Survival Horror from Gameloft???

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by barl, Dec 26, 2009.

1. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    Does anyone else think it would be a great idea for Gameloft to produce a survival-horror game, similar to Silent Hill/Resident Evil?

They could use the N.O.V.A. game engine for great graphics and controls.
    With Gameloft's high production values, they could blow the competition (Silent Hill: The Escape, Resident Evil 4 (Mobile Edition), and Fallen) out of the water.

More recently, Gameloft has been paying a lot more attention to customer's requests, so a thread on Toucharcade could be a good way to start.

What do you all reckon? :)

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Survival horror games live and die by their stories, and that has been Gameloft's consistent weak point. I'm not even sure if they can even carry the atmosphere, since most of their games have been so brightly colored and lit. SH:E was crap, and Fallen was too short to get a sense of the overall story, so I agree that we need more options. But I'd much rather have Activison (or an ambitious indie developer) tackle the genre. Right now I'm holding out hope for Forgotten Memories (even though I was pretty disappointed in Death Strike at least as it stands before the update).

3. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    You know, I have always been a fan of survival horror games. If any should be ported to the iPhone it should be the "Penumbra" Series. In my opinion they are really good looking, low spec games. They already have all three of them on Windows, OS X, and Linux, so it shouldn't be all to stressful to finally make a mobile version...

Check out "PEnumbra" if you've never played it. I like it much more than silent hill. (It's First person perspective and you can actually interact with switches, doors etc. Plus, you don't actually have any weapons, it's all about surviving and hiding! Quite creepy really)

-Angelus

4. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Gameloft wouldn't make a great survival horror. Most if not all of their games are way too easy, and one of the signatures of survival horrors is the difficulty. And the brightness and storyline issues are there too.

5. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    I agree with a lot of the things you said.
    We definitely need more decent survival-horror games on the AppStore.
    Narratives are Gameloft's weak point.
    Maybe an ambitious indie developer would do a great job, but inevitably,
    Gameloft has higher production values and more money.
    Activision may be a good developer too.
    Forgotten Memories looks graphically and audibly stunning, but we'll have to wait for the game itself.

6. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    #6 barl, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    A video of Forgotten Memories.
    Only a demo of one room, but the graphics and audio are great.
    Hope they change the large control button in the final build.

7. Fujibayashi

Fujibayashi Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Japanese / Korean translator.
    Mililani, O'ahu, Hawai'i
    does nobody remember that Gameloft and Capcom inked a deal (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=34228) to work on iPhone games?

I'm hoping they bring out a RESIDENT EVIL 1, just as it was on the PS1, not a remix, not a remake, not RE 3 or Zero, or a shooting game, or Code Name Veronica - just plain vanilla RE1. Am I alone in wanting to take that classic out on the road on my phone?

8. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    A couple of issues with that vid.

a) There is light emenating from her breasts

b) There is walking animation when she is not moving

9. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    horror games on iphone wont be good no matter how hard dev work.... the screen is simply too small for scary stuff..

this is just my opinion. lol.. i played like mystique, haunted mansion, dead strike, etc but non of them scared me like horror games on ps3 on 5x in. HDTV..

10. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I think it's possible. NDS had a good one. I cannot remember the name, but it took place in an old insane asuylum and was pretty good.

11. arikado

arikado Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Dementium.

12. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    To answer part a - she is wearing a light to reveal her surroundings -- that's why it looks like a light is emanating from her breasts.

13. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #13 Somerandomdude, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    Nah, definetly don't want an already existing Gameloft engine... None really fit what would make a good survival horror game. At most a Dead Space game using the Terminato engine. I want a new engine designed for a RE styled game.

Maybe Clock Tower?

As to the dude who suggested Dementium, I say one thing. YES! One of the creepiest games ever, and with updated graphics (which were good to start) and headphone surround sound, and you have the scariest iPhone game yet.

14. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    I guess, I just would love the game to have the great graphics like in N.O.V.A.
    Maybe a 3rd Person game would be better for survival-horror??

15. I say they should make a high quality Left 4 Dead 2 knockoff, much like Halo and Call of Duty. A lot of people enjoyed those, so a Left 4 Dead 2 knockoff would sell very well.

16. mynameisjesse

mynameisjesse Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Agreed. Plus, they wouldn't have to worry about having a crappy plot. L4D from Gameloft would be huge.

17. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I'd rather Gameloft fix the bugs in their existing apps - cough - Modern Combat multiplayer cough - before embarking on another game that could also turn out to be half-baked.

18. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #18 Somerandomdude, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    Yeah, that's the next big project they need to tackle. A real huge co-op game is in demand, and the multiplayer in NOVA was really seamless... I never had a lag issue after getting my 3g. I think that Gameloft would do all that they could to get it running smoothly on most devices, even playable on a 1g. If COD:Zombies can do it, so can Gameloft.

EDIT: I just remembered seeing a trailer for Dementium 2 a while back... Maybe the developers could put some people on a project to bring it to the iPhone as well? It'd be really awesome, I'd love it if they took that on.

19. Asphyxiation

Asphyxiation Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Why are you talking about her breasts?