Gaming Platforms

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by stevejarman, Jan 17, 2014.

?

On which platforms do you do your gaming?

1. I game exclusively on my iOS device(s).

20.0%
  2. I game exclusively on mobile devices (smartphones and consoles).

10.0%
  3. I play games on various platforms, without a preference.

70.0%
  4. I play games predominately on non-mobile platforms.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. stevejarman

stevejarman Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    #1 stevejarman, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    I'm curious about something and thought a poll/discussion might be interesting.

Given that TouchArcade is specifically a mobile gaming site, and even more specifically, an iOS gaming site, I was wondering how many active members here are also gaming on other platforms?

I guess what I'm trying to get to is whether or not there are mobile-only gamers out there, or gamers who predominately do their gaming on mobile devices, ignoring other non-mobile platforms.

Interested to hear people's feedback on their gaming habits, platform splits, etc.

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I have no preferences. While I have shifted to mainly IOS and PC, I still play games on console.
    I don't consider either one to be inferior compared to the others. IOS games can deliver experiences not possible on any other platform, nothing can beat the convenience and comfort of console gaming with a controller and a couch, and PC gaming offers the most diverse range of indies than the other platforms

3. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    I supposed I should have shared MY opinions too! :)

I play games on EVERY platform out there. To be honest, I probably play the least on my iPhone/iPad. I think the reason for that is that I feel a game needs to be VERY SPECIFICALLY written for touch controls in order to be a good experience on a smartphone type device. No matter how much people try to convince me, I don't believe there are any FPS's, platformers, etc on iOS that wouldn't play better with a controller (or on another platform).

I do really love mobile platforms though - as in, "portable gaming". I'd say I spend most of my time these days on my Vita and 3DS. I absolutely LOVE those two devices.

Maybe with the rise of controllers on iOS devices I might start to get more from non-touch-control-specific games on iOS.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wait when you say mobile platforms as "iOS and console" do you mean handheld consoles?

5. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep - as in Vita/3DS (or others).