Tegra 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Jan 6, 2013.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    nVidia is having a big to-do today, it's rumored (likely) that they'll announce the Tegra 4. Speculations? Opinions?

The T3 was a bit of a joke for gaming, the T4 will probably seek to remedy that to some extent.

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Fot those that don`t know what JBRUU is talking about:

Source:

I hope that Nvidia will also announce the 7xx GPU Serie.

3. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    Very Exciting News!!! I love my nexus 7,and thinkpad tablet (wacom digitizers ftw)....Sorry to say i havent touched the ipad in a while :S.

4. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Definitely getting another Nexus 7 if it comes (more than likely) with the Tegra 4. In hopes to see even more games available because of it. This is great news.

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

7. TimmyB

TimmyB Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Why do you like those products more than the iPad? Just wondering...

8. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

9. Not sure why a picture of Project Shield needed a TA watermark, but I'll just leave this here...

[​IMG]

That about says it all, really.

10. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #10 S.I.D. CrAzY, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    If that handheld does everything they claim it will do, then day one purchase. Though I doubt it will. Just sounds too good to be true.

Edit: Or if it ever comes out. Things like these tend to either just disappear or disappoint.

11. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Should make for some good devices I personally can't wait until the A15 cores are more common just to see what they can do, 72 GPU cores on the Tegra 4 sound's pretty insane.

Then again Tegra 3 was very impressive on the unveiling as well though and never quite lived up to it. The new Mali GPU's are also quite impressive and will start filtering through this year.

To me it looks like this could really be the year phones start challenging consoles and actual pc's in capability but even if they don't who wouldn't want a quad core A15 and 72 GPU cores in their pocket.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    "Five to ten hours of battery life" means "about five hours". Somebody get working on battery tech already, this is lame.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Color me skeptical. Not on the chip itself -- I'm sure it does what Nvidea says it does -- but on the way it was announced and the prospects for their handheld on the market. Say what you want about Apple: when they announce a new chip they do so in conjuction with a device that will be available within weeks (not a vague "2nd Quarter") and for a purpose that seems compelling to a wide audience, such as running a retina display or streamlining the form factor. My guess is that there are no third-party Tegra 4 devices coming in the near future, otherwise Nvidea would not have introduced the chip with a handheld aimed at a non-existent market (hardcore Android gamers).

As much as like Marek and Madfinger, there's no way that they will attract Vita and 3DS gamers with a freemium zombie shooter -- and in any event the market for dedicated handhelds has been shrinking steadily. I would have been less skeptical if we'd seen committments from major players like Activision, EA, and Take 2. But even then, we've seen what they've delivered for the Vita so far.

It's exciting to see the capabilities of mobile devices improving at such a fast rate. But great gaming requires much more than raw power. You need a real market, one that is willing to pay enough for games to make the large investment worthwhile. I don't see the Tegra 4 changing the dynamics of the market.

14. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Are you implying the Tegra 4 is DOA? If so, be prepared to eat your own words (no offense intended). I have a Tegra 3 tablet, and while it performs worse than my primitive iPad 2 (in today's sense), I have played some pretty cool Tegra 3 exclusives such as Puddle and Auralux.

15. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    My friend, CES 2013 has not even begun. Take my word for it that at least the three Taiwanese brands (Asus, Acer and HTC) will indeed be showing off Tegra 4 hardware during CES, and it will launch during Q1 2013 itself (before the nVidia gaming console).

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Well regardless of what manufacturers pick it up and how powerful it might be on paper or even in real-world performance, few devs want to make games for it. Money is not in Android unless you're sponsored by nVidia or a very, very big name like Gameloft, Madfinger or EA, and even then only a small fraction of their revenue comes from Android. For the smaller devs (mika mobile comes to mind, likewise Crescent Moon isn't likely to port their big RPGs) porting to Android isn't worth it.

So T4 isn't a game changer in the sense that it probably won't solve Android's no. 1 problem, which is that few want to make games or apps for the platform.

17. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Sorry for sounding brash, but you are taking an elitist stand on this. Have you used Android devices before? Do you know people who game on Android?

I will be the first to agree iOS gaming is leaps and bounds ahead of Android, but iOS gaming cannot progress much farther. For Android, the progress is near-limitless.

Why? Because you have native controller support, are easily able to plug in your tablet/phone into the TV via HDMI, can play cloud-streamed games and have innovative products such as gaming tablets, handheld console and traditional console/home media boxes.

Besides, Android gamers have a penchant to spend too...though at the moment it is much lesser than iOS despite having more total users.

Personally, the problem that is holding back Android gaming is Android itself. I mean, putting a Tegra 3 (or any currently available quad-core Android device) next to an iPad 2 which is over 20 months old, and the iPad 2 will put any Android device to shame.

Android is unstable, inherently laggy and I have yet to meet a SINGLE GAME that runs smoother and on a higher framerate on Android as compared to an iDevice.

18. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

This will make a great portable emulator device if nothing else. Does this mean I can finally have my portable N64?

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Tegra 4 seems to be some awesome tech that'll likely be totally wasted on Android shitware just like Tegra 3. :(

I want to believe, but fool me once, shame on you, fool me four times and I run out of idioms to use.

Pretty sure N64 emulation on a portable level has existed for years?

20. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    I understand that you run the show around here, but isn't "shitware" a nasty word to use? I was asked by a fellow member here to use good language or else face the ban, but yet you go around saying such words and spewing hatred to another platform.

Just a case in point: if I used "shitware" in a context to put down the iPhone 5 or iPad 4, would I be banned?