New game, main character ninja or a thief... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PixelEnvision, Oct 22, 2011.

1. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Hello everyone,

Now our first game is out, we were already working on the 2nd one...

Game play mechanics are mostly complete and it will be a very unique one.

It's not a tower defense, platformer, physics puzzler or something like that. I haven't seen (hope it stays that way till our release) a game with similar game play.

Initially, we were thinking about using a thief character but recently decided using a ninja would suit the game much better.

But since there are lots of ninja (and zombie) games out there, we're not so sure... Getting lost on the ninja games sea, etc.

So, any suggestions or opinions are welcome...

We will also be looking for beta testers (about a week before the release), you may also post here if you are interested in testing such a game...

Thank you!

2. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    Well this way i have no idea what kind of game is this... It's hard to tell what would be better... a ninja or thief..

3. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    You're right about that but the problem is, I cannot reveal more of it at this point...

I can say is that chosen character will be in pursuit...

Actually, rven just knowing which one of them would attract your attention more would help...

Fx, if we decided to go with the ninja, what would be your first thought?
    "Nah, another ninja game..." or "Ahh, another ninja game!'

:)

4. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    More likely "Nah.. another ninja game".. There are really too much of them, just like the zombie games...

A thief would be better overall..

5. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    If he is pursuing, then a ninja, if he is pursued, then a thief, imo.

6. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    that's my reaction

7. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Thanks for posting your opinions, it sounds like we should try to stay away from the ninja theme...

8. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    If I'm getting this right, you basically want a 'stealthy' character... I'm sure there are other ideas you can use besides ninjas and thieves, aren't there?

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Another vote for 'no' to a ninja ! Everything seems to be Ninja in the app store at the moment (or zombie), ridiculous !

10. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Trouble is getting the look of the thief right. Unless you plan to give him a "just broke out a prison" or a "on the way to loot a bank" look... it's not going to be very obvious that your character is a thief. On the other hand... ninja is far too abused in app store. Sorry for throwing in a problem without a solution.

11. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Ninjas are over-used on iOS now. Plus, I think the 'theif' character is cooler, or more mysterious.

12. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Thanks everyone for all the input so far...

It's clear that the ninja theme is not so attractive now, I think we'll stick with the original plan...

@spidey, you're right on the spot... We were actually planning to use cartoony "just broke out a prison" look. I will post some sketches once we're happy with it...

@Echoseven, we originally pick thief (or robber) as it fits the game play better. Actually it can be adapted to use many different characters as long as the character is in-pursuit (or wants, chases, etc) something.

But of course I cannot expect more input from you at this point, without revealing the game play. But, since it's kinda unique I'd like to save it till we have playable beta.

I think that one will either be a huge hit or massive fail. :)

13. doodlepoodle

doodlepoodle Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If I read "ninja" then I think "again another ninja game" ... when I read "thief" I think "That might be interesting" ... just my first impresssion without knowing the game.

14. Aedan

Aedan New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Trouble has always a solution but of cource Ninja can defeat the trouble ninja is far too abused in application store but Sorry for throwing in a problem without a solution.

15. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Thank you for all the replies, which helped us a lot! :cool: