Is there a way to disable GC challenge notifications?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, May 9, 2013.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I never got many (or maybe even any) challenges via GC. But over the past month or so I've suddenly been flooded with them -- often for games I don't even own! I got 26 yesterday from the same person and, again, for a game I don't own. I wouldn't have minded these if they were occasional and for games I do have but it's just been insane how many I get now regardless of who it is.

Is there a way to turn it off (just the challenges - not friend requests)?

2. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Can you name the games? I'd like to see if there's a pattern here (ie developer abuse). Ultimately, it's down to players and developers to police iOS (by boycotting sales) of any developers exploiting or abusing players.

3. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    If it's specific people sending the requests, then you could just de-friend them?

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'll have to take a look. At work and GC seems to take forever to load even with good WiFi. But that's a good point. It could be developer abuse. Before this started to be a problem, I didn't even think you could get a challenge for a game you don't own.

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Go to Settings -- Notifications --- scroll down -- there is a thing that says "show game center alerts from" -- choose everyone (default) or my contacts only. Lots of other settings to customize as well.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks. Just took a look at that. Wish there was one just disable the challenge notifications.

Still gotta look to see if there are specific games that are the culprit.

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Checked my GC Challenges and it looks like the biggest culprits are Prismadrop, Happy Street and Campus Life -- all freemium games that I do not own. Different devs too. But if some devs are forcing challenges to be sent as a way to promote their apps, that's total BS.

8. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I don't think there's a pattern. I have about 50 notifications and they're from Temple Run 2, Geo Drop HD, Zombie Tsunami, Super Stickman Golf 2, Real Racing 3, Hay Day, The Voice.

The only one I own from these is Zombie Tsunami.

Edit: the challenges is from like, 8 different people.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've also had the odd app (I'll write down the name next time) come up with some annoying notification. I've checked my settings/notifications and they're all turned off to basically 'dont annoy me' but i still get them.

But yep GC notifications are annoying as anything. Same for anyone who spams your facebook/twitter updates to the game they're playing (just to get some free coins or something), they're instantly deleted!

10. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Yeah I always used to get 'Campus Life' challenges from a friend, he said he didn't mean to send them. Weird, since I dont have the game, and that they were all from her. (I'm fairly sure she is the only one of my friends who would download that type of game anyway)