Universal 80 Days (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    I also have the same version of the game on Android. That shouldn't be causing the confusion.

Instead I believe the route you take when entering Chittagong causes this difference. Take a look at these:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e1xv6y_7W8VWpQUUt0d3pVY28/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e1xv6y_7W8SnRsODdZbWRaREU/view?usp=sharing

Note how I can get onto the ship if I arrive in Chittagong from Colombo instead.

A similar case happens in Vienna. I remember your guide said if the player arrives on day 5 or before, the route to Belgrade will be available. But please take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e1xv6y_7W8R2t1WjhpSDdyMjA/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e1xv6y_7W8Q2xkT24xQ2NGNTA/view?usp=sharing

The availability is evidently not related to the date. Instead, it's about the route I took when going to Vienna. The train will have left if I arrive from Venice, no matter how quickly I go through the trips. But it will kindly wait as long as I took the Orient Express from Paris to Vienna.

BTW, I am sure one can obtain the flute when exploring Vienna. However I can't meet that guy to steal his flute in my recent games. I wonder if this is locked after a certain number of playthroughs.

2. pendell

pendell Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    No, I've done it pretty frequently in later playthroughs. I think there's a random element involved. The most obvious place this occurs is in Istanbul -- some days you wake up after an ordinary night, some days you wake up with silks.

BTW, I spent two hours on a playthrough last week trying to determine if the Paraffin could be used on the Brisbane-Auckland route. It can't. Evidently the preparation is only supposed to be used in the burner of a Roziere balloon, and Mcintyre's craft is not such a vehicle; it's his own homemade contraption made from parts salvaged from the local rubbish dumps.

BTW, when this comes out (it'll be a matter of a few weeks -- I am running down the individual leads to see if they pan out, which would take a week if I spent all my leisure time on it , and I won't) I'll be adding a line to credit you for your contributions. I'm using your user name Vadex. If you want me to use your proper name, email me and I'll get it in.

3. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    I think the case with Istanbul is related to your relationship with Fogg. I remember getting ordinary nights only when I am not getting along with him.

I have no proof, but I prefer to believe there are also similar mechanisms behind the case in Vienna. Most of the game (concerning character appearance and travelling routes) is not random, after all. For now, my conjecture is that I 'hurried away' from that guy once in a previous playthrough. Or maybe I met up with him again in Lisbon after stealing his flute...

FYI, Another user here also shares my view on Herr Danzer (flute guy):

Take your time to update your work. It's your guide and I'm just here to share my experience. You can just use VadeX for my name. Keep me posted in this thread if you find anything wrong with my suggestions. Likewise, I will see if I can uncover more 'secrets' of the game.

4. pendell

Jan 2, 2015
    #264 pendell, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Looks like you were right about Chittagong; entering it from Colombo allows us to use the steamship.

I suspect this is because if you ride from Calcutta, you're on the THUNDER already, so if it drops you off
    you obviously can't catch it again. Whereas if you arrive from Colombo you are ahead of the THUNDER and have
    a chance of catching it.

Any tips on mag-leving the trans-siberian? I wonder if perhaps we have seen different things, so I'd like to know how you do it.

BTW, I have *never* had a poor relationship with Mr. Fogg, and it's still random whether the
    silks show up or not. So I don't think that's the variable -- possibly the attribute ("Presentable", "Courageous", "Shabby") is.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

5. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Yeah that's probably the case. Note a similar case in Aden. You get off the Mongolia there and you can't get abroad again, but if you arrive from Stone Town you are free to board the ship to Bombay.

The ways as I remember are:
    #1: Get the kick from the conductor
    - Get on the ride from Vienna to Warsaw and meet a Russian gentleman
    - Ask him about the Trans-siberian railway to learn it is a maglev train and is capable of much higher speed
    - Board the Trans-siberian in Moscow
    - Ask the conductor to switch to maglev mode; he refuses
    - Find out the affair of Roza (the girl who fall in love with a boy in 4th class)
    - Find the conductor again and threaten him with this discovery
    - Volia!

#2: Get the boost from the train designer
    - Stay on the Trans-siberian after it reaches Omsk
    - Notice a strange pair gets on the train with highest security
    - Get acquainted with the woman, who will bring you to their room
    - Have a chat with them and find out the train can be sped up with maglev
    - Go for it
    Note the first way of doing so gives a much greater boost than the second since the train is sped up way earlier.

6. pendell

Jan 2, 2015
    Okay, finished investigating the leads and a new version is uploaded. Thanks!

7. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Great update! A few quick errors/inaccuracies I noticed in the routes section (or missed on my first read):

1) Venice-Sofia: can continue on to Istanbul

2) Missing: Berlin-Copenhagen route

3) May consider revising Vienna routes. Vienna-Budapest car ride should be separated from Vienna-Bucharest-Istanbul train route.

4) Bucharest-Thessaloniki: should be a carriage/car ride instead of a train ride.

5) Athens-Izmir: The ride is on a ferry.

6) Warsaw-Stockholm: can continue to Helsinki

7) Luxor-Manama: Part of an adventure, yes. Unique to said adventure, no.

8) Missing: Ha'il-Cairo (Can't post a screenshot now, but you can see my 86-city trip for evidence: http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=XDHUTaLKZ7&playerName=vadex)

9) Missing: Teheran-Baku route

10) Missing: Nsenga-Stone Town route

11) Missing: Ekaterinburg-Astrakhan route

12) Urga-Yokohama: I can confirm that you can still go on this route without the Mongolian Princess quest.

13) There is a unique trade good 'silk parasol' you can get on a journey in SE Asia (probably Singapore-Manila?)

14) Batavia-Brisbane can be sped up by skipping the dive in the Great Barrier Reef (haven't counted the days myself, though)

15) Beijing: There is a 'ceramic face plate' (forgot the actual in-game name) trade good you can get by scaring the opera puppeteers.

Some additional information you may want to explore yourself and possibly include in your guide:

1) Odessa-Novorossiysk is not available after Minsk-Odessa, I believe.

2) I think Istanbul-Izmir can possibly be delayed if you push the driver too hard.

3) The story arc in St. Petersburg is continued in St. Petersburg-Smeerenburg and in Smeerenburg. Don't think it yields anything useful though.

4) About Ruins of Belgrade, you can meet up with Herr Danzer in Lisbon after stealing his flute and ruining his life. Again, don't think it yields anything useful.

5) About German pirates, you can both discover the automaton companion and get the lapis eye from the captain. The reward in Istanbul will be higher or you can get an artificer's medallion instead.

6) About Mutiny at Sea, parties that can be recruited in your mutiny include: Catholic crew, Shinto crew, Chinese laborers, submariners, valets/batmen, artificer on-broad, and Mademoiselle Loretta. You may want to include those you have missed in the guide.

7) About Slavers of Timbuktu, I don't think it is significant enough to have its own section. It bears no effect at all on the characters and the routes/interactions ahead.

8) I think you didn't mention you can lose a unique trading item at the end of Quetta-Karachi? Monsieur Fix may steal something from your suitcase.

And that's all for now. VadeX out.

8. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Around the world in 4000 pounds

Ever thought of why you are given 4000 pounds at the start of the game, not 3000 or 5000? Apart from balance reasons, I thought this implies the trip can actually be finished without spending more than this amount. So a few days ago I started planning a journey to be as frugal as possible.

I did it after a few tries, and in time to win the wager too: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9e1xv6y_7W8TEg4SHo1Q1hvLWM&authuser=0

For those who are interested, this is how I did it:
    - Route: London->Paris->Bucharest->Istanbul->Beirut->Ha'il->Riyadh->Muscat->(Dvarka)Bombay->Agra->Calcutta->(Chittagong)Hong Kong->Yokohama->Honolulu->San Francisco->Burlington->New York->Washington->Ponta Delgada->Lisbon->London (Total cost of journeys taken: 3359 pounds)

- The run is done in seed III. The price of journeys seems to be the cheapest in this seed (in Europe, at least) and you can start with a traveller's cloak, which helps lowering the health requirements of many journeys.

- The most cost efficient section that I planned my trip around starts from Bombay. From there it only takes less than 400 pounds to go all the way to the American west coast.
    I can probably shave off a hundred or so if I skipped another one or two nights in hotel and I have yet to try in another seed. But yes, you can totally go around the world with the 4000 pounds you start off in. Please share if you have also tried similar runs.

9. pendell

Jan 2, 2015
    I'd love to ... but the latest update seems to crash on my Droid RAZR.

Any idea how to get in touch with Inkle tech support? I used the app's playstore interface to email [email protected] with my phone details and a description of the problem, but I have had no response.

I was hoping for an auto-acknowledgement of the form "Yes, we got your email and we're aware of the problem now."

I understand that a small company can't possibly address all bugs in a timely manner, but I was hoping that I could at least get an acknowledgement of the message. As it is, for all I know the letter went to a box no one reads.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    If you have Twitter try tweeting them @inkle

11. marzipanny

marzipanny New Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Can you buy the Thunder (?) ship going from Calcutta to Hong Kong

This is the ship where the captain is about to sell and hang out with his rich wife. The crew is pissed. If you talk to the first mate, she tells you that buying the ship costs some crazy amount (I think 31K?) has anyone actually purchased this ship?

