Metric puddingload of non-FF Square Enix titles on sale.

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Appletini, Dec 20, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks! And glad I could help bring a few games to light for a couple members here....

**deleted**
    Yeah, I prolly shouldn't push it just yet...

2. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Did anybody try Chrono Trigger on an IPad 2 and how did it look? I have heard a lot of moaning re: "vaseline filter" on the visuals and some other stuff that supposedly makes it much inferior to DS/SNES original (music?), is there actually any truth to it?

3. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    #43 Jibba, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    I picked up FFIV recently and it was the first FF game I've played in 15-20 years. I am loving it and want to grab 1-2 more SE games while the sale lasts. I think I lean toward more traditional style RPGs (TWEWY just seems too modern/different for my taste). FFT is intriguing but time is tough to come by for me so I think that's out. Basically, I feel like FFIV is a very good level of depth for what I have time for these days.

I've been considering Chrono Trigger and/or one of the CR games based on recommendations in the FFIV thread but figured I'd ask here too now that I have a better idea of what I'm looking for. As for CR, I was considering one of the first two since the price is really great right now, but I know that if I only end up getting one, CRII is the best of the three (but on the other hand it would ruin the story for the first two). As for CT, the reviews are pretty harsh but I am on iOS 6 so I probably don't have to worry about the crashing. I have not played any non-FF games from SE so there is no sentimental value involved.

Also, I don't know much about Secret of Mana or other SE games. Recommendations?

4. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Secret of Mana is one of my favorite SNES games back then. Definitely worth buying.

5. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    As someone who absolutely loved the Zelda games, clones such as Across Age have disappointed me on iOS (not that it was a bad game). How is Secret of Mana in comparison to Across Age and other hack and slash RPGs on iOS?

6. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Vastly superior. But I dont think SoM is that similar to Zelda.

7. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    #47 Jibba, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    Thanks. I picked it up and look forward to it.

I think I'm also going to pick up one of the CR titles since they seem the most like the FF titles. I was considering picking up one of the first two, and then eventually working my way into CRII. Now I'm leaning toward just skipping the first two and going straight to CRII since I have a backlog that includes FFIV (currently playing), Ghost Trick, SoM, Wild Blood, NOVA 3, Aralon, Walking Dead and ME Infiltrator. But these SE sales only happen about twice a year.

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Gotta throw this in here.... I know it's not SE related, but Kemco. Check out their published titles... VERY reminicant of older FF titles....

9. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Thanks. Looks like I just missed a huge sale too (4 games from $8.99/$6.99 -> $.99. I just put a bunch of their games on my wishlist since they seem to go on sale a few times a year. Since I know nothing about Kemco games, do you recommend anything in particular?

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If I have not yet played Chaos Rings or Chaos Rings Omega yet (both of which I own, backlogged) should I pick up Chaos Rings II anyway because it's... on sale?
    Symphony of Eternity is a good general starting point for Kemco games. Each usually have their own "hook" (iirc Fantasy Chronicles has pet collecting, Grinsia has a item/treasure hunting focus, etc). Dark Gate has a detailed job system so might be the least accessible.

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Good idea... they do seem to drop down to $0.99 fairly often. =o)

Aaaaaaaaaand...

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you want something more straight forward, with not too much customization, I'd go for

Alphadia 1 or 2.

Grinsia and Symphony of Eternity are kind of deep in terms of customization, equips and mechanics...

Eve of the Genesis is a bit of a step up from those two, but not super deep.

Fantasy Chronicle is up there in terms of depth

and Dark Gate is Kemco's deepest title, with a FANTASTIC job system that'll keep you busy with equips, skills, and all that.

Each one has a great story, with Symphony of Eternity and Dark Gate being the most... 'cliche' - while Grinsia, Fantasy Chronicle and Alphadia both seem to have a sort of cliche story, but with some great twists and turns. Eve of the Genesis is more cyberpunkish in terms of enemies and plot. You're fighting mechanical monsters the whole time with a bit of the whole 'we created machines, they took us over, we destroyed them, now they're coming back for revenge' type storyline.

Each one has your typical virtual control layout, with a couple having a tap to move option... simple UI that's easy to understand, and great tutorials, as well as top of the stack translation. You will come across a couple of grammatical errors, but not many, and everything is laid out very clearly, so you'll always know what's going on, and what you need to do.

The graphics in 2X mode look as you might expect (as they're all iPhone only) - but Alphadia 2 looks almost like it's Universal. There's hardly any pixelation on the iPad (while playing on an iPad 2) - and I really hope it's some optimization that Kemco's going to apply to all future releases (and if we're lucky, will apply to all of their previous releases as well).

If you want some more in-depth info, just let me know... I can PM you and give you the whole scoop. =o)