of stardust... I still haven't gotten my code from Sony yet!!!

This has got to be the only thing I dislike about the Vita... it smells sweetly of Apple throughout - its GUI, ease of use and appearance, but it still stinks of SONY :(

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Features: When you open up the browser sony farts in your face?

Well the browser isn't that bad, but if they'd make it faster and add flash and html 5 support I'd use it ALOT (more).

3. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    You can play PSone Classics via remote play (not sure about minis though as I've not tried any yet).

4. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    We're screwed on the browser until Sony decides to pick up another option like minimo or even opera. They chose to use Netfront, which is a popular mobile solution in Japan, the devs hail from the land of the rising sun so go figure.

If they went with Opera, at least we know what could be accomplished by looking at the Wii version.

And no, it doesn't fart in your face, it burps.

5. Screen comparison between the Vita and (presumably) "new" iPad.

[​IMG]

I guess that OLED screen still holds up against the new iPad's screen. :)

6. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Not surprised. The Vita uses OLED technology, whereas the new iPad uses the same LCD technology as the iPad 2- they just increased the resolution. The reason the new iPad has more accurate colors and better color saturation is because it has more efficient backlight LEDs.

7. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Im sure the pink on the ipad has lines on?
    Looks better on Vita :D lol

And thanks Lucian for letting me get Kill on Unit 13 :) that hadnt unlocked for me yet :)

8. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Wow. I'm not much surprised either. I've read people's comparisons but that picture puts the iPad's display to shame.

OLED may very well be the display of the future. Very cool.

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #1109 Teknikal, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Really impressed with the OLED myself to see it at it's best you need to encode a HD movie to it's resolution of 960 x 544 using something like xvid4psp
    (I use the PS3 720p profile just change the resolution to the vitas).

Really stunning little screen especially colourwise.

10. Badtz

Badtz Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    #1110 Badtz, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Oh man... I just finished Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and it is my current fave of the series so far. I'm just about finished with U3, and I found this more enjoyable. I started both at the same time, and finished this one first.

It is a portable version of Uncharted, and is designed in that fashion. There are no HUGE set pieces and the game works in short burst. I found the treasure hunting much more fun here, than in any of the others. All the hidden items you find, help to expand the story. Considering Drake is a treasure hunter, this is the first game where finding items hidden in bushes actually seemed to have a purpose.

Others (on GameFaqs) have complained about the aiming and such, I never once used the auto aim function and I did better here than in the console versions. I do have small hands, so that may be the reason. I started the game again, and I'm currently trying to find all of the treasures. Overall, a really fun and enjoyable game. I would put it up against any game in the series any day of the week.

EDIT: Just noticed the PS Vita and new iPad screen comparison pic. That picture is terrible and so is the camera that was used to take it. I own both devices and while the Vita has an amazing OLED screen with great color production, it isn't as sharp or as crisp as the iPad's retina display. Naked eye tests are always best. :)

11. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I need to go back to that I've only played up to the bit where you have to find all the statues to get rubbings from, been playing everybodys golf too much and I made a huge tournament in Fifa with all the worlds best teams so I've been a little distracted.

12. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

Not going to lie Unit 13 had me pissed off last night lol I kept dying or getting seen and I had to keep re trying missions :mad: I dont know if it's because I was tired and getting ready to go to sleep or what but wow it's a difficult game if thats how it is all the way through!

13. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Remember a similar feeling playing one of the SOCOM games on PSP there was a defuse the bomb level where I just couldn't find the last bomb in time, drove me crazy I think it took me about 20 frustrating attempts until I eventually got it.
    I know Unit 13 didn't get brilliant reviews but I think I'll pick it up on Monday anyway as I can't wait as long as resistance for a shooter.

14. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011

I like it but good lord I got to a point last night where I tried several different missions and they all were hard! I am even at the beginning of the game pretty much and wow they had me pissed. I guess it's a good feeling when you finally do beat it though :cool:

15. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Ridge Racer is SO aggravating... ARGH!!!

The AI has changed considerably, gone are the days of 6 drones and only 1 real car that drives offensively. Now all the cars drive offensively, which wouldn't be so bad if the game's collision physics also applied to them.

I'm finding myself getting tapped during drifts causing me to oversteer and drop speed. When you try the same strategy agains other cars, it doesn't work, they are essentially unaffected by collisions. To top things off, the cars race in packs that will spread out 3 cars wide on a 2 lane road...

I know its just a matter of time before I find my groove, and the game becomes cake, but this learning curve is fierce!

45 minutes spent restarting the same track over and over again just to place first by the skin of my teeth and a lucky nitro...

:eek:

16. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
  17. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I tried to warn people about this. Unfortunately, I didn't see any reviews that actually harped on this point. I think it's a detail that people would like to know about up front. There's no getting around the fact that Unit 13 features an absolutely brutal difficulty level. Are there is nothing that can be done to adjust it. It's a trial and error game. You memorize mission layouts and enemy placements a chunk at a time until, after countless frustrating deaths, you finally beat the level. It's a cop out, really, for the lack of core content. If this game wasn't so absurdly hard, you'd probably beat all of the base single player missions in 2-3 hours, which is unacceptable in terms of the length of a $40 game. So they raised the difficulty level way up in order to double or triple the game's first run content. I think it's ridiculous. I could beat those levels, but why would I want to? There are plenty of other gaming options out there.

I beat one 5 minute stealth level and it took over an hour. Not only did I have to memorize everything, but everything had to go percisely to plan, or else instanteous fail. If something reacted a fraction differently then I had anticipated, the whole mission had to be redone. Must have taken 15-20 tries. If some level or section of any one game pisses me off enough, I will stop at nothing to beat that one segment. 1 hour, 2 hours, 3. I don't care how long it takes. But then I will lose interest in the game as a whole and stop playing it.

18. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Indeed I mean I am actually loving it after beating 2 of the missions on my lunch break!!! :D

19. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

So I just loosened the the screw behind the left shoulder button and it's much better now! the squeaking is gone and it just feels better! :)