Updating an App that was removed from sale

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MindJuice, Nov 12, 2009.

1. I'm hoping someone might know the answer to this.

If I remove an app from sale and then get an update approved for it, can I make the update available to current users without new users being able to download it?

It's a free app if that matters.

I guess I could increase the price from free to $999, but that is not something I would like to do.

2. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I don't think so. I think the only way to make the update available, is to make it available to everyone.

Why don't you want to make the updated app available to new users?

3. I am thinking of removing my lite version permanently, but I would like to have an update to let current lite version users know about the new features I am submitting for the full version today.

This is, of course, in hopes that some of them would upgrade.

4. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Keep the updated lite version for a couple weeks then remove it.

5. That is my fallback position, but I was hoping for a cleaner break I guess.

When I release the update I would prefer that players who are interested in Charmed just impulse purchase the full version rather than try the lite version and then maybe buy the full version. I will also be reducing the price permanently in conjunction with the update (shhhh!), so that adds to the likelihood of an impulse buy.

I am considering doing the following:

• Remove Lite version 2 days before the update for full version is released.
    • Release the full version update and wait 2-3 weeks
    • Release a new lite version with information on the new features in the full version (this version won't have the features of the new version though, just some bug fixes)
    • Wait 2-3 weeks and then remove the lite version permanently
    Any advice on this approach?

Thanks.

6. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    We are still seeing 100 upgrades a day and we released the upgrade a month ago (Free Version).

Well you seem to be at a conflict here. Apparently, you want to remove the Free version in hopes of increasing impulse buys. Yet you want to keep the Free version in hopes that some of those will convert to buyers.

You can't have it both ways- it seems that you don't believe that the Free version is bringing you sales. So why even bother with it anymore?

Here is what I would do: Release the app for free to everyone. Monitor the downloads for 1-2 weeks. This will tell you how many people are upgrading, but most importantly, how many people still have your game on their device. This will also show you how much interest you have in new downloads of the FREE version vs. Purchases (assuming you have the paid app to compare).

7. You're right, I am conflicted! Here is my reasoning though:

If there are people who didn't buy the full version before because it was a bit too expensive, then with the price drop and new features, I think some might be interested enough to upgrade.

For new players seeing the game for the first time at the low price and with the new features, I would prefer they only have the impulse buy option and not the lite version option.

On the other hand, if I keep the lite version and even upgrade it with OpenFeint support, then I could let the social features of OpenFeint leaderboards, Facebook posts, and Twitter posts do their thing by bringing new users into the fold, maybe then the lite version would serve some purpose.

I just can't decide which way to go.
    To Lite or not to Lite. That is the question. Whether tis nobler in the App Store to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous apptards, or to take out the Lite and avoid a sea of troubles, and by so doing earn more money.
    Sigh...decisions, decisions!

8. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Would keeping your lite version available a little while longer really make much of a difference? Remember that Apple are supposed to have changed it now so updates to apps won't give you any front page exposure, so even though you'll be making an update to your lite app, you won't see a sudden influx of people downloading it.

Ideally you would remove your lite version when you are making a big advertising push to the paid version. Is this what you're preparing to do? In this case, I'd remove the lite version from the app store while you do the big marketing push, then when the sales start dropping after the marketing effort, release the update to the lite app and hopefully get a second wave of buys. If you can squeeze this all into one week, you should benefit from both phases of buying being counted toward your chart position on the app store.

Then once the second wave of purchases has died down, remove the lite version for good. :)

9. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Honestly, that is a decision that is left up to the developer. I don't see anything wrong with either position.

As long as you are in the Top 100 (any category), you can pick up an impulse sale here and there. Without that exposure, it is almost impossible for people to stumble upon your app. A Free version helps with that exposure.

We happen to have a demo just because our gameplay and controls are so different. We want people to have the chance to decide if it's for them or not. At the same time, that leaves a lot of room for retards to leave nasty reviews/comments.

10. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Hi Ken,
    Have you made a decision about your Lite or Non-Lite question? I think I agree with a previous poster that you should pull the lite to coincide with the updated release and price drop for the paid app. Stay on top of marketing during the first week of update release. Then in 2-3 weeks re-release the free version with updates to drive folks to the paid version. Advertise the lite as a "limited time offer" and state outright that the lite will only be available for 1 week, 2 weeks, whatever you decide (I'd suggest no more than 2 weeks) to see if you can drive more folks to convert to paid.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the update! Can't wait to see it.

Q