Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    You can keep Minsc without Dynaheir if you just kill her and then use "reform party" to kick her out. Or you can berserk Minsc and when he crits Dynaheir she'll explode into gibs (if you're on original difficulty).

2. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Wow, and I thought I was a horrible person for leaving Minsc and Dynaheir in the Gnoll Stronghold...

I think I am having a bit of buyer's remorse. Minsc is a better fighter and pack mule than Khalid, but Khalid also had more hit points and didn't have half his health taken away every time a Xvert looked at him the wrong way...

And Neera, seriously, whose bright idea was it to give a mage with only 4 hit points starting out, only weapon proficiency, and that one being in a melee weapon?!? And my excuse for keeping her around, "well, I bought her" still sounds a bit creepy...

3. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Pretty much all mages are useless until you get a couple levels in em. I decided giving Neera a sling she doesn't know how to use and watching her whiff was about the same as watching her whiff with with a staff she does know how to use (while she gets murdered in melee).

Had a fun wild surge while trying to fight the spiders in Bergerost, though. Neera managed to fear almost everybody on both sides, and my two characters who weren't running around like maniacs managed to win what is a pretty hard fight for a level 1 party.

If you get tired of Misc and you don't mind a guy who puts the word 'Helm' into every goddamn sentence he utters, you can grab Ajantis. I've managed to get his AC to -6 (plus bonuses for most attack types) by level 4.

4. Myrmidon76

Myrmidon76 Active Member

Aug 23, 2012
    I wish my Santa would have enough money for a new iPad too, but unfortunately he doesn't... :( Waiting for the support for iPad 1. It wouldn't be a problem to play on PC, but the idea of playing BG on iPad feels so good. :)

5. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Yea, but why make them even more so and more frustrating for new players to use? Seriously, she is a new character and nothing prevented the Devs from giving her a little more useful and less suicidal weapon proficiency like sling or darts. Maybe even let her use a bow.
    What? Minsc had a berserk ability, Xan had a sword and a couple of other characters had 20-ies in their stats, all of which wasn't strictly according to the rules.

6. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    As a new player, how do I decide who to keep in my party and who to replace them with?

I guess its just whatever I feel like doing. But I can't make a decision because I think that further down the line I may have screwed myself!!

7. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    From memory of the Pc version, it all boils down to:
    1. party composition
    2. alignment

How do you wish to play the game? In the early game, your party is very weak and Mages are very, very squishy. You have the freedom in how difficult you can make life for yourself and the trade-off. You definitely must have bow ability - otherwise you'll make life very difficult.

The other aspect is alignment. If your party composition have diametrically opposite alignments, expect a lot of internecine fighting - ultimately, deaths or disbandment!

Another aspect is personalities. This is where as a new player, you'll be at a disadvantage. On the other hand, you can always kick people out of your party if you want to replace them (or arrange to have them killed). Watch out for internecine fighting!

Once the UI issues are resolved on the iPad, I'll be sorely tempted to make a Neutral Evil character. If I really wanted a Demon Souls type experience, an Evil Mage! Doubt I'd make it as far as Beregost!

8. neonbible

Jan 24, 2011
    Ok thanks. I guess I need to pay more attention to character classes and alignment.

I started out as a half elf ranger with skills in short sword.

So far he doesn;t seem to do much damage, I don't know if I should have started with a Fighter or Barbarian given I am a beginner.

Agree about UI, finding it quite frustrating playing this. Please fix!

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I LOLed!

Valid points in your whole post i left out, but I always raise the old DM inside me and excuse it with "Well, I am roleplaying a character!"

10. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I restarted his game, and I am stuck.

I am in a basement in the beginning of the game where I end up with 6 people, and need to use all the skills to get things.
    There is a door at the bottom, that you cannot lockpick and need to use magic I guess.. what spell do I need there ?
    Tried everything but nothing seems to work.

11. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    I assume you're referring to the party combat training in Candlekeep. If you already fought the little beasts, then just speak to the NPC, and he'll offer to teleport you out.

12. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Yep. I know I can teleport out, but still wanted to do that interaction, so I know what to do later on.

13. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Ohh. Well there's nothing specific - just fight the monsters. It's just practice for managing a party in combat, and you can do it as many times as you want before you teleport out.

14. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I know, but what spell do I need to open the door ?
    Rather try it now, then when I need to figure it out later on.

15. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Sorry I don't understand. What door? There's no door you need to open in that basement.

16. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    There is a door for a room at the bottom of that basement.
    When you press the button on the right, it shows you all the highlighted items
    When i want to open the door it says locked. I could not lockpick it and told me to use a spell or something like that

17. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    This is the area

Attached Files:

18. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Ohhhh. That's not the Candlekeep training area. That's the tutorial. I can't remember exactly, but I think you need to activate a switch or something.

19. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I haven't played the tutorial, and I'm not sure if you even have this spell in the tutorial, but the only spell that can open locks is the the spell "Knock".

If you have that spell in your spell book, that's the one to use..

20. neonbible

Jan 24, 2011
    Don't you need to find a key somewhere there to open the door?