Seeking investment

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by poisenden, Nov 4, 2012.

1. poisenden

poisenden Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Hello. I am looking for an investment in our app. The app is in the concept stage. The idea is a replicate iFunny but add new features and the ability to tell, view, and share funny jokes.

Please send an email to [email protected] so I can provide some insight into the app.

What we are looking for -
    Almost any amount of investment in exchange for a certain percentage of revenues

What we need it for -
    Covering the cost of developing the app
    Future updates
    Marketing

2. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
  3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i would try one of those sites.

Perhaps i'm paranoid but someone asking for money from a gmail.com address, makes me nervous !

4. poisenden

Jan 26, 2012
    Haha, trust me, we are legit.

Do you think Jokester! or iGiggle! is a better name?

5. poisenden

Jan 26, 2012
    Or if you have any other names for the app that you think is good,please tell me.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Still think if you want people to invest in yourself, you should have a decent website showing the games you've done etc. Just think you'll sell yourself better then ?

7. poisenden

Jan 26, 2012
    We are working on a website. The truth is, we don't have a lot of funds for that either.

We don't need a lot of money, just enough to cover development cost. Any additional money will be towards a marketing campaign.

Here is our updated description for investors -

Horrible Ways To Die is a fun app that let's people submit and vote on various Horrible Ways To Die. This app is similar to the notorious iFunny which we get inspiration from.

Each person who creates an account gets a "studio". In the studio they can either post a picture of a horrible way to die, or write a short description.

Users may vote on what they like/don't like and more popular Ways To Die will be featured while less popular Ways To Die will not be.

Users may "Flag" anything that is inappropriate, this will include any text or pictures that are offensive or discriminating. No pictures of blood or abuse will be shown. We want the pictures to be more cartoonish. Our team will review any flagged works and determine the right course of action at that time.

We plan for the app to be free with ads.

About Us: We have created and marketed apps into the Number 1 Spot Globally. Our hit game, Stick Run, hovers in the top 300 of several countries at any given time.

Note: There is an app on the store called Horrible Ways To Die but we own the app. We will take that app down (It doesn't really make any money) and use the available name for this application. We are working on the icon as I type this.

8. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    #8 Therealtrebitsch, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    Sorry, if I sound cruel, but first of all, that app description is nothing that would make my wallet open.

Secondly, your pitch is a very halfhearted one. Even if I were an investor, I would just assume, that you are some young boys, who try but don't really take it seriously. I assume, you are a bunch of 15-20 years old guys, who started a garage dev team with big dreams and plans and are motivated without any clue about the world. I have seen hundreds of such teams to fail due to school, girlfriend, holyday plans, or simply because the main guy had no interest anymore, because of the missing sudden success...

I pitched projects to real big publishers with extremely worked out design documents, almost finished demos and whatnot and couldn't get them interested. What you try here will never ever get you any money beyond a few hundred dollars.

Thirdly, as I already said, this is absolutelly not the place for looking for investors. Here are other developers, mostly as young and broke, like you, who have their own ideas and projects which they are heavily busy with to develop/market.

When you have a really good presentation about your project and you know where to look, maybe you will find.
    It won't happen here and not like this.

Good luck, young and naive padawan.

9. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    #9 Calvini, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    What Therealtrebitsch said was a bit cruel, but it does speak the truth. A lot of the projects that the developers here have made have basically been out of our own pockets and our own funding. Everyone has ideas, you can't make a judgement that someones ideas are better than another person until it's been tested and people can see something worth investing on.

As for your idea for the App "Horrible Ways To Die", I'm not sure a lot of people would be happy with that kind of genre. Death is a very touchy subject that would really turn off a large crowd (parents definitely won't let their kids use that and that's a huge market). However, if you are EXTREMELY positive that your App Idea will be very successful, get a loan and do this project at your own risk (like many of us have done). Trying to seek investors in a forum where people are in the same situation as you probably isn't the best idea, you're basically asking people to make a risk on your behalf.

I'm also kind of curious, but if your "Stick Run" app was really that successful, shouldn't you have enough funding for this project then?

10. poisenden

Jan 26, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

We didn't monetize correctly with the Stick Run game. We fixed it, and are making between $2-$5 a day

We will keep in mind all the advice that has been posted.

Thank you for your time!