Word Off! - Words with Friends meets Risk - by Toy Studio

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ToySoldier, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

Hi TouchArcade!

Hi TouchArcade! Toy Studio here. We wanted you all to be the first to know about our new game, show some screenshots and take any questions. We’re excited about the game and are dying to know what you all think.

Features
    - Asynchronous gameplay
    - Game boosts. Use them to gain advantage over you opponent
    - True cross-platform. Play on any HTML5 supported device.
    - Player stat tracking
    - Weekly, monthly and all-time leaderboards
    - Letters "A" to "Z!" ;)

How to Play
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supported Platforms
    The game is coming out on iOS but you’ll be able to log into any device that supports HTML5 and pick up wherever you left off.

On an iPhone but your best friend has an Android phone? You can still battle it out! Only have a computer and you want to play against your long lost twin who has a NOOK Tablet? This works too! We joke on the office that you can play this game any place you have electricity. If you think of HTML5 as electricity, then the analogy sticks.

Other Cool Things

This game started life on a white board. We spent a lot of time refining rules and gameplay elements even before it transitioned to computer code. You can see the original prototype here:

[​IMG]

We’re also doing a small beta phase right now, so if anyone is interested I can add some people. We'd love to hear what you think.

[​IMG]

You can discover a bit more information about Word Off! at the following places -

http://www.wordoff.com
    http://www.facebook.com/WordOffGame
    http://www.twitter.com/WordOffGame

2. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Looks really cool! I enjoy word game-strategy games (though right now there's only one I can really think of, but that took a far different route than your game). Out of curiosity, will this also have an AI controlled single player as well or possibly in a later update?

3. ToySoldier

Aug 16, 2011
    We don't have anything planned for a computer AI to play against. It was always designed as an asynchronous "with friends" style game. With it being playable where HTML5 is supported, games should be easily accessible. As for the future, anything is possible. It could happen, but it's very likely it will remain a multiplayer game only.

4. DodgerBlue016

Jun 25, 2011
    Here
    Ok, got it, makes sense. Only downside to the "with friends" games I ever saw was that without wifi (on an ipod touch) you couldn't do anything. One more question though: will there ever be the chance that more than 2 players would be supported, as in a 3-4 player game as well? The game looks like it could work with that (each base at a corner) but judging by the screens it appears 2-player only at the moment...

5. ToySoldier

Aug 16, 2011
    When we were prototyping the game on the white board, we started with 2 players. After a few tweaks to the game, we tried it with 3 and 4 people and that was a ton of fun with everyone trying to scheme and take territory. So, more than 2 players is a very real possibility. First, we want to see how people like the 2 player games and then expand on that later.

6. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Any plans on a free, ad-supported version? Multiplayer-only games live and die by the amount of players available to compete with, and such a version would strongly increase the chances of this game being a success (which I want to happen, as it looks great!).

7. ToySoldier

Aug 16, 2011
    We do have plans to do free and paid versions. I don't have more specifics right now, but I'll edit this post when I get the info myself

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    So it's like Quarrel, but instead of making words in battles, you make words in the board already?

9. AceWizard

AceWizard Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Studying to become an Electrician
    Sweden
    Seems really cool. I got both Risk and Wordfeud on my Iphone, cant wait to get this aswell.

10. MitchNied

MitchNied Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    Looks Awesome! Put me down for beta testing :)

11. ToySoldier

Aug 16, 2011
    #11 ToySoldier, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
    Quarrel is an awesome game! We had been making Word Off! since August and when it came out, we were slightly nervous the two games would be the same until we played it. Word Off! has a very different feel in how the gameplay unfolds. In our last podcast before the New Year, our studio director addresses it best.

@AceWizard - Thanks! Hope you like the game when it releases!

@MitchNied - Send me an PM and I can get you in on the beta

Actually, that gives me an interesting idea. I'm doing an internal tournament at the studio, but I can do one for TouchArcade too. If there are 16 people interested, we can make a beta tournament. I'll be sure to find a prize too :D

12. hobbitrjw27

hobbitrjw27 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I sent a private message to you about my interest in beta as well. Looks to be a neat game.

13. ToySoldier

Aug 16, 2011
    Sent you a PM back!

That means there's a few more people if we wanted to do a tournament!

14. DodgerBlue016

Jun 25, 2011
    Here
    I'd be interested in the beta as well, though I've admittedly not done much beta testing at all before....looks like a fun game!

15. ToySoldier

Aug 16, 2011
    We don't have a super rigid structure for beta tests. All we ask is that you share your thoughts on the game with us and others here!

Send me a PM and I can get you started.

16. hobbitrjw27

Apr 27, 2010
    I'd be game for a beta tournament as well! I'd recommend the website Challonge when it comes to setting it up. They offer different styles of tournaments. Elimination,round robin and swiss style mostly. I discovered it playing in a tournament another async style game ran,and it's really easy to use.

17. ToySoldier

Aug 16, 2011
    That is an awesome site! I was just running things off a (poorly) photoshopped bracket I made. Many thanks for sharing it.

It sounds like we have 3 people interested (including me) so we'd need a bit more for an 8 person tournament or quite a few more for a 16 player extravaganza.

18. hobbitrjw27

Apr 27, 2010
    No problem! The main thing with it is that one of the participants in each game (usually the winner) will need to go to the Challonge site and report the results of the game. So it's important to ensure that all participants have a Challonge account.

19. ToySoldier

Aug 16, 2011
    Now that we have a few in the beta, might as well share some usernames?

Mine is "Hijinkz" if you want to start a game with me!

(I'm also encouraging some of the other developers working on the game to jump in this thread. They'll be able to provide some additional insight into the game like why 4-player won't be available to begin with. Right now, I think they are watching me :eek: )

20. pixlepix

pixlepix Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    I do believe you have the only original word game out of the hundreds of crap ones. Sign me up for beta.