Flappy Divers are coming soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by helioxfilm, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helioxfilm

helioxfilm Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    #1 helioxfilm, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Dear Community,

I would like to share with you our latest small project, inspired by the infamous Flappy Bird game mechanic (and its predecessors :)).

The game is an endless underwater treasure hunt, packed with funny dead effects, sound and voice over effects, backed by a very energetic music track.

The game is free, universal, and coming soon for iOS and Android devices.

EDIT: updated info:
    out for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.helioxfilm.dmtreasuremania

Like our page at: https://www.facebook.com/divemastertreasurehunt

Here is the gameplay trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwIzQDnvCPs

Here are some screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Flappy clones.. I saw this coming :rolleyes:

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    That's inevitability.

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Yeah, we are going to be swarmed with those for a while :mad:

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cant wait for a card game variant called Flappy Decks. :D

6. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    Well, at the end we have changed our mind: while the game was planned to be released as a kind of flappy-clone, but finally we decided to take another route, and we publish it as a spinoff game of our upcoming original title, Divemaster, which is a divemaster simulator in casual visual style.

The new title is: Divemaster - Treasure Mania.

The iOS version is under approval, the android port is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.helioxfilm.dmtreasuremania

7. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Flappy divers would increase sales 10fold. Lol

8. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    Maybe at a shorter term, but we believe that this little game has more potential than a simple Flappy-clone. We hope that it will support the other game under a common "namespace".

9. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Good choice to change the name. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that any game with flappy in the title attempting to show "inspiration" from the predecessor is getting rejected.

10. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    It might be true very easily. From the ASO point of view there not much advantage anymore to include Flappy in the title, there is so many apps now in the store. And personally seeing this clone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t3Gn8Gw_lY was simply to much for me :)

When I did searches for the title decision, now there is more chance to be discovered by keywords like treasure and treasure mania than flappy + anything. Beyond that, treasures are in fact in my game, so it is a much better fit. Still, I included flappy mechanics in the description, so if you searched for flappy + divers, my game is quite close to the top.
    The chance that anyone will search for that particular term is very little, but still...

11. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    According to the news, Apple also rejects apps with Flappy + Bird...

12. thegraywolf

thegraywolf Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    It's a good move changing the game title. I also heard Google will be rejecting flappy apps too. Well it's pretty obvious that there will be a lot endless runners, I think this game adds something new on the table. I'm curious to see how this game will turn out. :)

13. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    Thank you very much. I am planning to add more and more features to the game, like dolphin bringing rescue belts, turtles are providing shields etc. Luckily, all game assets are ready, so I need "only" to find the best way to use them in the game.

14. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

"Flappy" against, waiting to play.

15. thegraywolf

Feb 3, 2014
    I like the idea. Or sharks giving you speed boost :D

I'm just wondering, how long did it take for you and your team to finish the game?

16. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    Since all the art assets were ready (except for the anchors and the lift platforms) approx 1 week was enough to finish the game, including many iterations, some testing and bug fixing.

17. thegraywolf

Feb 3, 2014
    man.. that's pretty fast. How many are you in the team? Do you guys do the art assets yourselves? I mean, is there someone like a graphic design artist or creative, I don't know how they call it.

18. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    It was possible only because we used the already finished graphic and sound assets from this upcoming game of mine, Divemaster. (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=106127&highlight=divemaster)

If we count in those artists who worked on the other game as well, than the team (which has never coexisted at the same time) was 6 people (1 graphic artist, 1 programmer, 1 sound effects artist, 1 soundtrack composer, 1 VFX artist and yours truly, as the game designer and producer).

If we count in only those guys who worked on the spin-off game it was only two (full time), the programmer and myself. Another graphic artist created the anchors and the barrel platforms, approx 5 hours work), and I purchased some assets from the Unity asset store, like the cartoon dead effects or the underwater effect pack (which was originally created because of my game, then the artist put on sale in the asset store).

So, as you see it is quite complicated to answer your question :)

19. thegraywolf

Feb 3, 2014
    Just by reading it makes everything feel more complicated. Game Devs should be given more credit to their work. Thank you for giving me an idea on what Game Dev team is compose of. I wish you and your team goodluck on this new game. I would definitely give it a try and recommend to my friends. :)

20. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    Thanks for your kind words. Right now we are working on the first update for Android, and still waiting for Apple to review the v1.0 for iOS.