Universal Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer [Dreamscape expansion]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Artfoundry, Jun 30, 2011.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I wonder if I've played someone from this thread yet. I'm onlyphoenix on GC, I would love to play people from here.

2. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Yeah I might have put on a really short timer by accident.

3. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    Good games! You're tough! :)

4. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    #2024 sapphire_neo, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    Is Gamecenter down? Thanks for the two matches tecwrtr.

5. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    Gamecenter or the servers ?

I don't manage to connect on this game or Nightfall:confused:

6. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    It's GameCenter. There are reports on twitter and in other threads here too.

7. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    As a fan of Ascension (Boardgame and IOs version), I think we could help Playdek to improve this game.

Here are (imho) 10 improvements you should consider ^^

1) Chat system (like Hero Academy)
    2) Gamecenter's achievements
    3) Promo cards as rewards for achievements (like Nightfall)
    4) Custom cube deck creation (it would be interesting to create his own deck and test it online ^^)
    5) Bug correction (Dartha's retreat for instance)
    6) Possibility to choose the amount of honor for each type of game
    7) Possibility to listen to his own music and the other ascension theme (for example, if you have RotF, you can only listen to RotF theme)
    8) Possibility to save the last options used for each game (to avoid choosing the same options each time we create a game)
    9) New avatars created by SABEE for the IOS game
    10) Game translation (french for instance :p)

/my2c

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks for the hiding this time :p But I was so sleepy during all these matches... 2:30AM here now. During this last Ascension match I could barely keep my eyes open, and I wasted that one opportunity to get the Dhartha 3 card draw. I need to play more Nightfall to figure that out too.

9. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Just wanted to hop in here and apologize to anyone I had a game going with in ascension, nightfall, or food fight. I recently started a new job out of state and to top it off other areas of my life are kind of falling apart at the same time. Wish things were better, and I am sure they will be in time, but until then just abandon those games with Littledannyh please.

10. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    This was a fascinating thread to read as I've been interested in MtG, but never got into it due to 1) never fully digesting the rules and tonnes of errata, and more importantly, 2) cost.

As a former online SoC [Settlers of Catan] player, Ascension definitely interests me because of the online play. Async is perfect given different time zones.

I will have to be patient and wait 3 or so weeks, as I have a couple of professional assignments to write and hand in. Even with the Bank Holiday weekend coming up, I need to focus on assignments first and foremost and meeting up with my Chinese partner (language / activity partner).

I do have a long-ass commute, but 3G connection is a bit flakey in several places so is not conducive to live play. Also, too busy checking out Virgin Atlantic Japanese flight stewardesses on the train ;)

The iPad is the perfect form for board / card gaming. I suspect that Ascension will be the start for me to delve into other multi-player board games that can be played via async play. I also suspect I can rope an iOS friend or two into this soon-to-be new hobby (board / card iOS gaming).

11. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Starting the long road on trying to understand Nightfall. It's slow going haha. Ascension's so much easier to grasp.

12. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So many card games, hard to tell which to try. Ascension is my favorite in ios and like mtg, but haven't tried others. How is nightfall?

13. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    No kidding, I really want to get into NightFall but it just eludes me at the moment :p I just need to invest an hour or so until it clicks.

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #2034 Ayjona, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    Nightfall is more complex and convoluted (but still easy enough; it only took me twenty minutes to half an hour to grasp all mechanics and rules, and I am neither particularly clever nor passionate about card games ;) ), with more interaction between players (effects that target each others' minions, etc) and direct action, which makes for a very nice change of pace from Ascension.

What you really should take a long and hard and deep (and other very suggestive words) look at is Assassin's Creed: Recollection for iOS. I've never played a card game like it, and I've rarely seen ANY iOS game with as much polish and as stunning presentation (from the very smooth and slick UI, to card art, even to the background graphics and music). With 250+ cards from launch, a single player campaign and a *very* active online competitive (but helpful and casual as well) community, and even an auction house that allows players to trade cards, this is a digital card game that already feels like an established physical TCG.

Be warned, though, that AC:R is a real-time card game (so no async), for good reasons. It features rather unique (or at least uncommon enough that I've never seen it) day/night cycles and card resolution mechanics and timing that adds a really interesting and rather hardcore tactical layer to the game, where you still have time enough to consider your choices (unlike a fast-paced RTS game), but must always keep on your toes, remember that you operate on the clock, and even time your actions. I was disappointed to see that there was no hope for async when I first realized the game featured a real-time mechanic, but that sentiment quickly vaporized when I realized that the timing concept actually adds to gameplay, instead of constricts it.

I also sighed inwardly and made a mental note to stay away when I saw that Ubisoft had released another Assassin's Creed tie-in for iOS, but I am very glad I was curious enough over the peculiar choice of a card game that I actually looked past my doubt (and dislike for the franchise).

Add multitasking support, a button that allows us to jump to other matches with active turns (with badges that show the number of active turns in other games), and most importantly: that push notifications should bring us directly into the match in question. With those three, your list is pretty much complete ;)

15. skarsnik

skarsnik Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Singapore
    #2035 skarsnik, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    Quick learn and let's play!!!

I'm on Assassin's creed as well, let's play that too!

16. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I liked the concept of assassins creeds game, but the fact it's random what cards you get and to get good ones, real money has to be spent or waiting a long time, couldn't get past it. I like ascension where the playing field is equal as far as cards go, all that is left is skill and luck.

17. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    The financial side of Assassin's Creed definitely isn't very appealing, when it's combined with the issues people are facing with the store.

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I tried Assassin's Creed, but really didn't like it much. I'm glad I only paid a buck for it. Nightfall is difficult to understand in that particular iOS adaptation. I think it would be easier to learn with the real version. The tutorial in Nightfall is pretty bad and some aspects of the app are a bit needlessly confusing. However, with help (from here in that thread, or friends) you can learn the game and it is fun.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I had a problem with this at first as well, but then I read this post over at the dedicated AC:R forums run by, among others, Tuism from these boards, and realized that if it is possible to break into the top 100 list in such a VERY competitive environment as the one fostered by AC:R without having spent a single dollar on cards (the fella in the thread only spent one dollar to purchase the game for iPad), the progression and deck construction mechanics are far less limited and restrictive (or IAP-reliant) than my initial impression suggested.

Yes, its a great principle, both for competitive gaming and casual matches, and very refreshing as a contrast to facing opponents with IAP-boosted decks (though when they lack skill, their real world money rarely helps, and it seems that most TCGs for iOS actually still place skill above material possession as a determining factor...). But at the same time, there is a very deep strategic layer in constructing your own decks, one that also rewards skill and planning, and creates a different but not any less competitive climate. I'm glad both types exists for iOS.

And this is where digital TCGs shine. They have the great added benefit of allowing players to acquire the IAP currency through gameplay alone, leveling the playfield for those willing to work a bit for their cards, and leading to soms truly player-rich competitive environments. Urban Rivals is a great example, where several of the best players have never spent a single dollar on cards, but built their decks from match winnings alone.

All the more reason to be excited for Summoner Wars from Playdeck ;)

20. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Hey,
    Just logged on to check the game queue and noticed that there were quite a few forfeits! I wondering if it's a glitch since some regular TA members are involved. For the time being I won't claim victories. Members involved include Camzy, cprloe, celeric (4 player) and Wake of Poseidon.