Is there a Defender style game for the iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mr. Scary, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Boss Man
    Mid Michigan
    I could play that game for hours, or until the quarters ran out.

I'd love to see it again...on my iPhone!:p

What about Star Castle? Anything like that out?

2. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I could too, but up/down, reverse/thrust, shoot, smart bomb, hyperspace and a level of control to grab the humans.. That's a lot of touch space.

3. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, it's called Repton.

Grafx look cheesy but it seems to have gotten good reviews (even tho some look fake).

i would love a Star Castle game. I've been hoping for that and Omega Race. Long live 1980...

4. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Boss Man
    Mid Michigan
    I'll give that one a try! T/Y

5. I used to have Defender the arcade unit in my house for about 6 months. My dad knew dude who ran Del Mar Surf and Turf so he loaned it to me. So anyway I had the key to tweak all the settings to the game and credits and what not...this is in 1983 (I think). Used to play for hours on end with friends coming over and what not. So finally he comes to pick up Defender and I couldn't remember where I put the the damn key (did find it the next day though but too late). Long story short had to call a locksmith and my birthday money went to pay for locksmith...since then I hate Defender just brings back bad memories cuz it ruined my birthday!

6. faulconbridgesoftware

Apr 17, 2009
    planet defence

Apologies for the self promotion... I loved Defender as a kid and played it endlessly on the BBC Micro under the guise of Planetoid... so I've written something as close to the original as I could including most of the in-game sounds. Hyperspace and bombs are there too.
    I'll try and get a youtube video of it but here are some screenshots:
    http://www.faulconbridgesoftware.com.au/

The game is called 'Planet Defence', hope you enjoy it!

7. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    Checking it out.
    link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311630738&mt=8

8. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with self promotion here. Welcome to the forum!

9. faulconbridgesoftware

Apr 17, 2009
  10. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Just want to let you know that in America, "defence" is spelled "defense." I'm assuming that you're British or Canadian so if it's possible, you should change the name in the US store to get more sales.

11. cheezeburger69

cheezeburger69 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Target Cart Attendant
    Dirty Stallis
    Actually in the rules its states "- Don't post advertisements for your blog/podcast/youtube-channel on the site. (signature links are acceptable within reason). Self promotion is strictly prohibited."

Rules Link: http://forums.toucharcade.com/announcement.php?f=2

12. That doesn't include apps promoted by developers/publishers/people directly involved with it. Just other websites, blogs, YouTube (and related) channels, etc. that could be considered to be in competition with tA or may not be entirely germane to the topics at hand here.

You can post self-promoting links of that nature in your sig (within reason) though, but apps and such, they're perfectly welcome here. If they weren't, this place wouldn't be nearly as lively as it is. And of course, you'd get no developer's posting promo codes... ;)

13. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Not very many people even know what star castle is any more, it was one of the games I played all the time.

14. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for the heads-up on the free demo but, would it be Defense?

15. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Retired :-)
    England
    WoooHooo - Planet Defence, bought it this morning and it is *excellent*. I prefer playing it in 'tilt' mode as it keeps the playing area clear. Top marks to the developer :)

ChrisH

16. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    yep, i just tried the lite version of planet defence and am extremely impressed. feels smooth, choice of controls is very welcome and it feels as retro as ya like. this is the nearest to defender/dropzone ive seen on iphone so many thanks for releasing it. once online highscores are in place this game is pure win :)

17. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Planet Defenc/se looks great! I'll grab that one tonight for sure.

I've also got a Defenderish app in the store, but more along the lines of the old Choplifter game. Here's the game's website... check it out if you like: http://www.saucelifter.com

18. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Great to see these arcade classics coming to the iPhone. Now, if Mr. Madgarden or Mr. Faulconbridgesoftware can pleeeze develop a game which very, very closely resembles ;) my favorite arcade classic--Cosmic Avenger--my life would be complete! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a3KSTxv2Ok

19. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Ahh, "Scramble," essentially. I've been thinking of something like that, actually. I'll keep it in mind. ;)

20. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    nah - think it should kept that way as free educational guide for americans :rolleyes: