WIP video for new 2.5D "Pseudo 3D" Racing Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by POLYGAMe, Jan 8, 2013.

1. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Here's a quick (and very early) WIP video from my current game project.

There are no hills and only one roadside object, plus I need to do the backgrounds etc and add in the forces and animation on the car, but it gives an idea of what the game will be.

Will finish it off, think up a name and release on iOS.

Suggestions and comments welcome!

2. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Here's a new vid showing progress. I have decided to go with a C64 "theme".

3. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    The first video is interesting. I love the second video, though. I art style is much more inviting and fun, and I definitely appreciate the background objects on the track!

I don't know if this is a valid concern, but I would suggest varying the background objects a little more. Maybe some differently-sized buildings? Not so many palm trees? Maybe some coconuts every once in a while? Maybe not all the objects in such a set pattern? Be a little more random?

Does any of that make sense? :)

Another suggestion: I really like the way the sun sets at the end of the race. But I think it would be a little cooler to make the sun gradually set throughout the race. I could understand if that would be impossible, because you would probably have to accommodate the change in lighting and reflect it on the objects (I think?), but I still thought I'd share that idea.

But great job on the game so far! It's looking mighty nice, and I'm surprised more people aren't paying attention to this thread, as the style of game seems to be in-line with many TouchArcaders' tastes. :)

4. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks for your comments :)

Yeah, it's VERY early on, there will be more variety in trackside objects, also, the 'sun setting' at the end is just the transition between areas, of which there will be 5-10 in a full race. Think Turbo Outrun. I could change it gradually but I want distinct seperate areas, in keeping with the retro theme :)

Oh, there will be background gfx and clouds etc too. As I said, early days :)

5. Jeffrey Chee

Jeffrey Chee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Programmer
    Singapore
    Nice feel of speed. Can feel the adrenaline rush.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Looks like it could be decent. How will this be different from say Final Freeway which to me is the best Out Run clone out there ?

I love retro graphics so i like the look but i cant see what will be different from the game above

7. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Similar deal to Final Freeway, though my game is made using similar techniques as the old consoles used to create the road, rather than a 3D spline system, so it's more "authentic", if you like. I love Final Freeway (I love 2.5D racers in general), just felt there was room for more games along the same lines ;)

8. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Ah, okay. Well thank you for your response. Definitely looking forward to the final product!

...I don't know if this is rude to ask, but do you have a target release window?

9. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    When it's ready. Lol. Probably a week or two away. All the hard stuff done, just adding cars, doing menus and finishing art assets now.

10. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    I can get behind that kind of release window! "When it's ready" :cool:

When you say probably a week or two, do you mean that's when we'll find out a release date? Or when the game will be finished? :eek: I thought it was still very early in development?

11. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Looking forward to this too.

Review times have been very fast since Xmas (about 5-6 days)

12. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Should be ready for release in a week or two. Sorry for the delayed response... have been away at a wedding.

Yes, early in development, but I work pretty quickly and something like this only takes a few weeks to do, less if full-time... followed by lots of testing. lol.

I'm trying to stick to simpler, retro-styled, smaller games, rather than spend too much time on one epic project... though the game planned after this racer is a bit on a the epic side... still retro, though, a point and click adventure :)

13. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Sorry guys, work has stopped briefly on this as I am in the running for a game designer job, so I have been working on design docs etc, in the hope I land the job. If I AM successful with my application, I will no longer be able to produce paid games as it will be considered competition, so I will still release this game, will just be free... win win for all of us. If I am unsuccessful, it will be a 99c app ;-) Anyway, will get back to the game this week.

14. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Another update: Am now thinking of putting this game inside my adventure game as (not-so) hidden content, so the main character will be able to play it on his TV, like what was done in Project Gotham with Geometry Wars :) In other words, I didn't get the job, so it will be available at some point relatively soon...