Twilight Golf Beta (shadows and physics puzzles)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by slembcke, Sep 19, 2009.

1. #1 slembcke, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Our new physics puzzler game is nearly ready! If you are interested in helping us beta test, we have some contact information here. (Please don't reply to this thread asking to be a beta tester as that is against forum policies.)

Twilight Golf features our in house developed physics engine that has been used in many games including several top 100 hits. It also features dynamic shadowing in a way that has not yet been seen on the iPhone platform yet.

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See our latest blog entry for more screenshots.

We are in the process of making a new video showing off the new graphics and physics based sound system, but until then, enjoy one of our older preview videos:
    [hqyoutube]UiRwkqcod4c[/hqyoutube]

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I'm probably your biggest fan of Crayon Ball, I'll totally join.

3. AndyKorth

AndyKorth Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Game Developer
    Glad to see Crayon Ball fans out there :D I'd also like to mention that we've got a nice series of blog posts "behind the scenes" of Twilight Golf.

http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/?tag=behind-the-scenes

We've talk a bit about the level creation process, and how we use set up the graphics for our levels and the physics objects. The evolution of the gameplay is talked about- we've had the concept for over two years, so it's had a long time to ferment. Finally, we have an article about the sound system and how we worked to make it really add to the ambience of the game.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sent my email :) Really loving the shadow effects, if this game runs as smoothly as the preview shows then colour me impressed.

5. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I just read the blog and I like how this game is turning out and golf combined with physics is always enticing.

6. Even with the ambient music playing, I don't think the game drops below 45fps with most levels running at nearly 60fps with music disabled. I'm pretty excited that we were able to get the shadows rendering as efficiently as they are.

We are also toying with rendering higher quality shadows on the GL ES 2.0 devices. A friend of mine has one that I could test it on, and I bet I could get per-pixel shadows running at a full 60fps. I'll just have to come up with a reason to get him to let me play with his phone for a few hours some day. ;)

7. graveckdude

graveckdude Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Wow, that lighting is really nice. Very interested to see this run with the shadows so count me in.

What kinds of physics puzzles do you have? Did you have to keep the physics to a minimum to keep the performance up on the lighting?

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Just wondering, if we're not chosen to beta test will you still be replying to let us know? I don't wanna be waiting around for nothing if I can help it :)

9. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I just sent my email :)

I've been following the development of this game for a while so it will be interesting to see how well it plays, that is if I get in of course ;)

10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

does this NEED an iPhone 3GS or iPod touch 3G? :eek:

11. Kwakkie

Kwakkie Active Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Wow this is great news guys! The latest batch of screenshots look great!

Good luck!

12. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Sent email. Looks really good.

13. AndyKorth

Sep 16, 2008
    Game Developer
    First of all, we forgot to post the splash screen! Oops! I'll remind Scott to edit the first post to add this.

[​IMG]
    Much better now.

Glad to hear from you graveckdude! Scott made chipmunk physics (wikipedia article), so we're in a great position to optimize our game and the engine for the iPhone. We never made a level where physics interactions were a problem- even when we've got a lot of blocks falling or complicated constraints.

Our levels are a mix of platformer-esque action and a variety of physics puzzles. We use lever, gears, trap doors, sliding blocks, and a lot of stuff with springs. Even with a small number of constraints, you can make some really interesting stuff. There are some weighted elevator levels towards the end, and those use carefully calibrated spring joints set in slide joints, so the elevator only goes up and down.

The game will run on any iPhone or iPod touch. We do our testing mostly on the older iPods to ensure they run great on any device. Like Scott said, we are looking into some enhanced 3GS graphic support.

14. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    email sent ;)

I must agree with the lighting, looks fantastic.

15. spyker3292

spyker3292 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Crayon Ball rocks! Even my parents are addicted.b The game looks pretty good, I sent out my email.

16. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Email sent :) Put some info in there (more like a question)

17. AndyKorth

Sep 16, 2008
    Game Developer
    Okay, it looks like we've got a massive response. I'll be compiling all that information right now. If you didn't get in for the beta, keep your eyes open for our release, planned October 21st, if everything goes well!

18. Der-Kleine

can someone PLEASE tell me! :eek:

19. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Please read:

;)

20. Der-Kleine

great! Email Sent! :rolleyes: