A year on, the general quality of games available is still poor....

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by AchillesReborn, Jul 24, 2009.

1. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    A year ago, people had extremely high hopes for this platform on these boards. Many people believed that games would rapidly improve, to the point where a portion of the games would be on a par with true hand-held games consoles, as well as having a good number of cheaper games designed for short bursts. However, it seems that the success of low-risk, low-development .99 cent games has completely dominated the app store. The ratio of these style of games to fully fledged games is overwhelming. Aside from a few titles, Ronlandos, a few racing titles etc., nost games are severly lacking in content, and usually lacking in even short term entertainment. I haven't bought an appstore game for about 2 months. I've checked these pages every couple of weeks to check out the new releases. What I see always makes my heart sink. Endless poorly developed, shallow, gimmicky crap.

Maybe one day Square Enix will release a final fantasy game, or a big developer will release something more than a gimmicky piece of crap (RE, silent hill and MTG) designed to cash in on the name.

Maybe.

Until then, I'll stick with chess, tetris, and a few other half decent games amongst the piles and piles of manure.

2. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I agree. It's late and I can't be bothered to elaborate.

3. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Here are some more recent games that I would definately pay $20 for on DS:

-Stone Loops of Jurassica
    -Isotope
    -Galaxy on Fire
    -Knights Onrush
    -Starhogs (Snails)
    -Secret of Monkey Island SE
    -Bounce On
    -3d Brick Breaker Revolution
    -Fast & Furious
    -Ragdoll Blaster
    -Puzzlings
    -Castle of Magic

Okay, a few are not really new, but I was looking for more unique game (Games like Pipemania are on DS).

Just my $.02

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I see what you mean. All of my games are simple casual ones, not any "big game" from a big developer because they all suck

5. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    There's tons and tons of great games. And there're all a buck. How could anyone be complaining. Most of the DS's best games are casual games as well.

Check out Harbor Master, or every variant of Tower Defense known to man.

6. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #6 CaseyLay, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
    That's a load of crap. $.99 games are actually on a higher risk because there are so many of them. Supply and demand. We've actually come a long way from day one if you've been paying any attention to this stuff at all. Chess and Tetris? What about all of the actually good games on the appstore?

You gotta be kidding me... What about NgMoco? What about Gameloft or Eurocenter or Appex? THQ AND EA?! Or Capcom for that matter? There are rarely ever any $.99 games I have interest for, but there have been a lot of great big games.

Edit: what else do you consider as a gimmicky, piece of crap? I'm almost afraid to know.

7. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    So true...I really hoped for the App Store to evolve more than it has - oh well.

Also, you said Ronlandos :).

8. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Exactly how much evolution were you hoping for?

9. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Guess I thought too quickly and overlooked some. Still big games I got like Rolando and the games I've gotten from Gameloft and EA never appealed to me. Some are great, but the majority aren't greatly done

10. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    That, to me, is like saying after thousands of years the mass majority of people on earth are still not well educated. Well that may be true because there are billions of people. That isn't to say there aren't very intelligent people in places doing great things.
    There is such a huge amount of games and apps that any average is going to look really bad, but there are some really great games out there. Real Racing, Rolando, Zen Bound, Flight Control, Mecho Wars, F.A.S.T, Flick Fishing, and TTR that, while not incredibly engaging or long, are very good for all having less than a year of development.
    I am tired of all the complaining about the appstore quality. I think it is on the rise even as the prices drop. People have been too quick to judge and we just need to wait it out a bit longer.

11. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    What do you expect?!?! It has been a single year and we have found many quality titles. Give it time to grow.

12. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Are you kidding? Look at threads made in the beginning of TA. $10 games that sucked royally. In October when I got my touch, Cube Runner was the pinnacle of iPhone gaming. The AppStore has grown a lot!

13. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    lol I remember that

14. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    Cro Mag Rally was a featured title a year ago... which was just awful. Progress is being made... Doom Resurrection, Rolando, Real Racing are all at the forefront of premium iPhone original games. There are some more in the pipeline... but these titles are released among dozens and dozens of other gimick apps.

