Gameloft needs better game compression?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by don_k, Jul 12, 2010.

1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    What do you guys think of Gameloft games filesize? I think it's ridiculous. Similar games with more content and depth are often way smaller in size.

Example:
    Asphalt 5 - 245mb
    Real Racing - 138mb
    Need For Speed Undercover - 94.7mb

Since most of their games have dropped to $0.99 now, I find myself taking them pretty lightly like cheap throwaway comic books. Bought them, played them for a few minutes then deleted them to make space and never touched them again.

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    True. Also, they need better games.

3. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    While your at it here is an other 1 Driver 404MB

4. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    I say nay, compression is nice for those with 8gb iDevices but with compression comes mega increases to loading times and subpar performance in games that needs to access the data all the time. I don't know if xenome is compressed but if it is that would explain the jarate poor performance. If not imagine how even more jarate poor it would be! :)

5. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I agree with the first poster 110%! Prince of Persia is over 500 MB. Most of their games have 1 min or so movies at the beginning that could be done away with. I'd rather get straight into the game.

6. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    To be fair, Driver and Prince of Persia were PS1/2 ports; not much they could do there in terms of filesize.

7. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I agree, I like some of their games, but not all.

8. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    You can't really expect their games to be like 50 mb, so I always make sure i only have a maximum of 3 of their games at a time to not take up too much space

9. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I agree with this 1000% ... The bigger the file, the quicker I want to get through it and delete.

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    when i see an update out that just "fixes a bug" or "optimizes gameplay" for a gameloft game, i just want to kill myself.

11. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

If you want games on your iPod/iPhone/iPad that get nearer to console games, then you have to accept the fact that they will get bigger in terms of mb. I mean Chinatown Wars isn't the biggest game ever (and has no voice acting), yet is still over 600mb when installed.

12. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    then you'll want to kill yourself each time gameloft submits an update, then

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    exactly.

14. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i guess good thing gameloft dose not update there software often. hah

size dose n ot bug me.. if i need more space ill just get a bigger ipod..
    ( would be cool if it could take a sd card tho.. would store all my music on them.. )
    i have yet to run out of space on my 32 gig ipod.. ill probably get a 64gig gen 4 ipod tho.. as my ipod is almost ready to be retired.. pout.. as the games will get bigger as the device gets more powerful.

and im pretty sure GTA is the largest file i have on my ipod.
    chris.

15. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I think Gameloft really does suck at keeping their file size down. A gam like Blokus should not take over 90 megabytes, even if it was made by a really inexperienced programmer who was using Unity.

16. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    but GTA has tons of graphics AND content, whereas gameloft's games only has the graphics and NO content, though they both have similar quantities of MBs.

17. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I don't understand such hate against Gameloft. Sure they tried a lot to port fps 3D shooters on iphone and that sort of game don't work well on iphone. Also their original games are often clones but not all. For me:
    • Block Breaker Deluxe 2 is the best brick breaker of all, if not quite close.
    • The Oregon Trail is an excellent adventure resource management game.
    • Assassin Creed is a good platform game.
    • Rayman 2 is a good platform game.
    • The Settlers is a good strategy game.
    • NFL 2010 is a good sport game.
    • Real Football 2010 is a good sport game.
    • Dungeon Hunter 3D is a fairly good diablo like game.
    • Most of their games allow a level of controls customization I'd like to see in all games.

18. Notthevictim

Notthevictim Well-Known Member

Quick question. I have a new 8 GB ipod Touch (it was a gift) and have kinda filled it up with games (especially gameloft games). They take up a lot of space!! When I delete them off my Ipod do all my saves go with it?

19. mkrishnan

mkrishnan Active Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #19 mkrishnan, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
    What you have to do is sync the device. When you sync it, all the save game, etc, data gets cached on the computer. Then, if you delete it and re-install it from the computer later, it gets re-installed with the save game info automatically (you can't re-install it over the air, though... has to be from the computer).

On the main topic, I think their games are large, but they also have done a nice job of bringing high value / large games to the iPhone. I have a 32GB iPhone 3GS, and it's pretty full... so I have to watch what games I keep loaded on it. But over time, I've probably spent the vast majority of my gaming time on the iPhone playing various gameloft games over the past couple of years....

20. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Unless OS4 made some huge changes that I'm not yet aware of, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of a backup. You could restore from a backup, and that would regain your save data, but you'd lose everything you've done since the backup.

So to answer the question: Yes, the save data gets deleted with it.

Anyway, on topic, Earthworm Jim takes up more than 200 megabytes. I have no clue how it does it.