I think iOS should cost more. What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheEvilRobot, Jun 22, 2013.

1. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    I think iOS games should cost more.

.99 is a giveaway.

I think they should charge more for their games because you I think it would really help them out.

What do you guys think?

2. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
  3. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    A lot of them do charge more. As a developer, it's kind of disconcerting how everything has switched to IAP. I mean, it's really the only way to make money from a game as charging a buck just doesn't pay the bills. This isn't the way I wanted to go, though. I agree... The entry price to games is too low but the developers could band together and start charging more, but that will never happen. I say get rid of freemium and bring back paid games... But unfortunately, it's the way of the world at the mo, and I gotta join in, if I want to make a living!

4. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    They should, but most of them won't because because not many people would buy them (with the exceptions of some ports)

5. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    I agree, I think a lot of IOS gamers bully the developers, the games are already cheap as it gets, yet all you hear is complaining.

And then the issue with IAP, I honestly don't see anything wrong with putting IAP in a game, because in reality we should be thankful that we are even being allowed to play any of it for free.

I think it's all psychological, IOS gamers have become so used to 99 cent/free games that they think it should even cost less. It's bullying, because if the developers were able to price their games higher and make it a standard then the whiners would back off or probably follow the herd and pay more.

I really do feel for the developers though.

6. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Well you may have a point here,but the increase must be reasonable..Im thinking of pricing close to steam/desura..Though the game should have some real quality or decent amount of content..

There are a lot of indie games that really cost more than a buck or two at the AppStore..Some are even very successful..At the end of the day it's just the game that will appeal to the audience..

Life is a cruel mistress..

7. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Well there was quite an outrage when the cost of apps in countries which use Euro increased from 0.79€ to 0.89€. I can't imagine what would happen if the price would increase x5 or whatever you are thinking apps should cost. Most people would probably boycott iOS.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Part of the problem is that roughly 1/3rd of the games available in the appstore should come with a check payable TO ME for installing such garbage.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    That's a bunch of baloney.

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I think you should throw in a few extra bucks to every dev for every app you buy because you feel so guilty and leave the rest of us out of it. ;)

11. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Nah. I think the best thing is for the market forces determine the optimum price for apps. If that optimum price turns out to be 69p then great! If it turns out to be higher them that's fine too.

12. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    +10000000000000

13. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    IAP is fine but in some cases it's unfairly used. I found that with Real Racing 3. You'd have to spend hundreds of dollars or be VERY patient to complete the thing properly. That's when it becomes about greed.

14. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    The App Store needs to be separated for casual and core gamers. The iOS platform has good potential to be a better gaming platform and Apple needs to put part of it. The premium, blockbuster games needs to cost more.
    There are games very well done, deep, immersive, complex and with faith for part of the developer, not just for money (this is one of the things I don't like Gameloft's games, there are good, but they just goes half way and forget the game for release another)

Anyway, some gems at the App Store also needs to be better announced. There are great games and many people just look for runners and that kind of stuff. The App Store needs to be separated for different people and different costumers.

15. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Truthfully, I think the current iOS model isn't so different than Steam, et al. The biggest issue is hardware, especially memory and storage limitations. If iOS devices were more robust, the quality and selection of AAA games would escalate, acceptable price levels would go up naturally, and casual games would remain cheaper.