Join with me to cross-promote your app in a novel way!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by headcaseGames, Jan 24, 2011.

1. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    #1 headcaseGames, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    Fellow indie devs, I am starting a new promotional contest tomorrow with my game 180. What I usually do when promoting is just give the winner their choice of app, but I've been doing it a lot (and it has started adding up, getting pretty costly!) So I thought "what if the prizes were apps donated by fellow independent developers?" You could give me either promocodes or gift codes.

What does this get you?

I am a pretty decent DIY promoter with a good social base and a little bit of savvy. Between all my networking, I have 530 fans for Headcase Games on Facebook (close to 600 daily post views) fed through my personal account as well (piped to a few thousand other FB eyeballs) which is linked with a lot of game dev and media people.. my Twitter account is 6300 followers on my main account with 1270 (some overlap) on my secondary account.. I have a couple of extremely beefy email lists (which I would use sparingly, in that case). All of that adds up to TONS of extra eyeballs pointing to you.

I'll probably start it off a bit small, but if it catches on then I might send out a press release and spam it to the usual sources, we'll see.

What's the contest itself? Well I am encouraging people to play my game, there's already tons of people on the openFeint leaderboards (I think we have about 14,000 active players out of maybe 140,000 total DLs, last I checked). I am starting a daily contest mainly thru my Facebook page for the game (which is still small, but growing somewhat quickly). There's 3 game modes, I'll just have people try to meet some specified goal each day in one of them.

All I want from YOU is - donate some prizes! As specified above, giftcodes or promocodes (for apps which you want to get eyeballs on) would be great. I'll give you the standard "sponsored by" line in Twitter and FB with links to your company/app, and it will definitely get seen by lots of people. This saves me from spending more money, and gets YOU some very cheap publicity (esp. if you have no know-how/interest in marketing otherwise).

I would like a degree of quality of the apps involved, it doesn't need to be heavy-duty production quality, but it needs to at least look like something people would be excited to win :)

Anyway, there's my latest mad-hatter scheme, I am actually pretty excited to see how this winds up. And if it falls flat, then on to the next thing..

let's talk in here or mail [email protected] if you are interested.

EDIT: Bear in mind that if you've no promocodes for your app left, you can still buy a giftcode(s) for your app to giveaway.

2. WhiteBatGames

WhiteBatGames Member

Nov 23, 2010
    #2 WhiteBatGames, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
    Hi,

I'll join you in your promotion!

My game isn't out for a few weeks though, so I can't give you promo codes yet. But when it is, I'll let you know.

- Neil

Edit: See the game's site here: http://www.fruitfrenzy.co.uk

3. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I'm interested as well.

4. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

I'm interested. :)

5. Lonan

Lonan Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    clever. this can work really well.

do you also have a news page in your app to let the players know of this contests?

6. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Great idea - I've got a big update to Lead Wars coming out soon so have been looking into ways to promote it and this would be superb.

7. Ninjagorilla

Ninjagorilla Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
  8. Repair Drone

Repair Drone Well-Known Member

Sounds like a win-win situation, good idea.

9. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    How many promos do you require ?

iPhone only or games only for iPad also qualify ?

10. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    I like it, count me in :)

11. Axeva

Axeva Member

Dec 21, 2010
    iPhone Developer
    Clifton Park, NY
    I'll contribute some promo codes for Cohabit. An email is already on the way.

Good luck!

12. SpaceHunter

SpaceHunter Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I have a new casual game coming out in a few weeks that I would like to gift wrap :)

13. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    anything you like.. use your imagination. The more you contribute, the more often I will promote you :)

As for gift codes, mind that they are only good in the US (or the country you buy them from, I suppose..? How does that work actually?)

glad to see so many people are interested in this - keep 'em coming! Help extend the visibility of the contest & Like the page as well if you don't mind, it will only help to spread the word a little easier.

14. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    aaaaand it's ON!!!

Feel free to help and RT/repost (that link above) as well, and it will only help everyone's ads seen by more people. I will go out and post on several forums right now.

I've got a ton of response from interested devs in this, will contact you all thru this coming week :)

15. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Ok, sent you a mail ;)

16. carrytheone

carrytheone Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Free-range Game Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nice idea! I've got a game coming out pretty soon so will be in touch then. Cheers.

17. xn45oo

xn45oo Active Member

Great idea! Email sent :)

18. Lonan

Lonan Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    will you be doing this just for games? or will you accept other apps aswell?

19. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
  20. This is a great idea. I would definitely like to join, but unfortunately I fired all my international "The Greedy Sponge" promo-codes to press two days ago. :-/

Is there a way to buy more international promo-codes some how (I am new to AppStore, so no idea about that)?

Ivica