Purchase an iPhone 4S now or wait?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by epinephrine, Mar 20, 2012.

1. epinephrine

epinephrine Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hey guys! Just a quick question.

I've been rocking the iPhone 3GS since the first month it released - probably a couple years already. Overall, it's done me good, but with my increasing number of songs and games, and with the decreasing battery life (I've had to manually change the battery two times already!), I think it's time for an upgrade.

So here's my questions: should I purchase a 32GB iPhone 4S right now? Or should I wait it out until the iPhone 5? The lag on my 3GS is almost to the point in which it's unbearable and unusable, and a 4S sounds really tempting right now. The 5 probably isn't going to come out any time soon, so I'm leaning more towards buying it now.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    That's a tough one. You're in-between the time Apple released the 4S and the time Apple will probably release the 5.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_4S#Timeline_of_iPhone_models

It really comes down to what you think you can manage. 3GS for a couple of months then get the next generation which will last longer than the 4S, or get the 4S now?

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    if you want to wait till october for the new one. imho get the 4s it will hold at least as long as your 3gs

4. epinephrine

epinephrine Member

Mar 20, 2012
    I don't think it's only going to be a couple of months until Apple releases a new iPhone. They released the 4S last year in October, so it would only make sense if they released it later to get the maximum number of customers.

It's a tough choice haha. If I do purchase it, I can probably use it as long as I used my 3GS, which was a little more than two years. Anyone else?

5. Vidkid72

Vidkid72 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Wait it out! I am still rocking my 3G! Admittedly it's quite useless for apps. I use it as a phone, email and text device. I'm waiting for my wife to get the iPhone 5 and I'll inherit her iPhone 4. :)

6. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    @epinephrine I have same problem as you. While my 3GS is not best device for playing games these days, I'll wait for iPhone 5. Meanwhile.. I'll probable get myself the new ipad. But then, again, there is a question... Should I wait for iPad 3 (or whatever they'll call it) with super duper performance and even greater graphics and screen with more pixels per inch and water cooling system to prevent The Newiest iPad from overheating, etc..
    But thats why I love and hate Apple at the same time.
    So, I'd say lets wait for iPhone 5 ;)

7. b00mers

b00mers Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    whiterun
    keep your 3gs but buy a 4s aswell, then when apple announce that the have a press confrence where they will unveil an iphone 5, sell the 4s(providing you keep it in good condition you can sell it for near full price) then preorder the 5, and use ypour 3gs to wait out the few weeks until you get the 5, then sell your 3gs aswell and your done

8. epinephrine

epinephrine Member

Mar 20, 2012
    The only thing that's keeping me back from waiting for the iPhone 5 is the jailbreak. I have never run any iDevice without a jailbreak for more than a day (biteSMS is far too useful)!
    I heard that iPhone 4S 5.1 jailbreak is coming pretty soon, so that's why I want a 4S now and not a 5, since the iPhone 5 could take months before it's jailbroken. :/

9. cotton julius

cotton julius Active Member

Mar 28, 2012
    My suggestion is to wait for the better product - iPhone 5. Be patient!