We need more active moderators here

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by ronit, Jul 17, 2016.

1. ronit

ronit Well-Known Member

May 12, 2011
    Blogger
    US
    Hi,

The forum is a mess right now. Spammers are spamming the forum and mods are not active enough to remove such posts. I know TA is going through a difficult phase but there are plenty of good active members here who can help you clean up the forum. Please add few more moderators who are eligible as per their posts. That would be great. Thanks.

Here's one example:
    [​IMG]

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #2 Nullzone, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    It's weekend, mods and spamkillers have other things to do as well. How about you volunteer?
    Mass-spam like in your example luckily is rare enough, I see them only a few times per week at most. Singlepost spam is much more frequent.
    (btw: I just deleted that guy, ~2 minutes after I came online after spending the day outside and offline. Not too shabby for reaction times, no?)

3. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Spam actually gets cleaned up pretty fast around here. I know that I check for spam multiple times a day and most times find none. I usually find it late in the night when I should be sleeping.

4. ronit

ronit Well-Known Member

May 12, 2011
    Blogger
    US
    #4 ronit, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    I'm always available to volunteer to my favorite forum. I thought only old members are preferred for such roles here? Let me know. Sorry if you felt bad, that was not my intentions though. Enjoy your weekend!

May be I'm always unlucky as whenever I check the forum, I see spam posts. I know it's hard to keep track of all forum sections and I really admire the work you guys do. If you guys think you need more mods here, I'm sure you will find some useful members that can help when you're sleeping. Happy weekend. :)

5. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    I am here every day.Mods can add me...Thanks

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Spam threads are easy to deal with. What we need help with are spam posts within existing threads.

Nullzone is right, though. For many of us, weekends are family time, and we tend to spend less time around here.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    No worries, you just caught me on the wrong foot, quote voice in my head: "Hey, I just went in and deleted all that crap right after turning my Wifi on. And he's complaining about WHAT?" :p

No clue if Eli is still checking that "spam police recruitment" thread, but if you want to join in, drop a post there anyways.
    @squarezero: any idea what currently is the best way to volunteer for spam police?

8. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I try to catch as much as I can but life is a thing as well as sleep. Alot of spam attacks happen on the wee hours of the morn in me timezone, 0100/0230. As always, report and ignore if you do see something. Thank you.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #10 metalcasket, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Funny thing is, every time someone says "We need more mods", the moderators are quick to shrug it off and say something like "We have enough mods, what's the point?". It was like that before I was a mod and even myself, today, will still go "We really don't". The truth is...we really don't need new moderators.

A couple of years back, we (the moderators) had to juggle spam as well as a TON of forum issues/drama/whatever you want to call it. You could certainly argue that we could have used a bit of extra support. However, the current TouchArcade? Thankfully, apart from the odd case here and there, it all comes down to spam. In that regard, I won't argue...we can never have enough Spam Police. Guys like Nullzone, coolpepper, saansilt, BazookaTime? Those are the guys that make sure this place is spotless and I can't commend them enough for the job they do when the moderators aren't around...

...which brings me to why we aren't around. :p Unfortunately, as already covered, we have real lives. Some of us were moderators before we had jobs, some of us have been floored with studies and family situations that we simply cannot put moderating before. It's not a secret, what we do here (both the mods and Spam Police) is purely from our hearts. We don't get paid to do what we do (so "difficult phases" in the TouchArcade timeline aren't issues), but we do what we do because we ****ing love this site and want to make sure it's the best place it can be...not for ourselves and/or the admins...but for all of YOU reading this right now.

If you guys wanna apply as Spam Police, by all means go ahead. I don't know if Eli or Jared are still looking for more, but there's no harm in keeping a door open, right? As for new moderators? If we are to expand... Nullzone. That is all.

Yes, that's a recommendation.

10. ronit

ronit Well-Known Member

May 12, 2011
    Blogger
    US
    Alright boss!