iPhone 3G S Compass + Accelerometer = Immersive 3D games!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ziconic, Jun 21, 2009.

1. ziconic

ziconic Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Here's a video I created with a pre-released/prototype version of AirCoaster 3D that shows what's possible with a device that has both a compass and an accelerometer (i.e. iPhone 3G S and probably iPod touch 3rd gen). :)

Previously, with just the accelerometer, you can only do up/down. The compass lets you go all the way around.

2. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
  3. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Awesome!!! I cant wait to see some applications of this!! GJ!!

4. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Great use of the new hardware features. It will be great to see what devs like you come up with even though I won't be able to use them! No matter what it is a great step forward and brings a lot to the table.

5. TheKrazyRussian

TheKrazyRussian Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    UPS
    CA
    This remind me to say...
    Damn it! I just opened my new 2 nd gen touch. I will bet anything that a 3rd gen touch is right around the corner.

6. dacool561

dacool561 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Looks pretty awesome =O but something about the graphics, like some FPS for me, gives me a headache if staring at it too long =(

7. Rockey04

Rockey04 Well-Known Member

Games were the first thing I thought of when they announced the compass in the iPhone 3G S. I hope it comes to the 3rd Generation iPod Touch!

8. Kiwii

Kiwii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    I just upgraded my 1g touch to a 2g touch not too long ago... This sucks.... now I might have 3 iPod touches?

9. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    wow, that's pretty slick!

10. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    the compass really gives new possiblities, augmented reallity for example (though we might still have the forbidden sdk camera overlay problem -- see what apple changed in one of the next updates of 3.0) --