Universal Wave Wave (by Tom Janson)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#161 Bronxsta, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Which is why I kind of dislikes scores, totally subjective. While no game is perfect, what warrants 5 stars? Originality? Exceptionally fun gameplay? A jawdropping art style? An effective, effecting narrative? Should bugs be overlooked in the service of gameplay and story? Should a game with fantastic groundbreaking gameplay but poor story or a moving gripping story but average gameplay be eligible for a perfect 5 star score?

Would I give Wave Wave 5 stars? I don't know. A score would be leaning in the 4.5-5 area due to its stylish visuals, finely tuned gameplay, and how it takes a simple mechanic and crafts a wealth of modes and gameplay styles from that mechanic.

If I had to, games I would rate 5 stars? Incoboto, Badland, Hoplite, Edge Extended, A Dark Room, and others

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    For me, for a game to get full 5 stars reviews it needs to follow these guidelines:

Takes the genre a step further (evolves it)
    Is groundbreaking, its new and fresh, and feels like a game on its own
    For all types of gamers, not just a sector
    Doesnt drink too much from a particular game
    Visually stricking (doenst matter the art style)

If it doesnt follow this ones, its a 4.5 in my eyes.

But then, opinions, reviews and points of view are always subjective. I have my opinion and you have yours. Its all good, if it werent, humanity would be boring.
    Pretty much never seen people who can see both flaws and goods at the same time or that are really objective at all. Always subjective.

And for the record, I been a reviewer myself, making reviews for a website, long time ago, but had too many things to do and couldn't keep up.

I would like to know more about your top games. :)

Need to check Incoboto it seems (have the other ones, all favorites too, except Dark Room (not into 3D), heard way to many things about it, but it looks so weird. I guess one of those games where videos and screenshots dont do it justice.

3. Bronxsta

A Dark Room isn't 3D, it's a text adventure-style game. Maybe you're thinking of another game?

Other off the top of my head? Blek, Hundreds, Ninjin, Mini Dash and 14px, Fireball SE

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Yes, I was definitely thinking about another game, will check Dark Room out. Dont know Blek either so that one too :)

5. Masstertron

Masstertron Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Can anybody tell me if the achievements are uploading to Game Center correctly?

Thanks!!

6. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I absolutely love this game!
    I just broke the 60 second mark on the "easiest" random wave, and I'm getting a real feel for the timing now

I was delving into the Level Mode and encountered what is either bad design or a bug, I don't know which.

I completed the first three levels on "Tough Difficulty", but the fourth level isn't unlocked.
    It says I should beat more levels for it to unlock.
    Surely it's not by design that to open the fourth level on tough we have to beat levels on Hard Difficulty?

7. Masstertron

Masstertron Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, it's a bug. The fixed version is in review and should be up tomorrow!

8. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Great!
    :)

9. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Never mind. Please delete this post

10. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The patch is live.

I look forward to delve into the level modes now.

11. cobbyco

cobbyco Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    One of only 8 people to reach Random Wave Wave mode. My God...

12. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Man, you must have Ninja reflexes!
    I have yet to reach the sixty second mark on anything but "tough" difficulty in random mode.

13. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    This game just got an update. Did anyone notice any changes? Are any of the levels easier because I don't think I will ever be able to beat wave level 5 because of the inverted control change in the middle of the level. It's hard just to get to that spot and then they throw the inverted controls and it's really hard to adjust to that. I am afraid of updating because I want to make sure that this new update is safe and bug free and I also want to be sure that he didn't make the graphics less trippy and purposely glitchy.

14. Bronxsta

Game was updated

15. Colors seem brighter, or maybe it is my imagination. Also, there's more modes right?

16. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Nope, same amount

17. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    This game is amazing. I picked it up a month ago, and it is easily one of my favorite iOS games. :D

18. cobbyco

cobbyco Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    I did it. I completed the game. I unlocked the final level, which I swear is more impossible than Super Hexagon's final level...

And I love the extra stuff you get at the end. What a fantastic game!

19. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    You have to be lying no normal human could ever beat this game. Unless you were bitten by a radioactive spider, or you may think you are a human but you are actually a humanoid android that is not aware of their robotic origins.

20. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    is it humanly possible to live when inverse goes back to normal I swear I die without knowing what happened.