Crazy Sk8r

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ShawnM, Mar 15, 2015.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Game Developer
    New Albany, Ohio
    #1 ShawnM, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    I've been working on an iOS skateboarding game and am now in need of beta testers. The game is not yet optimized so I doubt it will work on anything less than an iPhone 5. But if someone has a 4s and is willing to test that would be great. Video footage below. Please PM me your email if you would like a TestFlight invite.

2. Spracky

Spracky Active Member

Mar 11, 2015
    I'll give it a go! Sent you a PM

3. zatoichi

zatoichi Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    This looks fantastic.

4. ShawnM

ShawnM Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Game Developer
    New Albany, Ohio
    Thanks! I am adding a halfpipe track today. Hope to post a new build today or tomorrow :)

5. This looks like lots of fun. Does it use Tilt Control? I love how the sk8r guy is so casual

6. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Wow this looks cool! I love longboarding (this looks more like longboarding than skateboarding).

Although I don't like tilt controls myself. Maby able to slide your finger on the screen?

7. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    #7 fabianb, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    After some play time, the controls feel a bit too sensitive. I would also love other options than tilt control. Maby tap the left side of the screen to go left and tap on the right side of the screen to go right. The middle would be to slide. 33% (left screen) 33% (middle screen for slide) and the 33% of the right side to turn right.
    I hope you do understand this :).

And what about an endless mode? It would actually be perfect for this kind of game. Not with annoying weird obstackles but with real traffic, intersections and so on?

8. ShawnM

ShawnM Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Game Developer
    New Albany, Ohio
    Thanks for the feedback! There are sensitivity controls if you tap the "pause" button and then the settings icon btw (it looks like a square gear). I plan to add turning options via buttons on the sides and a virtual joystick, but they may not make it into initial release.

The game was originally intended to be an endless skateboarder, but I was afraid people would just go very slowly and get really far. I may add it back as a "free skate" type thing with no real scoring system.

9. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    great preview

Looks like a great game, awesome sound effects, and great graphics quality. Don't have a 4S unfortunately, but I'll definitely keep a look out for it when it launches.

10. ShawnM

ShawnM Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Game Developer
    New Albany, Ohio
    #10 ShawnM, Mar 20, 2015
    I just released a new build of the game with a skatepark level:

Edit: Old video removed.

It is still pretty rough, but I would love feedback on how fun vs. frustrating it is. The skatepark levels will all be downhill snake style because I don't want to have to introduce controls to push the skateboard.. I want to keep it a one touch game (plus tilt).

The skatepark levels will have checkpoints you have to pass through rather than stuff to avoid like in the road levels. Maybe even special checkpoints in which the back end of the board has to pass through first for tricks.

Still looking for beta testers! Please PM me your email if you would like a TestFlight invitation.

11. Hey I've been playing the game a bit. Initially it was really hard and frustrating, it was super sensitive and I kept holding the slide rather than tapping it which meant I kept going around in circles.

Now that I've turned the sensitivity down in settings i'm finding it a lot easier and enjoyable. Perhaps have sensitivity turned down a bit by default? The half pipe is fun but I think it needs to be steeper in some parts because I found myself losing momentum and not being able to go anywhere.

But definitely keen to challenge myself further with this game, it's lots of fun now that I'm use to the controls. I'm also a big fan of the skater guy. :)

12. ShawnM

ShawnM Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Game Developer
    New Albany, Ohio
    Thanks a ton for the feedback! The controls are my biggest concern, and I've played the game so many times now that my opinion is useless. Yours really helps!

13. ShawnM

ShawnM Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Game Developer
    New Albany, Ohio
    New version of game!

I went back to the drawing board and reworked many parts of this game. The controls are (hopefully) much better now, and gameplay is now a hybrid of levels and endless skater. I also have a "City Streets" section with traffic intersections. Looking for new beta testers! Here is the brand new video:

14. cbecks_noble

cbecks_noble Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2015
    pixel pusher @ cwade games
    Coquitlam BC
    #14 cbecks_noble, Jun 11, 2015
    Would awesome if the skater put his hand down on a big slide :D Looks great! Can't wait to play it. I would be happy to beta test!

15. ShawnM

ShawnM Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Game Developer
    New Albany, Ohio
    I'd like to add that, too. Unfortunately that is a greater technical challenge than it seems. It involves pre-created animation combined with real time physics so that the hand stays on the road surface. It is definitely possible, but at the lower end of the to do list for now :)

16. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    When is this gonna be released?

17. ShawnM

ShawnM Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Game Developer
    New Albany, Ohio
    I'm not sure yet. It depends a lot on feedback from the beta testers. It could be ready in a little as a month, but I probably more like 2 months. So far the feedback from game testers is that the game is still a little bit too hard. So I need to address that.

18. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Okay, I've got my eye on this! Missed the beta. Oh well.
    Thanks for that! :)