Super Splatform - 8-bit jumper (by P1XL Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Robin/P1XL, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin/P1XL

Robin/P1XL Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Here's a vine teaser of the 5 different worlds in the game: https://vine.co/v/hUE6wdjU37t

For those that like to hear the story behind it:

Back in 2002, I made a little platform game called Splatform for the Commodore 64, which took first place in a game coding competition. Your avatar continually bounced through procedurally generated (though not infinite) levels, and years later when Papi Jump and then Doodle Jump were selling so well, I thought, hey, that's (almost) my idea! Though maybe someone else had made a game like that before me.

Anyway, I ported my original Splatform game to iOS around 2009 but never released it, and we then started on a sequel, Super Splatform, in early 2010, which has been shelved numerous times since. The original Splatform finally saw release in 2011's "P1XL Party". Then, finally, over the last few weeks, we've crunched on Super Splatform to get it ready for a Christmas 2013 release. We sent the beta out to our testers last night.

The main "Super" gameplay takes place over 50 hand-made (rather than generated) levels, where the main goal is to find and bounce on the "finish line" platform. Secondary goals involve finding the (sometimes hidden) gold coin on each level, and completing the level in as few bounces as possible.

There's also the classic Commodore 64 mode (horizontal scrolling over procedurally generated levels), and an Infinite (vertical) mode.

2. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    Looks interesting. The hidden objects also sound cool. Looking forward to trying it out :)

3. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Thanks for the interest!

We submitted the game on Friday, so there's a chance it'll be released before the holiday shutdown.

Here's a few screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    A couple more screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Woah so handcrafted, random, and a vertical mode in one game? Plus hidden items? If this game has the tight controls to back it up I think you guys might really have something special :)

6. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Thanks, we hope so! The testers have enjoyed it so far. We've got three control modes: tilt, swipe, and a "two thumb" left/right mode (like Chillaxian).

7. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    We just released the gameplay trailer, featuring a quick look at each world (and each world's music!):

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Well definitely post on this thread as soon as you know the release date! I'm impressed and I'm gonna spread the word to some fellow members and the universal "Upcoming" thread. Hopefully this sneaks in before the shut down!

9. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    This brings back nightmares of playing Guild Wars 2's Super Adventure Box tribulation mode in world 2. Asia + high latency + bugged spring pads = 2 hours of agony dying over and over again lol

10. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Definitely looks pretty awesome! Love the music, too.

11. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    The addition of touch and swipe controls does wonders for playability, at least for me, being inept at tilt games.

12. Looks pretty cool, kinda reminds me a little of Bean's Quest.

13. shroomAzoom

shroomAzoom Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Beta Impressions

I've had the privilege of beta-testing Super Splatform for the past few weeks (and have played the various other incarnations of the game as well.) This new Super Splatform is worthy of the "Super" in it's title. In my opinion, it's super enjoyable to play (especially with the addition of the thumb control) and the difficulty ramp is gentle. Although, by the time you hit the end of World 2, you'll definitely be on the tough slope of that curve. (See attached screenshot.)

Music, graphics and gameplay have all come together for this one. I don't think the trailer does the game justice. :)

Attached Files:

14. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Maybe you could give us a little more gameplay? :)

15. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Like, a video showing some full levels? I can probably work on that soon.

We just put a web page for Super Splatform, and we'll announce the release date very soon: http://p1xl.com/splatform/

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yay! That's great

17. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Super Splatform will launch on Wednesday, December 18th, for $1.99.

It's Universal, and will run on any iPad, iPhone 4 or newer, and iPod 4g or newer.

18. LastNinja64

LastNinja64 Member

Dec 6, 2013
    I loved the Commodore 64 reference. You probably know Last Ninja :)

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yes!

20. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Yes, Last Ninja is a fantastic game :)

I'm a huge Commodore 64 fan; in fact, I made the original Splatform game on the Commodore 64, back in 2002, for a mini game programming competition. It took first place. You can download it here: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=7183