The best way to utilise GameCenter in a non-scoring game like Circix

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by kinoro, Sep 8, 2014.

1. kinoro

kinoro Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking to integrate GameCenter into our puzzler Circix following feedback from various website/store reviews, and I would love to get your thoughts of how I might best achieve this.

Circix does not currently have a scoring system in the main game and therefore a leaderboard in GameCenter wouldn't really make sense. I guess I could have a leaderboard of who has completed the most levels.

I am fully aware that I can also introduce some achievements into the game and this is something I will certainly look into.

Has anyone else had a similar dilemma? Or as a player, have you seen other games have leaderboards based on number of levels completed rather than on score? Would love to hear everybodys thoughts.

Kind regards,

Russ

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    The major problem with using the number of levels completed is the top of the leaderboards. The people who chase the #1 position will be the same people who complete your game.

Your game seems like it's a puzzle game, can you add a timer (which could be invisible everywhere but the leaderboard itself)? Number of seconds to complete certain key levels and an overall score for those who beat the game. That's the direction I'd probably head.