Ipad 2 not really comfortable in gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Borgqueenx, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I game alot on my ipad2, but duo to its sharp edges i dont really find it comfortable to use longer then half an hour.
    Im sure im not the only one, and i was wondering if there already was made a solution? Maybe a case-idea but only for the edges?

2. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Clearly, the solution is to send me your iPad 2 and let me check it out for awhile. A year or so ought to be enough time ...

3. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Sorta in the wrong section... But I have an Ipad2 and I havent had any problems with it? Are you holding in a strange way? Also the ipad has rounded/curved edges so I'm not sure what the sharp edges you are referring to

4. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    With a smart cover underneath my iPad all the time I never noticed the sharp edges. Or you can always wrap it in a case.

5. MeteorFlare

MeteorFlare Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Interesting find, as the iPad 2 would be hitting my sunny shores soon.

I would definitely benefit from user experiences on the product.

I am a proud owner of the original iPad. But, the itch is killing me.

Please do go on more about the various issues you guys have got so far with it. I would like to weigh it against the pros of a 2x faster processor and 9x graphical speed and a slightly lithe frame coupled with a thinner overall weight.

6. High Popalorum

High Popalorum Active Member

Apr 9, 2011
    You're not. The beveled edges are too sharp an angle for me to hold comfortably for long. The corners and edges dig into my palms when held one-handed. I will case mine with some sort of skin that covers the edges and back, making the iPad thicker and grippier. Obviously, these are highly-individualized complaints.

Another minor complaint: when holding the device upside down, resting the edge on a hard surface is enough to hit the sleep button.

7. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Most games are very well suited for an ipad posed on an inclined surface.

Many ipad support case allow that well and some will even work for both horizontal or vertical. For sure this won't match well some transport usage but even some like train or plane can include a little table for that purpose.

8. SirAwesome

May 20, 2010
    Its amazing :) The device is really light, I can hold it comfortably in one hand for extended periods. Plus check out the TA article where they highlighted ipad 2 games. Infinity blade is amazing so is RR2 HD. Plus the HDMI out feature espically in the upcoming update for RR2 Hd will be amazing.

Personally Id stay away from gameloft games as in my opinion they look horrible on the ipad (yes the HD versions).

Trust me I waited in line on launch and havent regretted it one bit. Only wish i could use it more, darn college

9. PONGbyATARI

PONGbyATARI Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I keep mine in a Targus Zierra Case I purchased at Best Buy it's not cheap $60 (I picked up one that someone had opened $50) but well worth it in my opinion. Great as far as comfort goes and nice to protect your iPad too.

10. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Well i definatlupy also going to purchase a case or something. This doesnt work for me. It just hurts after a while

11. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Its the best device available. If you have one don't complain.

& yes I have one.

12. nicoga3000

nicoga3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've never found it to be uncomfortable with the smart cover wrapped around. It really is soooo much lighter than the first, and most definitely faster, snappier, and crisper. I have literally abandoned all other gaming platforms and systems because of this stupid thing, haha.

13. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    I think part of the reason why some iPad games being not as comfortable is due to the unnatural position of the Dpad location.

I have posted a thread and poll regarding this,

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=90525

Picture yourself playing on the iPad, watching a movie or even just browsing, how would you hold the iPad and where your thumb should be located. Hold it in such a way that you won't drop the device. Most iPad games Dpad position is placed too low below.

14. SirAwesome

May 20, 2010
    Yeah I agree, one of the more recent example I can think of is Max and the Magic Marker. Some reviews mention that it was uncomfortable to play on the ipad but was better than the ipod version because of the extra screen space.

15. AP9TV1

AP9TV1 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    YouTube
    I feel the same way, but it also just depends on how you're holding the iPad.

16. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

My experiences...

I have had the iPad 2 for exactly 2 weeks now - (I had the original preordered for delivery on launch last yr) -

I felt that last year, there was far more available on April 3, built for the iPad. This year, there's only a handful of apps. It seems little to no developers are even factoring in how to enhance their hd apps.

I find the new iPad a little too thin. It's almost too flat on the back and becomes too thin to grip for long periods of time. I had been using the smart cover folded half way on the back (covers the fuzzy edge, so dust won't stick and scratch screen when covered), as well this method adds comfortable bulk to hold in landscape and won't put my fingers on the camera.

I have been using an iluv flex gel case (durable and tougher than thought would be) which I got on the cheap from Amazon. I felt the back needs more protection than the scratch resistant glass screen.

All in all, I got mine in black. I wanted white and had one on order (camped at an apple store to get the one I have and cancelled order) - until I saw the white side by side with the black. The white has an ugly black separation from screen and bezel and overall, looked kinda...cheap? Compared with the black. Less seamless maybe?

Well, anyhow, the new iPad is great and zippy, but after some time....feels underwhelming if you owned last gen. It's still a fantastic device. There just isn't any content to justify the new tech inside.

There probably won't be until iPhone 5 - which will most likely carry the same internal tech. Developers need a user base to justify expense and development and iPad 2 just doesn't have that yet.