12. Atticus

Atticus Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Hi guys,

Did anybody get to know in the meantime how to "save a sailor from amputation" in Brisbane?

I presume we need to know where the newspaper Moreton Bay Courier is located precisely to help the sailor find a competent doctor. We know it's in Brisbane, but we don't know exactly where yet.

There's been speculation we may get to know it via a girl we meet the previous evening in the city who also wishes to send a letter to the paper and we offer her the opportunity that we take it to the office for her. But she apparently refuses the offer no matter what by default.

It's been speculated that we need some kind of item to gain her trust and I'm just wondering if anyone on this board knows what that item is.

13. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    #273 Atticus, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Mac/PC Update 30 New City & New Challenge List

Also, judging from the currently available preview images, these might be the 30 new cities of the content update coming with the Mac/PC port (give or take one or two) for those interested:

Europe/Africa:
    Zurich
    Tunis
    Meteora Valley
    Ragusa?

Canada/Greenland:
    Vancouver
    Calgary
    Regina
    Winnipeg
    Toronto
    Ottawa
    Quebec
    Winisk or Peawanuck
    Ivujivik
    Narsaq?

USA/Central America/Pacific:
    Los Angeles
    Las Vegas
    Albuquerque
    Dallas
    Duluth
    Atlanta
    Miami
    Nassau?
    Salt Lake City??
    Denver??
    Omaha??
    Houston??
    Port Moresby
    Machu Picchu
    Rio de Janeiro
    Pitcairn Island

Moon

Plus (in who-knows-where): Atlantis, a 'floating First Nations village' & possibly El Dorado??

I put one question mark after cities the name of which I'm not sure of and two marks after those I'm not sure you can visit or are in the game after all.

Some of the challenges I gathered from interviews and PR:
    - join forces with Europe's most notorious international jewel thief by the name of Black Rose to discover the Artificers' greatest secret
    - rekindle an icy romance
    - abandon Fogg for love
    - be deputy to a Sheriff of the Old West
    - play poker with a billionaire (presumably in Vegas, I expect Swindlestones mechanisms to be used)
    - go over Niagara Falls (it's obvious where)

Some more obvious destinations:
    - travel to the Moon
    - soar with the Levitating Atheists of Meteora Valley
    - explore the Pitcairn Island
    - discover Port Moresby
    - discover Atlantis

And there's also some (new) murder and piracy hidden there somewhere.

EDIT: Vancouver, Calgary, Machu Picchu & Rio de Janeiro added.

14. Sisusi

Sisusi New Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Found the following by travelling randomly: take the airship from New Orleans to Havana with a rifle and a telescope and you can stop the Caribbean pirates (doesn't work on the way to Port-au-Prince though).
    Made me wonder about items that you might "find a use for". Any ideas for the cursed dagger?

15. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    80 days version 2.0? In a week's time? That's awesome! I will certainly get the PC version when it's out later this week.

About the new cities added, I would say that I'm really happy that inkle has indeed worked on putting those currently unreachable cities back into the game. While it's great to explore the Americas, Atlantis and whatnot, I would love to see more of East Asia and the Pacific. I would say that the current version of the game slows down once you reach East Asia. Cities there are really under-represented. How about cities like Bangkok, Hanoi, and Shanghai? (Not to mention that Shanghai plays a role in the original book by Vernes) It would be awesome if there are trips that cross the Himalayas, or retrace the ancient Silk road through central Asia.

Also there are very limited options to cross the Pacific as of now. I really wish to have a intercontinental express crossing the Bering Strait, or a island hopping trip in the Micronesia, or an airship connecting Australia and South America crossing over the Antarctica (and the mandatory accident while up there).

Still, I am sure the new version will be great as ever even without these adventures. Seems it's time to work on my map again! =D

16. Bina007

Bina007 Member

Aug 15, 2014
    New update

Did anyone figure out how to get to Zurich yet?!

17. coccodrillo

coccodrillo Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Yeah, important question: I want to visit the most livable city on the planet while travelling around the world.

18. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    If exploring Paris won't work then try asking Verne for a Paris-Zurich connection during your travel on the Amphitrite Express. (It was the latter that I found out about it.)

From Zurich onwards it's not hard to get on with the adventure that's off from there...

19. Joeschmoe

Joeschmoe Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Happy about this update! I'm enjoying exploring the world again, at Foggs expense since I'm not worried about the time limit. Lol.

I am surprised that we still can't shuffle around items in the luggage, though. It's annoying to have to throw stuff away or sell stuff to make room when all I really need to do is move a few things around.

20. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Time to finally play this game. People use to say that's a gem.