Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    First in-first out sounds like the most reasonable solution. There would be no possibility to switch them, but I would prefer keeping the controls simple over adding functionality.

If there's one thing we learned is that players just want to keep it simple and press start/play/retry without too much regard with what's on the screen. Actually, a large part of the players does not know you can use stored power-ups with a tap. They just play and use whatever drops on them. Stored power-ups are only used to cancel the bullet that would otherwise kill them... which happens automatically :)

I'm not sure what storing mechanic you are referring to from Shogun HD, you mean the capsules? I only played the first mission in that game and wasn't particularly drawn to try more. Also, the regional score screen seemed broken, which put me off a bit as well.

2. Future Tomorrow

Future Tomorrow New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks for your responses Selachii.

On www.firigames.com/phoenix it does not mention in the FAQS, Overview or anywhere else that a a stored power-up is released with a tap so while I agree 100% players probably love simplicity they also don't have prior knowledge. I would have personally added a "Tips" or "did you know" section and highlight things there that might not be so obvious to the user if there is no instructions. Checking the analytics and time spent on the page regularly could determine if it was a mistake to add it or users aren't interested/don't need it :)

I believe the thinking was and is very very correct that the game should be simple enough to not need instructions unless it's cleverly done like Angry Birds where they tell you once for each new bird how to use it.

My apologies here. It's not a storing mechanic but how you access different weapons. You lift your finger off the device and the Shogun slows down and you see a display of different weapons, EMP's and the ability to add drones. I agree with you. Not sure what happened with that game but after playing a few times it doesn't hold the same interest as PHD.

Thanks and have a great weekend :)

3. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    It's my pleasure.

Shogun HD's weapon selection works rather well indeed. The mechanic is similar to the Trinity teleport+time slowdown. Kudos to the devs for finding an elegant solution for their controls as well! I appreciate those kinds of mechanics much more than Cave's blunt on-screen buttons for their copy-paste arcade games.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Danmaku Unlimited 2 just inspired me to come here and bug you guys for a sequel. I'm still enjoying Phoenix HD but I'd love to see what kind of amazing ideas you'd come up with if you were starting a new game from scratch. Personally, I'm still waiting for an iOS game with a Shoot The Bullet-inspired boss mode, but I'm not sure it really fits the whole Phoenix style, having set levels and all.

If you wanna take a leaf out of the Touhou book though, name the powerful boss attacks and have it flash on screen just before they use them. I always thought that was cool :)

5. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Wow this ysp buy must be the new type of bot running around here. I was about to reply until I noticed his double post and investigated a bit. Apparently he's just quoting the first post of this thread over and over. Weird Stuff!

That said, @MidianGTX, we are not working on a sequel of Phoenix HD at the moment. We are working on a completely new game (different genre) as well as on more Phoenix HD content. We feel Phoenix HD is a platform we can do more with and the ships have evolved over time to be more radical. I mean, the Mirage and Corsair were intended to be different, but still on par with the original Phoenix ship. The Shogun and Trinity were so different we had to split the Leaderboards and now that we've done that we can explore even more possibilities. We are going to find out how far we can take it, so all suggestions are welcome :)

6. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    thought this was Phoenix Wright HD.....

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Guess the 'bullet hell shooter' in the title didn't stick out enough, huh...

8. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Hey guys, cool fact: we just passed 1 million players on the Phoenix leaderboard! That's the ship Phoenix! So that's 1 mil on the same leaderboard, woohoo! This means we finally have someone with a Diamond medal, as it is awarded to every top player per 1million competitors.

Thank you guys for competing and being part of this giant community :)

What's your spot? I am #345 with 10.344.345, pretty good no?

oh, and I almost forgot. We've doubled the amount of coins in the small and medium coin packs, enjoy.

9. userfume

userfume Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Are you planning on releasing an Android version:/?

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #810 Exact-Psience, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    Holy crap i tried this game and i love it!

Damn you DU2!!! I was never interested in bullet hell til you came!!!

Now im lovin Phoenix HD too. Sigh...

My problem is i only have 2 Cave shmups. Oh god this will be expensive. Does anyone know if Cave gonna have a sale soon? :p

EDIT: Oops this shouldve been asked on a Cave thread. :D

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I think they usually do around xmas. =oP

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh... since I got Phoenix HD for free, what's the recommended IAP ship? Does each ship play differently (im guessing they do coz of the different descriptions... I hope theyre not just flavor text)?

Im thinking of buying one ship... if i like it, i'll prolly just buy the rest.

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes, they all play differently.

Phoenix - the original one, is the most balanced.

Corsair - missile ship with lock on ability. The more turrets you lock-on to, the weaker the shots are... but it's an AWESOME ship.

Mirage - laser ship - if you don't move your ship, it'll blast out a super laser which has 3 strengths. depending on how long you stay still for, the laser just gets stronger. =o)

Shogun - grazing ship. pretty much, you only attack when you graze bullets. You also have a weak electric ability that activates when you're up close to ships so that you can take down ships after you take out their turrets.

Trinity - this ship teleports... kinda like in Absolute Instant... but when you let go of the screen, it also slows down time.

Each ship is like an entirely different gameplay mode. I love all of them, and think that, especially at a buck each, they're all worth snaggin. But based on the type of gameplay you like, check out that ship first. =o)

14. Corsair or trinity. Get these two for sure.

15. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    They do play very differently. If you want a challenge buy the Shogun. She has no autofire and only shoots if you fly close to enemy bullets. Very hard but rewarding to play.

If you want something more straight forward go for the Mirage. Stop moving for two seconds and she unleashes an awesome laser.

16. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Lol talk about men not following directions. I didn't even know the trinity could teleport, and I've played it 100 times at least. I just read on the thread that it can do that, and then I see the description when you choose it. D'oh!!:p

17. Yup, it maybe the funnest cause of the teleport.

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Oh yeah, and Psience - if you're having a hard time with the hit-box (the cockpit), you can select to have it outlined with a red circle in the Options Menu.

Also - with power-ups - you automatically hold the first one you grab until you tap with two fingers on the screen to use it - then you'll bank the next one you pick up... usually, I try my best to have a full green orb (total health restore) in my bank... and once you are about to die, the pick-up is automatically used... so having a full health restore is like having an extra life... just... so ya know... =oP

19. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Really... I mean, really? :eek: You have been missing out on the single most advantageous aspect of the ship AND the entire game. Well, now that you know about it, expect your score to double.

All of them. Honestly, I couldn't recommend better IAP's for any app in the store than the four other ships in this game. My personal favorite is a toss up between the Corsair and the Trinity, although I feel the Trinity is the best in the game. This is followed CLOSELY by the Mirage, then the Phoenix. I put the Shogun in last place simply because it is, in my opinion, the most different than the rest, but many would argue that this is the best ship in the game as well.

Psience, welcome to your new cocaine.

Yeah, store the extra health orb any time you can and expend all the others as they come near you. If there are no enemies and you have an orb floating around, circle the screen until the enemies reappear and then fire off that floating orb.

20. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Oh, and is anyone getting a crash when they go to select on a location under the Leaderboards? It is crashing for me like clockwork, every time.