Volunteers needed

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by honeysmacks, Jul 6, 2009.

1. honeysmacks

honeysmacks New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Hey guys, I really hope I'm not posting in the wrong place here...

We're in the process of building an iPhone app, and wanted to get some feedback from the community about who is paying for apps vs downloading for free so that we can work out the best way to monetise. It would really really help us if you could fill out the following survey: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/153799/. It's completely confidential and anonymous and should only take 5-10 mins to finish.

As a thank you to people who help us out, you can elect to go into the draw to win one of 3 $20 iTunes vouchers so you can go and buy lots of shiny new apps for your phone/touch.

Any general comments about whether we should make our app paid or free would be very welcome, of course :)

Thanks!

2. NRunner

NRunner Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Completed. Hoping for the $20

3. Barbosa

Barbosa Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    Completed and hoping to win $20!

4. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Completed, wish you good luck with your app and hope it helps! :)

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    So Honeysmacks -

What are you going to do with e-mail addresses? Are they going to be sold? Is the survey for internal uses only?

I don't mind helping out, but I don't need any more spam, and I don't support groups that sell e-mail addresses, or surveys to other groups. If you are an independent developer, then all well and good.

And what app(s) do you make? You post does not say.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Survey completed. :cool:

7. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    A quick Google search came up with results saying that they posted this survey on Craigslist for most of the major cities in the U.S.

But... I completed it and I'm hoping to win a gift card :D

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Yeah - joined today, post for survey... Maybe legit, but maybe trolling for e-mail addresses, and stats to sell. I'll opt out unless further information is forthcoming.

9. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
  10. tymora01

tymora01 Active Member

Jul 2, 2009
    I truly hate spam, and would also like an answer to this question.

11. Nightstalker

Nightstalker Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Why so curious?
    Fishy

Yep, unless OP responds to Pluto6's questions, I would be very weary of taking his "survey."

12. honeysmacks

honeysmacks New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Me too! It's actually really hard to find users to survey if you don't have an existing user base though. craigslist gives you some users (with the advantage that they're not super tech-y users like forums tend to be), but as an example, even by posting to the top 20 cities, we've still only got 60 responses to our survey. We're looking for 250 to get statistical significance. Anyway, I apologise if this looked super suss.

In answer to your questions:
    - All email addresses will be deleted at the end of the competition. You will only hear from us if you win.
    - No email addresses will be sold or transferred in any way. There is no way this will be used as a spam list
    - We're in stealth so can't say what sort of app we're developing yet. I know that saying this looks suspicious too, but I can't compromise our first mover advantage.

I believe this post has been moved already so it probably won't help much with new survey takers, but I wanted to post to make those who had already taken the survey feel better. Thanks to anyone who took part and I hope you win a gift voucher.

13. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    I wouldn't try that survey :p I'm not one for that sort of thing if you want my age, gender and email. Yeah, I am paranoid, but it's better to be safe. Goodluck though :)

14. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Survey completed. :)

15. Jimmyy!

Jimmyy! Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Sunny Ole' England
    Finished the survey, really hoping to win one of those vouchers!

:D

16. NRunner

NRunner Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Seriously, do people really only have ONE email address? You gotta have an extra one for these kind of situations.

17. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

You can take the survey without leaving an email address.

The email is only for the contest entry. I used one of my several Yahoo addresses. Doesn't everyone have junk email accounts for this type of thing? :confused:

I would be interested to know the results of this survey.

18. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Finished but strangely I didn't sign up for the contest even though I spend like a 100 dollars on Apps per month

19. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I have plenty of extra emails. 32 to be exact. :D

20. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    They ask for those things for demographics. You know, if 18 year old males are more prone to spend lots of money on apps or if 50 year old females are.