Musa Monsoon: Air Pirates - Sidescrolling Horizontal Shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ktfright, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Sup guys,

I finally have 3 game on the app store, All of them commercial failures. Its alright though, because most people in my position would of quit by now, but I honestly do not want to. I love the idea of making a game, and I now have a very deep appreciation for developers, coders, artists, and musicians who make great games for the love of it. I also want to keep making games I like that hopefully other people will like also. I may not be the best, or greatest dev out there, but I'm always gonna do my best to bring great games to the app store, whether they sell or not.

Sorry for my rambling, but without further time wasted, I present...

Musa Monsoon: Air Pirates(Name might change)​

View attachment 13870

View attachment 13872

View attachment 13871

The concept of this game came out of nowhere, and I have been learning pixel art for the past month, and this is my first offering of it. This is also in its very early stages, and i have no idea what to put into the game.

I already have bosses and sub bosses covered, and it will have levels of gradual difficulty. I currently also don't have a list of weapons, so anything might help at this point.

I really don't know if this game will be a success, but at this point, I don't care anymore. This is also a big FU to the people that said all my games are crap!

2. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    here are pics if you cant see it...

securedownload-2.jpeg
    securedownload-1.jpeg
    securedownload.jpeg

3. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    I'm currently at school, but I now have a playable alpha build working, and I have the basic enemy and shooting done. I think this is gonna be an entry leve bullet hell type game, But I'm not sure about adding scoring. I want you to level up similar to OMG pirates, and the levels will be different. I also finally got the backgrounds scrolling, and I added some difficulty to the basic enemies.

more soon...

4. AjBlue7

AjBlue7 Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    id suggest to go a non-pixel root

5. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Pixels are awesome! you better have music though. Hopefully you need some good testers ;)

6. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Music is the best thing i'm good at! but now im working on level design and the sub-boss Ai.

7. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I like the graphics, refreshing from doodles :p
    But I have no clue what the game is...

8. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Its a horizontal Shooter like Platypus, except the stages are broken up as different levels, so some levels have sub bosses, others have Harder bosses, other levels have a mix of a boss and a series of smaller ships. Still need to write a storyline though...

You also will have 2-3 weapons + an airstrike type weapon at your disposal.

9. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Oh okay.
    What are the controls?

10. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Touch the screen to move at the moment. Hold the screen to shoot. I don't understand the tap to shoot method (must hurt like hell), and don't like Auto-shooting.

11. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Would be nice if it had some Adventure story in it :p

12. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    hopefully I can write up a good story for it, or just leave it as campaign modes.

13. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Update: so far, now I have most of the level design placeholders and UI done, and one of the bosses are done, so the game will have some type of progressive difficulty to it. It won't be "R-Type" difficult, but you won't win by mindlessly shootng stuff.

Also, the boss designs are going along good, and now I found a way to have a boss sort of react to a player's movement, and each boss has to be attacked a certain way. You have to change up your strategy in order to win.

One more thing: if there is a type of weapon you would like to see in this game, don't be afraid to post. So far I have a nuke-like type of weapon in the works, and the basif laser bullet.

More to come...

14. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Update:

so far the game is about 70% complete, and I finally got the save function working. Like I said before, I am tryng to make a game that plays akin to OMG pirates or something. I also am still changing up the UI, but since it is so late, I can't post any new updated pics. However, I will try to get all of this UI stuff finished, then add more assortments of weapons, and then the music. I want at least 3 music tracks for this, and music is my niche.

More to come...

Oh yeah, if you want to test, I'm kinda iffy on that because I had bad experiences with beta testers, but if you are a serious tester, PM me.

15. MichaelScott

MichaelScott Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I love the art style. Pixel art are best for iplatform screens.

16. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Updated pics!!!

Here are some newer pics of the game now. two of them show the bosses, but those bosses might change.
    photo.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    photo 3.jpg

Like i said, I still need to change up some user interface stuff, and maybe add more thing in the background.

More to come...

17. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Can someone tell me what type of user interface would work best for this type of art in this game, i currently have the text and buttons as placeholders? any feedback is good.

18. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Update!

Looks like the framerate is running good on an old iPod, so it should run better on everything else now. I ran across a serious bug while testing with the saving, but that is now fixed and it is improved with a more streamlined feel to it.

I also changed up so of the enemy art. At first, I wanted it to be like how you see 2-3 pallette swapped enemies, but some testers who game me feedback said that they basically looked the same. Now every enemy has their own attributes. For example, a stronger armored ship moves slower and is easier to shoot at, but they shoot back at you to compensate. The lighter enemy ships move about more, move faster, and are harder to shoot at, but are easier to destroy. The makes for some hopefully epic gameplay.

On another note, each level is similar, but still different in a sense. You fight high in the clouds, or even high up desert rocks and plateus, and maybe even in space if I feel like making a level like that. Like I said before, any feedback is helpful for me. I honestly want this to be the most polished game possible.

Till next time...

19. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Finally added another style of weapon, a shotgun of sorts, but the spread is good though. the bosses will have a more advanced version of it soon. I should really post up a vid for you guys.

20. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

look forward to the vid