The pricing of apps is a problem, where it seems anything over .99 bombs... but I think as the user base grows, so will the segment of people who want premium games, and are willing to pay $10 or more.

I personally can't wait for Warp Gate (another premium iPhone orignal) - if the title is all I hope it is for, I will gladly pay $10 or more.

15. Parrappa

Parrappa Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2008
    #15 Parrappa, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
    I think you need to get off your high horse. Who cares about quality? If the games are fun then play them. Obviously people seem to enjoy them so who cares.

16. arhb

arhb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    NYC
    This is a ridiculous thread

Why do people not think before they complain?
    I'm glad to see many comments have rebutted this thread. Yes there are a lot, A LOT, of ordinary games, but there really have been some stunning efforts that have changed how we play hand-held console games. We are also seeing more and more original ideas being developed by small companies that would never have seen the light of day without the App Store. So I am not complaining in the least. Also the ability to interact with developers on sites like this has been a great thing, and fun for everybody.
    I think things are really gaining momentum, and who knows, maybe we will start to see some really substantial games being released in the future (once the Store has actually been around for long enough for them to be developed) but whatever happens kudos to the developers. I'm off to play Monkey Island Special Edition.

17. smirnoffsky

smirnoffsky Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Quality games doesn't necessarily have to be BIG projects by BIG names.

ESPECIALLY when it comes to the iDevice!

Yea sure, it would be great if more BIG names with BIG developments do come out soon - why not?! And yes, there are a lot of crappy games right now in the iStore. But do not - i repeat, DO NOT underestimate the passion and dedication of many indie developers who gave soul to the iDevice and put it on the map for everyone to see. I for one am enjoying a hell lot more from their games right now... especially the so-called "simple", "underdeveloped" 99c ones. Heck I barely even use my PSP for mobile gaming. There's something about iDevice games that really "clicks". Something I never get to experience on my other gaming consoles.

Besides, if I wanted to play "bigger", more "developed" games, I'd simply turn on my Xbox.

18. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    ive only had my idevice since March and even then have seen a rapid increase in quality games. things take time to develop and games, console quality ones especially can take even years to complete .. and thats with a large team behind them.

most games and apps for this device are made by independant developers who may have other things going on inc a proper job and game creation is made in thier spare time. games made by large companies such as EA have been of high quality to, take Tiger Woods as an example. its often the bigger companies that disregard customer service and opinions tho.

All things considered i think some incredible games have been appearing, especially recently and at insane prices.

its a shame people find fault in everything, stop whining or try and do a better job yerself ;)

19. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I always said, that it takes time to develop those big games. My idea was, that the big ones will take a look on the platform after february 2009 and maybe beging developing bigger stuff at may.

And, guess what, since may the bigger releases are rolling in and even more bigger companies are telling that they are working on iPhone titles. We now have Sims, Real Racing, Need for Speed, Zenonia, Doom Resurrection, Worms, Rolando 2, Assassins Creed, Terminator Salvation, Monkey Island, Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies, Edge, F.A.S.T., Top Gun, great Tower Defense stuff like Sentinel 2, geoDefense, Defender Chronicles and FieldRunners, Castle of Magic, many platform puzzlers like Bobby Carrot and Toki Tori and so it goes on and on.

Yes, on top of that, we have many small casual games and guess what: I love them! Because on a platform like the iPhone, the time slots for gaming are smaller than on the DS or PSP and therefore these high quality games likes DrawRace, Flight Control, Smiles or Tower Bloxx fit very well.

Yes, we also have DS Effects. And many other crappy devs. We have tons of them. Just ignore them and take the good stuff.

20. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    There are definitely much better games now than 1 year ago:

big name games:
    - NFS & Real Racing
    - Monkey Island
    - Myst
    - Zenonia
    - Toki Tori
    - Peggle
    - Tiger Woods